Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #7,111 of 7,405
@tjkohli
I would say the Utopia has excellent bass for a dynamic, probably the best impact.
It’s not going to go as low as a planar like the MR though. But the speed of the Utopia is addicting to me.

As for stage, I think this comes down to the person and chain obviously. Some find the stage very intimate, I don’t really and I find they have pretty good depth too, especially on the right chain. Diana seems to work for some and others don’t care for it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #7,112 of 7,405
Never tried the US5 Pro but I felt the MR has been quite good off a majority of the things I’ve tried (DNA Stellaris which is probably my favorite and was surprised at how good this combo was, MJ3, Mojo2 and Tube mini)
Hi Rhodey,

I think it should be good with DNA Stellaris, this was my dream amp when I was young.
I haven’t heard MJ3/Mojo2, but I suppose US5 Pro should be a similar to MJ3, I feel all the sound are squeezed together, and I feel a bit dizzy, the sound stage is too small. Especially compare to Utopia 2022.
Now it is much better with AIC-10.

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #7,114 of 7,405
Hi Rhodey,

I think it should be good with DNA Stellaris, this was my dream amp when I was young.
I haven’t heard MJ3/Mojo2, but I suppose US5 Pro should be a similar to MJ3, I feel all the sound are squeezed together, and I feel a bit dizzy, the sound stage is too small. Especially compare to Utopia 2022.
Now it is much better with AIC-10.
That’s a shame about the US5 Pro. It was something I was looking at in the past when thinking of Sus pairing options.
I don’t feel the MJ3s stage is too small tho, and I really like the depth.
I bet the AIC10 is awesome tho 😁
I’d like to find something a little more powerful for the Tungsten or Sus. Wish the MJ3 had a bit more juice and was in a bigger chassis like the ragnarok to help with heat and maybe better parts. Could be even better.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #7,115 of 7,405
That’s a shame about the US5 Pro. It was something I was looking at in the past when thinking of Sus pairing options.
I’d like to find something a little more powerful for the Tungsten or Sus. Wish the MJ3 had a bit more juice and was in a bigger chassis like the ragnarok to help with heat and maybe better parts. Could be even better.
US5 Pro works fine with Utopia 2022 though.
Combinations are always a headache.

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #7,117 of 7,405
The Riviera is great for the Susvara’s, especially off speaker taps.

Mar 4, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #7,118 of 7,405
The Riviera is great for the Susvara’s, especially off speaker taps.
Yeah that’s what I hear. It’s a bit more than I wanted to spend tho. $3-4K range is where I’d like to be 😁.

Plus it’s pretty big. I’d like to keep the standard size for a rack (17inch wide)

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #7,120 of 7,405

Here are detailed comparisons from Passion for Sound, just as WaveTheory, he rates HE1000 Stealth higher than MR at 1/3 of the price.

I don't like Chi-Fi but interested to try and compare MR with this model and Empy II myself. At this price, there shouldn't be any single compromise.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #7,121 of 7,405
Been lurking here for a little to read up on pads etc. Thought I'd post my brief impressions of the MR. I've owned a lot of headphones over the last 25 odd years. HD600, HD800s, HE60, AKG K1000, Stax L700, 007mk2, 009s, vintage Stax gear, bunch of Hifiman stuff, Audeze etc. I gotta say I love the Diana MR and I think its presentation is quite unique compared to the other gear I've owned - maybe that's the reason a couple of reviewers haven't gone for it, whilst others have. It's incredibly clear and precise with a super dark background and very low distortion. Reminds me of my stax gear in terms of detail and clarity. I actually had no intention of buying it - I went into a headphone store a couple of months ago intent on getting the DCA E3 but found the DCA too bright and fatiguing for me. Seeing as I was there I sat down and listened to a broad range of high end gear and ended up falling for the MR, which to my ears is not at all bright or fatiguing, even with the stock leather pads. I was tossing up between the MR and the Empy 2 but went for the unique presentation of the MR. The tonal balance is excellent across the spectrum and I enjoy all genres on it. And what makes it perfect for me is that it sounds great out of my Mojo 2 meaning I can use it anywhere in the house, out on the deck, or throw it in my backpack and take it into work. The case is tiny and you can fit the cable in the case too. Can't do that with the 009s! I bought the bass-ported suede pads to compliment the stock pads. Ultimately I prefer the stock pads as I like the bass punch they provide and perhaps prefer the tiny bit of extra detail. On the other hand the bass-ported suede does open up the soundstage just a little and gives it a slightly more open feel, which can be good for some acoustic tracks. As others have described, soundstage is not huge on this headphone but the imaging is so good that it doesn't feel like a compromise to me. It's super light and for my head, very comfortable. I got the carbon forged finish with the tan pads - also the best looking headphone I've owned!

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #7,122 of 7,405

Here are detailed comparisons from Passion for Sound, just as WaveTheory, he rates HE1000 Stealth higher than MR at 1/3 of the price.

I don't like Chi-Fi but interested to try and compare MR with this model and Empy II myself. At this price, there shouldn't be any single compromise.

Neither of those guys like the Abyss sound in general, fwiw. I think Wave Theory described the MRs as shouty, which was a big head scratcher for me. I wouldn’t put too much stock into what YT reviewers say, though they certainly can be helpful at times.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #7,124 of 7,405

Don’t forget the HEK series was a flagship series. That they just reduced pricing of. At current pricing the HEKSE is the best headphone out there. Which I also still own by the way even with having my Susvaras.

There is a use case, which must be considered when chosen the right headphone additional to sound quality. Where and how you entend on using the headphone. (i.e. Home, Office, On Go, Desk, Lounge Chair, Couch, Bed)

The Diana MR for me is a great travel companion. With my setup (Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9/Custom Danacable Lazuli Rapsody interconnect and Lazuli Rhapsody Headphone Cable). It gives me a feeling of being at home. I’m able to enjoy a high quality music experience.

When I travel with the Diana MR I’m not worried about damaging them when I travel they a purposely well built. I would worry about traveling with my HEKSEs. But they were intended on being a TOTL Headphone at your desk. Where the Diana Series where to be an all in one. A TOTL headphone that can be used on the go and scales well on the desktop.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #7,125 of 7,405

I can't really imagine for a person who love Diana MR will able to enjoy the bright, airy and softer attack notes of HE1000 Stealth. And vice versa. They are so different in term of character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back