Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #364 of 7,355
Never heard the 1266 but the Diana is intriguing. I actually think it looks cool and I really don't care if they are portable. I would not be inclined to travel with a $3K headphone anyway. Strictly for home listening.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #365 of 7,355
same here. really interested to see how it stacks up to the original 1266 and phi versions too.

My fingers are crossed that it's pretty close to the 1266.

It seems like a pretty big coincidence that just as the Diana's drivers were being finalised, that an update to the 1266's drivers was released. It's my guess that when they were developing drivers for the Diana that they found SOMETHING that works even better than the drivers on the 1266 and updated it's drivers with the new tech. Also, apart from the drivers looking very similar physically, the specs are very close - a little bit smaller and a little bit easier to drive makes me think that the sound will be not too far off. And lighter. And normal looking. And cheaper. And easier to drive. Obviously with those advantages, you would expect some trade off in SQ, but how much is the question. I might just repeat that the driver thing is all speculation on my part.

On an unrelated note, your username reminds me of when people ask you if you want anything. And you say "do you have any updog?" To which they will reply "what's updog?" And then you say "oh not much dawg - what's up with you?" Funny every time.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #366 of 7,355
Never heard the 1266 but the Diana is intriguing. I actually think it looks cool and I really don't care if they are portable. I would not be inclined to travel with a $3K headphone anyway. Strictly for home listening.
I feel the same way brother.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #367 of 7,355
How are these really portable to anyone considering you can't listen to them in most places outdoors unless you are somewhere extremely quiet? In that sense, most headphones that can be driven by a mojo and arent too heavy/uncomfortable are portable and that list is endless and even includes the Utopias.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #368 of 7,355
How are these really portable to anyone considering you can't listen to them in most places outdoors unless you are somewhere extremely quiet? In that sense, most headphones that can be driven by a mojo and arent too heavy/uncomfortable are portable and that list is endless and even includes the Utopias.

Arguably, Diana should be at the same level as Utopias, and it is lighter.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #370 of 7,355
They are portable in that you can carry them around. I don't think they fit all portable applications.

Well it's september and Diana ads have been popping up on head fi so hopefully that means release date is on track.
Maybe gas prices will continue to rise bringing the Canadian dollar with them. About the only chance I have at these. Still need more feedback on the sound. It's too quiet thus far.

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #371 of 7,355
Well it's september and Diana ads have been popping up on head fi so hopefully that means release date is on track.
BTW what was the release date? September?

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #372 of 7,355
Yeah there haven't been many proper impressions but I suppose people have only ever heard a pre production model in a show environment so that's to be expected I guess. Joe did say September recently but hasn't said anything else since, so I wondered if there had been more delays. But seeing ads pop up on head fi as of the beginning of September is promising - you wouldn't think they'd be advertising unless it's finished and ready to go.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #373 of 7,355
I'm really interested in the Diana so I checked with the Canadian distributor a few days ago. Beginning/Middle of October seems to be the aim for Canada. Whether or not that is different from the rest of the world, I have no idea. Pre-orders are open though. With the recent $1000 discount on new Utopias, its a tough decision, as they are coming in at very similar price points. For me, the Diana would be a complete leap of faith, as impressions are scarce, and I probably will never get a chance to audition them locally. The Utopia is easy to find and I have heard it before, so that complicates matters a bit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #374 of 7,355
Yeah there haven't been many proper impressions but I suppose people have only ever heard a pre production model in a show environment so that's to be expected I guess. Joe did say September recently but hasn't said anything else since, so I wondered if there had been more delays. But seeing ads pop up on head fi as of the beginning of September is promising - you wouldn't think they'd be advertising unless it's finished and ready to go.
Facebook post back in June showed production in full swing.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #375 of 7,355
I'm really interested in the Diana so I checked with the Canadian distributor a few days ago. Beginning/Middle of October seems to be the aim for Canada. .
Is that TRI-CELL?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back