Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #6,586 of 7,571
I'm very excited to try the Dianas at CanJam in Dallas. I have always wanted to try them, but have been nervous to spend them without listening to them.

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #6,589 of 7,571
My favourite Diana so far is V2 as it was the warmer sounding. I wish Abyss revisits that sound again.

Phi is a technical marvel, but it is just too technical.
The Phi benefits greatly from the vegan bass ported pads. Makes the detailed sound more enjoyable and less taxing.
While the leather bass ported pads make the V2 even more fun.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #6,593 of 7,571
are they even in the market and have you heard them???????????My guess is the MR is far superior given my experience with the original empyrean and abyss HP's

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #6,596 of 7,571
hello,

can you define "much better" in terms
of all the stuff you mentioned that it does better than the v2?

also is it equally a "much better" deal at 3k considering ppl purchased the v2 for 1800 at some point?
(basically will let ppl who paid 1.8k for their v2 an idea if they should "upgrade" and pay 3k for the MR over their v2)

thanks for the insights :)
Much better as in, I am not sure v2 actually has much soundstage at all on obj o2. But mr has a pretty decent one. I tried both of them on w33, and v2's soundstage got bit better, but still behind mr by quite some margin. Here are some notes I put down after hearing both on wa33:

I’m am more used to V2’s “down in the center” tuning, but MR with its thicker, fuller, darker sound, played a very nice trick with its better layering, 3D imaging, makes overall a more fun, more dynamic, richer listening experience.

On soundstage, V2 is a “everything in the center except if it really wants to be outside”. So when the songs really call for it, yes you can have “out of the head” experience, but most of the time, it’s a “in your head” experience. For MR, there is much more going on with where the instruments are, in a more linear fashion from the center to the peripherals. What it mounts to is more “layers” of the music, as you can tell “yeah the musician intended this particular 3d orchestration” and it’s nice.

Overall I found mr leagues more enjoyable. If v2 is 1800 and mr is 3000, I'd say mr all the way.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #6,597 of 7,571
Much better as in, I am not sure v2 actually has much soundstage at all on obj o2. But mr has a pretty decent one. I tried both of them on w33, and v2's soundstage got bit better, but still behind mr by quite some margin. Here are some notes I put down after hearing both on wa33:

I’m am more used to V2’s “down in the center” tuning, but MR with its thicker, fuller, darker sound, played a very nice trick with its better layering, 3D imaging, makes overall a more fun, more dynamic, richer listening experience.

On soundstage, V2 is a “everything in the center except if it really wants to be outside”. So when the songs really call for it, yes you can have “out of the head” experience, but most of the time, it’s a “in your head” experience. For MR, there is much more going on with where the instruments are, in a more linear fashion from the center to the peripherals. What it mounts to is more “layers” of the music, as you can tell “yeah the musician intended this particular 3d orchestration” and it’s nice.

Overall I found mr leagues more enjoyable. If v2 is 1800 and mr is 3000, I'd say mr all the way.
thanks for the info, i appreciate it.
one last question i have is do you think v2 and mr work for different music genres?
for example, i listen mostly to "the weekend" (and similar songs from the genre), i dont really find wide soundstage needed as the "in your head" for the vocals work so nice on the v2.

if i listen to same songs on my hd 800S, they sound much better on the v2 cuz these songs i listen to are not really made in that big soundstage ballpark and the extra soundstage of the 800S just makes the vocals kinda muffled or blurred if that makes sense.

so i wonder if the mr would be a better v2 experience or it might lean towards a better 800S experience which i dont like for the songs i listen to.

thanks once more :)

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #6,598 of 7,571
thanks for the info, i appreciate it.
one last question i have is do you think v2 and mr work for different music genres?
for example, i listen mostly to "the weekend" (and similar songs from the genre), i dont really find wide soundstage needed as the "in your head" for the vocals work so nice on the v2.

if i listen to same songs on my hd 800S, they sound much better on the v2 cuz these songs i listen to are not really made in that big soundstage ballpark and the extra soundstage of the 800S just makes the vocals kinda muffled or blurred if that makes sense.

so i wonder if the mr would be a better v2 experience or it might lean towards a better 800S experience which i dont like for the songs i listen to.

thanks once more :)
I found mr is quite a bit more enjoyable on almost everything, both due to the added soundstage & separation (almost always good), and the richer, more "syrupy" toning (depends on your taste).

v2 has two things that I should note, one is its stronger sub bass. If you want to feel the "vibration" (which I enjoy quite a bit), mr doesn't give you quite as much. This was a surprise to me as some online material indicates it has "funner" bass than v2. The other thing is v2 has a bit weird upper mids energy that on certain vocal and piano songs it gets shouty. On mr I don't notice this at all.

I never owned HD800s but was a HD800 owner for a long time. They are notorious for "forcing" everything away from your head to create a big soundstage, which makes vocals distant. Both v2 and mr (and probably most other high end headphones) have more intimate vocals rendering. HD800 is also pretty thin sounding. V2 is better in memory. mr is thicker than v2 still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back