Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #3,001 of 7,358
Hey so im looking for some help to decide between these or the meze empyrean

I listen to all kinds of music so would ideally be looking for headphones that can well represent every genre, out of my current/past headphones I love listening to classical/acoustic on my sundaras but find that rock and metal is really lacking in body and impact for my preference. Conversely I actually find the fidelio x2 a pretty fun listen for those more energetic and busy genres but of course its very lacking in detail

Also previously tried the lcd-2cs but apart from the outstanding vocals I didn't really like those at all due to the presentation being too laid back/dark for my liking.

Would love to hear any insights or recommendations when comparing those two
it's been a while since i compared the diana v2 and empyrean but they had contrasting sound signatures to my ears. there was a thickness to the empyrean's presentation, whereas the v2 exhibited clarity and detail retrieval. i much preferred the latter. the empyrean was the more comfortable headphone for me, however.

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #3,002 of 7,358
When i buy something, i first read all the negative reviews, and try to find a common theme regarding an aspect of the gear that all the negative reviewers are agreeing upon.
So, this Thread is mostly a love fest regarding the V2s, yet, the "for sale" page is interestingly enough, quite busy regarding these headphones.
Now, my question is...

For the 4 of you here who didnt gush loving praise upon this gear....... can u tell me why it didnt work for you sonically, and tell me what your favorite headphone is, so that i can understand what sound you enjoy, which will give me the best perspective regarding what the Diana is not offering some of you, that you needed.

Anybody?

I'll second the comfort reasons. There is very little in terms of adjustability available on these so if it doesn't sit well on your head it really should be a non-starter. Sonically wise soundstage is smaller compared to other options.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #3,003 of 7,358

Hello,
I think you can’t go wrong with both, they are great headphones i much enjoyed.
It’s a question of preference indeed, the Empy have more deep bass and meat to the bone. Empys have a deep soundstage, Diana is more coherent but more limited compared to d8000 which is larger for example.
I prefer diana v2 at the moment, it’s a more balanced headphone overall, but empy are really good, as well as d8000 that you could add to your list.

For amplification, i would not recommend formula s. Am just not convinced by the inside of this amp. Just have a look, i am not an expert, but i am not impressed, especially at this price point.

Just to share, i am using my speaker hybride amp, a lector audio zxt-70, delivering 2*70w at 8ohms class A. I use an aries mini streamer with sbooster, curious usb cable, topping d90 dac, audioquest water xlr interconnect, and the amp.
I use diy impedancer with -12db to reduce the noise coming from the amp.

The sound is great and i don’t feel the need yet to grab a dedicated hp amp. But i will listen soon i hope to Tsakiridis achilles mono blocks, might change my mind :)
Finally thank you for those who recommended this headband, it seats perfectly and improve comfort.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #3,005 of 7,358
If I were to sell them (I won't) it would be due to comfort. Without some sort of extra padding they feel like you have a bunch of hard cubes around your head. Quite disappointing for a $3K can.

Thank you.
Did you ever own the Audeze "Sine" 1st version? If so, could the V's be in that range of discomfort on your head right out of the box as those Sine's were terrible to wear.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #3,006 of 7,358
Julien in post #2890 said that his Phi scales up amazing with powerful speaker amps. Maybe worth a shot. :)
Heard back from Abyss. They advised to only get the Formula S if I was thinking of stepping up to the AB-1266. Recommended the Broadway for the Diana but I don’t think that will be a step up from my Luxman amp.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #3,007 of 7,358
Hey so im looking for some help to decide between these or the meze empyrean

I listen to all kinds of music so would ideally be looking for headphones that can well represent every genre, out of my current/past headphones I love listening to classical/acoustic on my sundaras but find that rock and metal is really lacking in body and impact for my preference. Conversely I actually find the fidelio x2 a pretty fun listen for those more energetic and busy genres but of course its very lacking in detail

Also previously tried the lcd-2cs but apart from the outstanding vocals I didn't really like those at all due to the presentation being too laid back/dark for my liking.

Speaking as someone with eclectic taste in music I haven’t heard another headphone that handles all genres as well as the Diana Phi and V2. I haven’t played anything yet that doesn’t sound superb with them. Great for detail and soundstage.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #3,008 of 7,358
Speaking as someone with eclectic taste in music I haven’t heard another headphone that handles all genres as well as the Diana Phi and V2. I haven’t played anything yet that doesn’t sound superb with them. Great for detail and soundstage.

Thx.

I have to listen to and review a Focal Elear and then a HD700 that are coming soon, and after these are studied i'll probably invest in the D-V2.

fun fun fun ..:)

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #3,010 of 7,358
I haven't, sorry.

Decent sound, pads like rocks.
Was a sort of LTD event that remained in the line, even into a V2.
It was a BMW designed Audeze Sound.
I think they never tried it on before they shipped it to a lot of people who universally hated the way it feels, as its one of the worst Cans regarding comfort, ever created.
Recently another Brand + Brand came out of the Focal factory, = the Radiance, and it feels good, sounds great, and is a true LTD worth owning.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #3,013 of 7,358
Has anyone tried driving the Diana v2s with the Kann Alpha or more specifically the Hiby R8? I plan on purchasing the R8 very soon to drive my V2s on the go. My local hifi stores do not offer it for demo at the moment, so i'll just have to take someone's word for it. The specs of the 4.4mm on the Hiby R8 is 0.8ohm, 5.9Vrms, 1088mW @32ohm :thinking:

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #3,014 of 7,358
Has anyone tried driving the Diana v2s with the Kann Alpha or more specifically the Hiby R8? I plan on purchasing the R8 very soon to drive my V2s on the go. My local hifi stores do not offer it for demo at the moment, so i'll just have to take someone's word for it. The specs of the 4.4mm on the Hiby R8 is 0.8ohm, 5.9Vrms, 1088mW @32ohm :thinking:
Alpha has pretty much power for Phi. I’ll be able to demo R8 next week and give you an update. I have 4.4 mm cable for Phi.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #3,015 of 7,358
Alpha has pretty much power for Phi. I’ll be able to demo R8 next week and give you an update. I have 4.4 mm cable for Phi.

Look forward to your impressions. I‘m thinking to get the V2 and drive them out of R8 before the Cayin C9 becomes available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back