Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #7,066 of 7,405
Personally it's just "ok" for movie. Clean and fast presentation of Diana MR make movie sound "too accurate". Good for dialog movie but for action movie I need extra "effect" in punch and bite. Something like ZMF Atrium Closed with more "explosive" bass is better for me.

p.s: abyss 1266 TC is really good for movie!
A decent sized tube amp for movies/music videos helps as they tend to add more spacial information to the presentation vs solid state.
Woo Audio WA33 is awesome running optical out of a flat screen (noise isolation) into the DAC. AB1266 floating on your head also performs a similar feat, both combined, lots of fun.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #7,068 of 7,405
What pad position are you finding works well for you? I got my MR set today, and find that having the seal on the lower position opposite the cable terminations provides a nice bump to the bass that I enjoy.

I am tempted to look for a vegan suede bass-ported pad if it accentuates bass and tames treble but they seem so overpriced so will keep an eye on the classifieds.

Attachments

• 20240223_125939 (1).jpg
    20240223_125939 (1).jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #7,069 of 7,405
What pad position are you finding works well for you? I got my MR set today, and find that having the seal on the lower position opposite the cable terminations provides a nice bump to the bass that I enjoy.

I am tempted to look for a vegan suede bass-ported pad if it accentuates bass and tames treble but they seem so overpriced so will keep an eye on the classifieds.

I don’t find the seal has much effect on the sound of the MR. I’m always using the bass ported pads though, so perhaps that’s why.

I tend to prefer the bass ported leather over the vegan, although the vegan seems to fit my head much better.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #7,070 of 7,405
I don’t find the seal has much effect on the sound of the MR. I’m always using the bass ported pads though, so perhaps that’s why.

I tend to prefer the bass ported leather over the vegan, although the vegan seems to fit my head much better.
So far I have found the bass ported pads immune to seal differences.

Annoyingly I tend to prefer a different pad (vegan and bass ported vegan) and pad position (vegan pad in normal position and with stitch join at the upper rear position) on a song by song basis.

After tyring out the differences I can't find one that I'm satisfied with across the board. As I know when something doesn't sound quite how I want and I know which pad/position to use to find that nirvana again. I might try fiddling with my source in the hopes I can find a happy place with the sound so I'm not switching pads/positions every couple of songs 😂

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #7,071 of 7,405
I spent a good while yesterday trying the non-ported leather pads in various positions, because the difference is noticeable but also subtle, I keep changing my mind and like you, I want to find my happy place with it and be done. Its why I dont EQ, I would be forever tinkering with the sound and probably never be fully satisfied. As much as I think the Abyss unique design and approach to pad rotation is brilliant, for me I think there is something to be said also for removing that choice altogether to stop all of those 'what if' thoughts :)

Todays fixation for me is that I am feeling I should have bought the Carbon Weave instead of the Forged Carbon version, to the point I am internally debating selling and repurchasing. It would be nice if I could apply this much thought to things in life that really matter :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #7,072 of 7,405
I've posted in classifieds too, but if anyone has leather bass ported pads for Diana they'd like to sell, I'd be happy to buy them for a reasonable price to the UK.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/abyss-diana-leather-bass-ported-pads.63356/

Not even bothered what colour, and as long as they're in good condition (no worse than this) or better, I'd be keen to get some. Simply can't stomach the Abyss website prices.

I've listed in classifieds in USD as most of the Abyss action happens in the States, but open to any offers from anywhere really :)

Cheers!

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #7,073 of 7,405
Hi, I am new here. And I think I may need some help.
Last week, I read the reviews from Headfonics and Headfonia of Diana MR, these two reviews were wonderful, so I instantly bought MR with upgrade cable from official website. They were very friendly and answered my questions about cables.
I received my MR this Monday, to me, it’s very light and very comfortable. Very nice to wear.
However, when I connected the headphone to my amps (Auris HA2-SE+ and Niimbus US5 Pro), I just cannot get things right. I also have a Utopia 2022, it works perfect with these two amps. But for MR, the soundstage is not big, it seems MR requires more power to drive (large volume) and the sound is not airy or transparent. My DAPs are SP3000 and N30LE. Am I getting something wrong here or this is the sound signature, just not fits me. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #7,074 of 7,405
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #7,075 of 7,405
Last week, I read the reviews from Headfonics and Headfonia of Diana MR, these two reviews were wonderful, so I instantly bought MR with upgrade cable from official website. They were very friendly and answered my questions about cables.
I received my MR this Monday, to me, it’s very light and very comfortable. Very nice to wear.
However, when I connected the headphone to my amps (Auris HA2-SE+ and Niimbus US5 Pro), I just cannot get things right. I also have a Utopia 2022, it works perfect with these two amps. But for MR, the soundstage is not big, it seems MR requires more power to drive (large volume) and the sound is not airy or transparent. My DAPs are SP3000 and N30LE. Am I getting something wrong here or this is the sound signature, just not fits me. Thanks.
You don't need more than a Niimbus US5 to make the MRs sing. Not sure what's going on here. Maybe you just don't like the headphones' sound profile?

What's the rest of your chain?

I've never had Utopia, so others can maybe fill in that blank.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #7,076 of 7,405

I think something is going on in your chain. Power shouldn’t be an issue. They aren’t as detailed as the Utopias, but they are still excellent on that front. Let us know when you get it figured out!

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #7,077 of 7,405
You don't need more than a Niimbus US5 to make the MRs sing. Not sure what's going on here. Maybe you just don't like the headphones' sound profile?

What's the rest of your chain?

I've never had Utopia, so others can maybe fill in that blank.

I think something is going on in your chain. Power shouldn’t be an issue. They aren’t as detailed as the Utopias, but they are still excellent on that front. Let us know when you get it figured out!

Thanks.
The rest of the chain (if I understand this term correctly) is sample. Source is my Dap, just N30LE/SP3000, 4.4 bal to Dual XLR cable to AMP, then XLR cable to MR.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #7,078 of 7,405
Thanks.
The rest of the chain (if I understand this term correctly) is sample. Source is my Dap, just N30LE/SP3000, 4.4 bal to Dual XLR cable to AMP, then XLR cable to MR.
What DAC are you using when using the Niimbus? Where's your music coming from? Roon or Tidal or Quboz or Apple Music or something?

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #7,080 of 7,405
Hi, I don’t have a desktop DAC, I use l my DAP as my DAC, and music is DSD downloaded to the DAP. This setup works fine with Utopia, meze empyrean. Thanks man.
I don't see any reason why the headphones would be poor let alone suboptimal even with that setup. Maybe the Abyss guys can point a finger as I'm not familiar with DAPs at all. The fact your Utopia and Meze sound fine suggests nothing's afoot.

To be honest, it sounds like you just don't like how Diana MR sounds! Hope you can figure something out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back