Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 5, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #736 of 7,405
When the HD580 and HD600 appeared, many found them bland and/or boring, mostly due to the lack of hi-fi signifiers. Myself, I find planars/orthodynamics usually smoother and less "dynamic" that some dynamic headphones such as Grados. Sometimes dynamics are enhanced by a more present upper midrange and lower treble, which can make the music seem more exciting. My experience has been that electrostatics can sound even yet lightning fast. But there is also an artificial shimmering effect that helps this illusion. The fastest "sounding' headphones usually have aberrations in the FR that provide added snap that makes the music seem more exciting (for a while).

I would actually describe the HD 600 as having snappy dynamics (certainly not boring), but it also has upper frequency peaks and bass roll-off. I owned five electrostatic systems and would agree with your general description of an even tonal balance and rapid transient speed. But those two things have nothing to do with each other; it's just that they happen to exist together in some headphones. I'm not sure what you mean by artificial shimmering effect. You'll have to be more specific. I also agree that planar magnetics tend to have a smoother presentation. (Some refer to it as lush.) But they can be very dynamic on the right system, and some planar magnetic headphones like the AB-1266 and HE6 are famous for being among the most dynamic, impactful headphones in existence. Anyway, the most accurate headphones do not sound boring to me. The most boring headphones I've heard simply had mediocre performance in various areas.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #737 of 7,405
they're almost the same volume level with the lcd 4 on Hugo 2.. i don't know if i'm pushing the hugo2 already at its limits at color light blue and up..

after an hour listening, the mids which were forward for my taste slightly pulled back. the bass hits really hard and when the song calls for the sub, it really has a strong presence

Did you get a pair?

I don't really see the point in offering your opinion if we all have to play guessing games about what the heck you actually are trying to say.

He did post a proper review, but I agree the oatmeal cookie thing was a bit of a curveball.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #739 of 7,405
I'd be interested in your findings.

Jan 5, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #740 of 7,405
yes thank You.. after 100 hrs of burn in i guess. i was only able to AB them with the lcd 4 but just on the hugo 2
they look simple but they will stun you with their sound

IMG_20180104_173955.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #741 of 7,405
yes thank You.. after 100 hrs of burn in i guess. i was only able to AB them with the lcd 4 but just on the hugo 2
they look simple but they will stun you with their sound

Looks like I see the Audeze LCD-MX4 in that pic. Any possibility of getting a comparison with the Diana?

Jan 6, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #742 of 7,405
Looks like I see the Audeze LCD-MX4 in that pic. Any possibility of getting a comparison with the Diana?

that is what I was really waiting for to do since they are in the same price range.

I had more time ABing the lcd 4 and Diana for a friend. Did a short listen to the mx4 too. I will try to AB them again on Monday (maybe sunday there).

for now,
Diana-needs a powerful amp
MX4-you can use it straight from your smartphone, laptop etc.
my laptop's volume level isn't even at half and it's loud already.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #743 of 7,405
Diana is good with at least 200 mW, phones and laptops you would be lucky to get 30 mW, not to mention most computers are very noisy sources, will make the music sound hard and strip harmonic information so sounds flat, not 'alive'.

If laptop is your only source a simple USB headphone amp is beneficial, Apple Macbook Pro recommended.
Something like these...
https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd-bl/
or Geek Out portable USB DAC

Diana will have her own matching accessories later this year smiley_abyss1.gif

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 6, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #744 of 7,405
Any chord Hugo owners tried Diana

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #746 of 7,405
that is what I was really waiting for to do since they are in the same price range.

I had more time ABing the lcd 4 and Diana for a friend. Did a short listen to the mx4 too. I will try to AB them again on Monday (maybe sunday there).
That would be wonderful. Looking forward...

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #747 of 7,405
Hugo 2 :
Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD: 94mW 300Ω

740mW 32Ω

1050mW 8Ω

Hugo TT:

35mW into 600 ohms, 70mW into 300 ohms, 320mW into 56 ohms, 600mW into 32 ohms and 720mW into 8 ohms.

So in terms of power output, you will have better luck with the Hugo 2.

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #749 of 7,405
The maximum power difference between the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT isn't going to make a lick of difference, since the Diana (91 dB/mW @ 40 ohms) will not use anywhere near their maximum output as long as you aren't listening loud enough to blow out your ears. The chart below can give you a rough idea of the Diana's power requirements.

You're not likely to exceed 115 dB, even accounting for dynamic peaks.

Side note: The Mojo and Hugo have the same max output power specs as the Hugo TT. I have driven harder-to-drive headphones than the Diana from the Mojo at high SPL levels with no distortion.

Diana.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back