Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,502 of 7,421
I got the Hugo 2 because I wanted to simplify my chain (previously had the Mjolnir 2 and the Cayin iDAC-6) and wanted one (preferably small and somewhat postable and not tube) item to replace both. Hugo 2 had enough power for what I needed, and after selling both, I actually barely needed to add anything so that was great too.
Have never heard the Hugo (1).

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,503 of 7,421
perhaps i am missing something here so please correct me if i'm wrong people buy diana because is is portable abyss but there is no portable amp or dap in the world that can feed it sufficiently
I'm sure some people do, but for me, a $4,000 pair of headphones are not portable. They will be used in a desktop environment by me, when I do get them.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,504 of 7,421
perhaps i am missing something here so please correct me if i'm wrong people buy diana because is is portable abyss but there is no portable amp or dap in the world that can feed it sufficiently
I think you’re right, I think this headphone requires a “transportable” amp or better. I have the v2 on loan and it sounds bright with my dap, my dealer has me trying out the woo w11, which is in the way too.

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,506 of 7,421
You can probably drive them from the sp1000 with the amp module.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,507 of 7,421

You can run Diana off a Chord Mojo, will sound great.
but... will be even that much better off a fixed amp with enough power. Honestly, you can say that about any high-end headphone.
4K for a headphone is a lot of coin, probably better not to walk the dog wearing it, but I've taken mine on business trips powered off my Chord Hugo and been plenty happy with the SQ.

The majority of my listening is at my desk plugged into my GSX MK2.... but... if the cat chewed through the GSX power cable (and died), I'd still be plenty happy listening right out of my Hugo V1.

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #1,508 of 7,421
I wish I could bring my AB-1266 Phi TC on business trips with me along with the my Hugo TT2 but that is a lot to bring. I am crazy enough to travel with my SP1000 and Noble Khan though. For me they are more than good enough for travel use. When home I usually listen to my two channel setup up unless it is too late. Then I break out the abyss.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,509 of 7,421
I think you’re right, I think this headphone requires a “transportable” amp or better. I have the v2 on loan and it sounds bright with my dap, my dealer has me trying out the woo w11, which is in the way too.
i found that the diana v2 sounded brighter than the utopia to my ears, which was surprising. they were both driven by a conductor V2+, which has ample power.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,510 of 7,421
i found that the diana v2 sounded brighter than the utopia to my ears, which was surprising. they were both driven by a conductor V2+, which has ample power.

Say what? I wouldn’t describe the Diana V2 as bright at all, let alone brighter than the Utopia. The 800S is brighter than the V2, and I wouldn’t even call the 800S that bright (the 800 is though).

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,511 of 7,421
Say what? I wouldn’t describe the Diana V2 as bright at all, let alone brighter than the Utopia. The 800S is brighter than the V2, and I wouldn’t even call the 800S that bright (the 800 is though).
just my impression based on a recent comparison. it's not intended to be a criticism of the diana/v2's sound signature, which impressed. i've not compared the hd800s to the diana. however, i did prefer the tonal balance of the hd800s to the hd800, which i found too bright.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,512 of 7,421
just my impression based on a recent comparison. it's been a while since i've heard the hd800s and i've not compared it to the diana. i did prefer the hd800s to the hd800, however.

Fair enough. I’m just surprised by your findings. The Utopia is too harsh for my ears, and I find the Diana V2 a little on the smoother side of neutral. But we all hear differently, and that’s a fact.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #1,513 of 7,421
Fair enough. I’m just surprised by your findings. The Utopia is too harsh for my ears, and I find the Diana V2 a little on the smoother side of neutral. But we all hear differently, and that’s a fact.
true enough

ps i edited my previous post :relaxed:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,515 of 7,421
Would be cool to get a Diana TC, but there will be a small collective groan from all recent owners of the D-phi as its value plummets.

I paid full price less than a year ago for mine (no regrets, it's amazing), but D-phis on used market go for 2250 +/- (at least the last one on Audiogon sold for that). Diana TC will kill current owners.

Perhaps a reasonable upgrade fee for current dedicated customers, when the time comes. :)

Honestly, keep innovating, I knew what I was getting into when I fell into the money pit of high end audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back