Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 1, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,546 of 7,358
Headfonia takes a first look at the Diana V2 in this preview article:
https://www.headfonia.com/abyss-diana-v2/

abyss-diana-v2-1.jpg

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #1,549 of 7,358
The original Phi finish is my favorite of the lot.
I would expect the phi with stock cable to be better than the v2 with SC cable... You must really hate that colour Chimney. What colour do you have at the moment?

I just get reminded of the cold months in Chicago when looking at the original Phi finish. :p

I have the coffee color.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,551 of 7,358
IMG_2216.jpg
I can speak only to the Diana PHI, but I think V2 and PHI use the same cable

I purchased a balanced cable for my Diana PHI from CorpseCable . com (cardas)

The difference wasn't subtle going from stock unbalanced Abyss cable (with 1/4 inch adapter) moving to my new balanced cable into my Cayin iha6.

Not sure balanced vs unbalanced is always a game changer, I think it depends somewhat on the amp. On my GSX mk2, both sound VERY close, but on the Cayin... no contest.

Same connectors as the HD700

-steve

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,552 of 7,358
I can speak only to the Diana PHI, but I think V2 and PHI use the same cable

I purchased a balanced cable for my Diana PHI from CorpseCable . com (cardas)

The difference wasn't subtle going from stock unbalanced Abyss cable (with 1/4 inch adapter) moving to my new balanced cable into my Cayin iha6.

Not sure balanced vs unbalanced is always a game changer, I think it depends somewhat on the amp. On my GSX mk2, both sound VERY close, but on the Cayin... no contest.

Same connectors as the HD700

-steve

Well, it depends on the amp and chain. If you are using a chain that was designed with a balanced topology, it'll sound better balanced (usually lol).
It's usually just a question on where the designers put their resources.
There are amps that have a balanced connector but it is just a doubled SE signal, and those would usually sound about the same through both connectors.
An easy way of knowing is if the power rating is about doubled from the balanced (true balanced), or if they are about the same (doubled SE signal)

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #1,553 of 7,358
I'm still enjoying the heck out of the Abyss Diana V2. I'm powering it with my FiiO A5 and almost exclusively streaming off of Tidal.
I'm currently listening to Distant Worlds by Nobuo Uematsu. The high frequencies that this driver delivers is a treat. Never fatiguing, but still detailed and extended -- this is starting to become one of my favorite sound characteristics of this headphone with vocals right behind it.

Then there's the overall pleasantness of the balance that this headphone strikes with all frequencies. It's really mesmerizing at times. Orchestral pieces are great.

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #1,554 of 7,358

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,556 of 7,358

I disagree with him on many things in this review. I had the diana phi before I got the 1266 TC. The diana to my ears is a better headphone in almost every way. Diana to me is more of a reference style tuning. I love my 1266 and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #1,557 of 7,358
That review was way off.... Once I added a few Dekoni nuggets, comfort is perfect. Honestly, in stock form I find the Dianas very uncomfortable as he said too much pressure just above my ears.

SQ is unbeatable. !!!!! Dynamic, fast, open... articulate with hard hitting bass. I've owned about every flagship, and these are my daily drivers.

I understand we all hear differently, but dam, his experience is totally different from mine.
Sold my Utopias and STAX 007s with no regret.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,558 of 7,358
I'm actually realizing that I prefer listening to my Diana V2 with bass boost on when using my FiiO A5. Then again, maybe this is just a phase.

I'm also considering buying a complimentary headphone. Something under $1,000 would be preferable.

Any ideas? My mind is going towards Fostex TH-900 or HD 800S.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,560 of 7,358
That review was way off.... Once I added a few Dekoni nuggets, comfort is perfect. Honestly, in stock form I find the Dianas very uncomfortable as he said too much pressure just above my ears.

SQ is unbeatable. !!!!! Dynamic, fast, open... articulate with hard hitting bass. I've owned about every flagship, and these are my daily drivers.

I understand we all hear differently, but dam, his experience is totally different from mine.
Sold my Utopias and STAX 007s with no regret.
the fact that you added degoni nuggets to your diana supports the reviewer's criticism of the diana phi's comfort, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back