Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,052 of 7,405
I have owned the i4 in the past and currently own Diana & Phi CC. I would take either over the i4 any day.

I’m choosing between the Diana Phi and LCDi4. Will the Diana Phi be worth the extra money?
I could buy the i4 this fall, but purchasing the Diana Phi would necessitate saving until early next year. Hmmm
Either way, I’m looking forward to attaining portable headphone endgame.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,054 of 7,405
Why? How so? What type of music do you listen to? What advantages do the Diana hold over the i4? Any input would be appreciated, I won’t be able to audition them anytime soon.
I haven't heard Diana but I own Phi CC and the LCDi4. It's like asking if a two door sports car is better than a four door sports sedan. It's an apples to oranges comparison in my view. The LCDi4's are amazing, but they are not a full size HP. I assume Diana is amazing, but it's not a pocket friendly and efficient open IEM. The i4 is also half the cost. I plan to purchase Diana Phi and keep my i4's.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,055 of 7,405
I agree with your comparison. I would only get the i4 if you can't carry the Diana/DPhi with you. The original Diana, to my ears, is better than the i4 in every category, other than portability.

I haven't heard Diana but I own Phi CC and the LCDi4. It's like asking if a two door sports car is better than a four door sports sedan. It's an apples to oranges comparison in my view. The LCDi4's are amazing, but they are not a full size HP. I assume Diana is amazing, but it's not a pocket friendly and efficient open IEM. The i4 is also half the cost. I plan to purchase Diana Phi and keep my i4's.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,056 of 7,405
Ah, I see, nice analogy! It's hard to decide which to purchase first. On one hand, i4's can sound great out of my iPhone, but @HiFiGuy528 comments Diana sound unlike anything else and belong in their own category (with only the 1266 besting them). That is a bold claim, but if true could be worth the extra bulk compared to the i4's.

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,057 of 7,405
I should mention the original Diana model remains current, so we will have two Diana models going forward.

Also to clear up confusion on the naming/drivers, the current Diana uses the same tech as the AB-1266 Phi, but it's not the exact same driver, different materials, etc. This new Diana Phi has the same drivers as in the AB-1266 Phi CC, sans a few millimeters to make it fit.
If the driver in the AB-1266 Phi CC and Diana Phi are the same then why the specifications on the website are different:
The AB-1266 Phi CC
  • Impedance: 42 ohms nominal
  • Phase: Flat
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB/mW
The Diana Phi
  • Impedance 32 ohms
  • Sensitivity 91 dB/mw
Do those "a few millimeters" make such a big difference?

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,058 of 7,405
the new diana will be a more efficient HP i assume

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,059 of 7,405
It must... 3mm diameter smaller, but about 10% difference in surface area.
I guess they would have to be easier to drive if they are made to be portable. If they had the same amplifier requirements as the 1266 they would not be very portable at all.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,061 of 7,405
Is there reason to get Abyss Phi if Diana Phi has same driver?
Spent a lot of time with both this weekend at RMAF to answer the same question. VERY different experience with the Abyss (I hadn’t experienced any headphone like that before)

Comfort of Diana Phi was off the charts, but the Abyss kicked all the ass for me (wasn’t even close)

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,063 of 7,405
Spent a lot of time with both this weekend at RMAF to answer the same question. VERY different experience with the Abyss (I hadn’t experienced any headphone like that before)

Comfort of Diana Phi was off the charts, but the Abyss kicked all the ass for me (wasn’t even close)

In what ways were the sonically different?

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,064 of 7,405
In what ways were the sonically different?

The soundstage and detail with the Abyss was astonishing. I had never heard anything like that before. It was like standing in a virtual reality world

Diana Phi and a very similar tonal signature and dynamics, but a much more conventional headphone experience. A TOTL experience for sure, but the Abyss experience was (for me) intoxicating

Diana’s were crazy comfortable. Abyss we’re stupid awkward and uncomfortable, but I’m a newbie and didn’t put any serious energy into adjusting it for my head.

Only cans that came close to Abyss we’re the Susvaras. Holy crap, the detail!! If I could get the Abyss soundscape and Susvara detail, I would have purchased a pair already

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,065 of 7,405
The soundstage and detail with the Abyss was astonishing. I had never heard anything like that before. It was like standing in a virtual reality world

Diana Phi and a very similar tonal signature and dynamics, but a much more conventional headphone experience. A TOTL experience for sure, but the Abyss experience was (for me) intoxicating

Diana’s were crazy comfortable. Abyss we’re stupid awkward and uncomfortable, but I’m a newbie and didn’t put any serious energy into adjusting it for my head.

Only cans that came close to Abyss we’re the Susvaras. Holy crap, the detail!! If I could get the Abyss soundscape and Susvara detail, I would have purchased a pair already

Thats the first useful comparison I've read. Thanks man! I'm going to have a hell of a hard time deciding between the two. I reckon if you take the time to adjust them, you might find them pretty comfortable vs. awkward and umcomfortable :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back