Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #5,311 of 7,355
I've been comparing the Diana TC with Susvara. Honestly, the difference in detail is not that big. Susvara maybe reveals more of the tails of vocal parts etc, as did LCD-5 and things are a bit more spread out from top to bottom. But the DTC has close to that resolution, MUCH more contrast, is wider, and hits harder. I suppose it comes down to preference, but to me the DTC is a better sound signature and the increase in resolution and dynamics with Susvara is pretty subtle. I'm thinking if I didn't have neck problems the 1266 would the pinnacle for me.

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #5,312 of 7,355
I have neck problems and the 1266 is still the pinnacle for me lol

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #5,313 of 7,355
I've been comparing the Diana TC with Susvara. Honestly, the difference in detail is not that big. Susvara maybe reveals more of the tails of vocal parts etc, as did LCD-5 and things are a bit more spread out from top to bottom. But the DTC has close to that resolution, MUCH more contrast, is wider, and hits harder. I suppose it comes down to preference, but to me the DTC is a better sound signature and the increase in resolution and dynamics with Susvara is pretty subtle. I'm thinking if I didn't have neck problems the 1266 would the pinnacle for me.
I also have neck problems and do just fine with 1266. You need to hear one :gs1000smile:

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #5,314 of 7,355
I also have neck problems and do just fine with 1266. You need to hear one :gs1000smile:
Sounds like I do! This is a bit more my flavor than ultra-refined, smooth, soft Hifiman, though it is growing on me. I might need some treatment or even surgery before I get one though, and give up on not looking like a nerd.

The thing Abyss headphones do better than other manufacturer I have come across is how vibrant and raw they sound. Some Audeze headphones are good in this regard, but when I listen to my Diana I hear clear, pure, tone colors where most others seem grayish. This kind of sound with an even bigger scale, to or beyond Susvara, must be awesome.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #5,315 of 7,355
Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #5,316 of 7,355
Hi @Abyss Headphones , how are things traveling with the Diana Phi TC Closed-Back?

I'm in the market for a pair of closed-backs and am holding off purchasing the many options out there until Diana Phi TC Closed-Back is released.

Google threw this up when I searched for the latest on a Daina Phi TC CLosed-Back. I'm assuming it's wrong:

https://sightandsoundgallery.com/products/abyss-diana-phi-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone
Yeah that listing is incorrectly worded, and very old now. I'm surprised they haven't changed it as it has confused multiple people over time (myself included.)

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #5,317 of 7,355
Wonder if anyone has heard the diana tc on both the Burson soloist 3x and the Topping A90 and which one you prefer. I have had A90 for a while but got the Soloist this past Monday. Still in comparison period so want to hear other inputs. One thing is for certain, the headphones respond to different amps and sound quite different.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #5,318 of 7,355
I don't know if this has been posted before. Does anyone find Diana TC in default configuration a little Bass shy? It's clean but I don't particularly feel the heft, which is 50% of bass pleasure.

The weird thing is if I break the seal, for example pulling the cups away from my ears giving them maybe 5mm space, the bass is unbelievably good in speakers like fashion. Is this by design? @Joe Skubinski .

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #5,319 of 7,355
I don't know if this has been posted before. Does anyone find Diana TC in default configuration a little Bass shy? It's clean but I don't particularly feel the heft, which is 50% of bass pleasure.

The weird thing is if I break the seal, for example pulling the cups away from my ears giving them maybe 5mm space, the bass is unbelievably good in speakers like fashion. Is this by design? @Joe Skubinski .
what amp/dac are you using?

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #5,321 of 7,355

I use it in default configuration and I don’t think it’s bass shy (imo). I’ve tried the seal break but I think you lose some quality in bass for heft (which I personally didn’t like but I can see others enjoy).

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,322 of 7,355

Creating more of an air gap make the driver move more air, that is why the 1266 makes all that bass. You're simulating that.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #5,323 of 7,355

Yes. This is 100% a thing. The drivers perform best with an air gap. Try bass porting it by putting something between the pad and the heaphon3 like below

20220321_144056.jpg

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #5,324 of 7,355
I use it in default configuration and I don’t think it’s bass shy (imo). I’ve tried the seal break but I think you lose some quality in bass for heft (which I personally didn’t like but I can see others enjoy).
I do agree with your observation. I prefer the default sound signature in jazz, for the others, a visceral bass is more pleasurable to me.
Creating more of an air gap make the driver move more air, that is why the 1266 makes all that bass. You're simulating that.
That’s interesting, now I start to understand why 1266 has to look like that. Curious, What makes an unsealed driver move more air, is it because the chamber gets less pressurized thus easier for the drivers to move?

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,325 of 7,355

Recently connected it to burson soloist and feel bass may actually be too heavy... bass is resolved, tight but feel very strong... can feel the drum beat pressure. I may need some time to get used to it after having used A90 for a long time (less bass heavy). There's automatically a small seal gap how I wear the dtc (otherwise not comfortable to me).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back