Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #6,542 of 7,572
MR is definitely on the warmer side and not neutral. And I also ordered one to complement my Susvara. Very intimate, round stage, and more forgiving (than Sus).
So happy to know this. Can you share with me the chain you are using for the MR? I run my Sus with my Ferrum. But for the MR I will be using my Woo Audio Fireflies 3 mated to my Musician Pegasus. Something tells me the tubes will be perfect with its warmish sound. I just feel they will be perfect. Just loaded my Mullard NOS and they everything up. Now all I need is for UPS to ring my doorbell lol

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #6,543 of 7,572
Brings me back to my original question of how far are Abyss willing to go for customization? Especially given the wait time you're going through I'd expect that for a custom pair not for what they sell straight up. They do it for the TC (or at least cool colorways) and while I like the initial designs for the MR I'm not necessarily a fan of all the material choices.

I've listened to Abyss cast before and they "seem" willing to go further, but I'd honestly like to know what that really looks like because it isn't too defined. All I see is "ask us" which sounds like a "we'll see" kind of vibe. That is why I was wanting to look at ZMF first.

Side note: DMS really did them a service by helping them in some ways get a more front facing image. I didn't know much about them past what little I read here and his push on them got me to demo the phi then the v2. Even though they weren't my taste for tuning I can respect what they accomplish.
It isn't for a custom pair from what I was told they're currently out of cases for the Diana's and waiting more to be shipped in. I assume Audio46 got a shipment in right around CanJam.

I myself have a Burson Conductor Grand Tourer on a Super Charger for my builds now. I had the best Topping stack you could buy and it wasn't really enough power wise for Abyss's offerings. so I moved from a 4w build to a 10w build to make sure I never have issues powering anything again.

Edit2: Burson fixed all the issues with their previous line ups in the Conductor GT there's no longer any hissing noises, popping sounds etc. You have the full power of their bass, separation and everything else which I find seems to suit headphones like DCA's Expanse and Stealth as well as Abyss's headphones. My only regret is the fact that because the Burson Conductor GT requires more than the Ferrum Hypsos can give you cannot use the Hypsos to power the GT as it could previous models. Although I'm still envious of those running a Holo Audio Bliss KTE/May KTE which is what I consider endgame.

Edit3: The nice thing is the changes to the MR make it so it shouldn't require as much power as the Diana TC and the 1266.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #6,544 of 7,572
Received the MR today. So far happy with what I am hearing. Definitely warmer than Susvara. Very detailed. Bass is big and deep on this one. Played some tracks from Ne-Yo and Infected Mushrooms and had me giggling. This thing needs power though. Using my Fireflies I had to turn the volume almost to the max. Tried it with my Sony WM1AM2 DAP, same thing. High gain and almost max volume. Same with Qustyle M15 dongle my Apple 14 ProMax was at almost max volume. Of course no problem with the Ferrums. I was actually surprised because I thought this headphone was supposed to be targeting portables. I wrote an email to Abyss and they replied quickly. I will attach the email. Just wanted to share that info to everyone

Attachments

• IMG_5389.png
    IMG_5389.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #6,545 of 7,572
So happy to know this. Can you share with me the chain you are using for the MR? I run my Sus with my Ferrum. But for the MR I will be using my Woo Audio Fireflies 3 mated to my Musician Pegasus. Something tells me the tubes will be perfect with its warmish sound. I just feel they will be perfect. Just loaded my Mullard NOS and they everything up. Now all I need is for UPS to ring my doorbell lol
I just ordered it, so I don't have it yet. But I heard it at CanJam on the WA23 (with woo audio DAC) and it was fantastic. I'll be using a WA23 at home as well (with Holo May).

I also heard it with the Lina stack in LA, and it wasn't as good, so not sure if it likes tubes, or if the Lina stack is just boring (which is very likely as I find most headphones with it boring).

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #6,546 of 7,572
Wonder how it would pair with a DNA… or maybe the MJ3.

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #6,547 of 7,572
Received the MR today. So far happy with what I am hearing. Definitely warmer than Susvara. Very detailed. Bass is big and deep on this one. Played some tracks from Ne-Yo and Infected Mushrooms and had me giggling. This thing needs power though. Using my Fireflies I had to turn the volume almost to the max. Tried it with my Sony WM1AM2 DAP, same thing. High gain and almost max volume. Same with Qustyle M15 dongle my Apple 14 ProMax was at almost max volume. Of course no problem with the Ferrums. I was actually surprised because I thought this headphone was supposed to be targeting portables. I wrote an email to Abyss and they replied quickly. I will attach the email. Just wanted to share that info to everyone
Yes you get near max, but it still plays well. The TC or the V2 had me max out my Shanling m8 and I still wanted more volume. Same with my WM1Z. The MR is able to be played to a very good volume with both, with room to spare. Near max is ok. Maxed out, and wanting more isn't, so I'm still happy

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #6,548 of 7,572
MR is definitely on the warmer side and not neutral. And I also ordered one to complement my Susvara. Very intimate, round stage, and more forgiving (than Sus).
I mean Abyss calls it near flat frequency response, recommended for mixing and mastering. Devodonaldson prefers them with vegan pads because it warms them up. I like them with leather because it sounds neutral to me…and you say it’s more forgiving than susvara, it’s because susvara is bright

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #6,549 of 7,572
I mean Abyss calls it near flat frequency response, recommended for mixing and mastering. Devodonaldson prefers them with vegan pads because it warms them up. I like them with leather because it sounds neutral to me…and you say it’s more forgiving than susvara, it’s because susvara is bright
Honestly, I can see all that being true. Near flat response, meaning that the signal isn't rolling off. Vegan bass ported pads reducing treble peaks, AND rotating the pads creating more gap from earpad to head thereby increasing the bass slam. Stock leather pads, the original as intended pads, sounding neutral to someone who doesn't hear high pitched sounds to be as grating and aggressive as someone else...like myself.... Honestly sounds correct to me. 2 type of pads, 2 pad materials, 4 different positions, to alter the sound presentation for better or worse to different individuals likings or distaste.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #6,550 of 7,572
Spent the entire day Saturday and Sunday listening to the MR. Definitely very much impressed with the MR. So much so that I haven’t really listened with the Sus which isn’t the norm. The stock cable is very good. First time I am actually using the stock cable of any headphone lol. I am contemplating on the Super Conductor cable though. Any feedback on how it performs? Thank you

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,552 of 7,572
Spent the entire day Saturday and Sunday listening to the MR. Definitely very much impressed with the MR. So much so that I haven’t really listened with the Sus which isn’t the norm. The stock cable is very good. First time I am actually using the stock cable of any headphone lol. I am contemplating on the Super Conductor cable though. Any feedback on how it performs? Thank you
Do you feel like you are getting full performance on them out of your WA7?

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #6,553 of 7,572
I have had sc cable for 1266 TC for a while. It makes the sound fuller and the bottom more impactful. It's noticeable. But I haven't tried sc on dianas. Also according to abyss, mr is more forgiving and they specifically mentioned something like "diana tc is what you use to hear the difference on cables, etc". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #6,555 of 7,572
I have had sc cable for 1266 TC for a while. It makes the sound fuller and the bottom more impactful. It's noticeable. But I haven't tried sc on dianas. Also according to abyss, mr is more forgiving and they specifically mentioned something like "diana tc is what you use to hear the difference on cables, etc". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s what got me thinking too. From doing some reading it seems the SC cables were made to address some shortcomings of the previous Dianas. The MR is warm, has very beautiful mids and bass. I fear that the SC cable might make it too warm and dark. And believe me it has more than enough bass as it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back