Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 14, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #256 of 7,422
Really curious about how they perform. If they have 90% of the sound of the Abyss and have fixed the fit issues, I'd say they've nailed it. I hope they make the price a bit more reasonable for a lot more people to buy. It makes no sense to price them out of the market and sell much less.

When are these expected to release?

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #257 of 7,422

Based of the time taken thus far, since the initial "press release", I'd say about two years. But I'm hoping it's more like two months, so we can get some opinions.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #258 of 7,422
The devil is in the detail.

She will be out there this Summer, engineering is integrating final touches now, we tweak to crazy levels. Component costs are high, nothing inexpensive about this Made in USA headphone.

Pix of one side machined from solid aluminum, this version shown at CanJam NYC 2017 last week. Like the AB-1266, we create all of her main components in-house in Buffalo, New York. Steel and aluminum stock is US origin, sourced from local companies where possible. Ceramic finish is applied locally, white on white is the most basic example of what Diana can wear. Hardware is mil spec stainless steel, new JPS Labs very lightweight flexible cable, etc. etc.

Being Winter in Buffalo, we've played her outdoors at 15 degrees F, sounds great, unprecedented for a planar design where temperature affects tension.

Feedback from those in the loop is excellent. Lots of excitement behind this new way to wear a 'full size' high-performance headphone.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #259 of 7,422
I have been eyeing this headphone since it was announced. Was looking for a high-end portable just like this, but please please please consider making it in a darker color like black. The white (or beachfront) will just be too flashy for me to consider it for work or travel. This will be a deal breaker and I hate that it is something as simple as the color.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #260 of 7,422
I have been eyeing this headphone since it was announced. Was looking for a high-end portable just like this, but please please please consider making it in a darker color like black. The white (or beachfront) will just be too flashy for me to consider it for work or travel. This will be a deal breaker and I hate that it is something as simple as the color.

In case only those two colors are available, you should still be able to order a custom one—if you're willing to pay the premium.

(Click here for three examples of custom jobs for the AB-1266.)

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #263 of 7,422
Do these also have to "float" on your head like the AB-1266, barely touching the ears or they wrap over your ears like traditional planars? The design suggests traditional way to wear headphones.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #264 of 7,422
Some pics from CanJam NYC, Diana (prototype).

We will have near production Diana at CanJam SoCal.

http://www.canjamglobal.com/so-cal

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #266 of 7,422
Apart from the price ($3k?) to go outside with this headphone (as suggested on the beach ... sand dust and salt water sprey
eek.gif
... for sure any damage will be under warranty as it was recommended use
rolleyes.gif
), this is an open headphone or am I missing something, so you'll get full environment noise along with high fidelity sound from your high rez player. Yeah, well not everything folks imagine makes sense to me.
biggrin.gif

Quote from their website:

Diana is all about style, and sound. She's someone you like to have around. Designed for the person who appreciates the finest, Diana brings a classy way to wear the world's finest headphones while traveling, relaxing on the beach, or just plain looking good.
  1. Made in the USA
  2. The thinnest boutique headphone in the world sculpted from aircraft grade aluminum for incredible strength
  3. Sporty leathers and soft Alcantara®, custom exotic skins available
  4. High-tech ceramic finish keeps her looking good
  5. EMotion headband magnetically adjusts and contours your head for a perfect fit
  6. Diana is an amazing concert for one, front row seats always
  7. Designed to wear indoors or out, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall- Diana is one tough chic
  8. Choose from 2 colors -- White on White (shown), and Beach Front

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #268 of 7,422
 Check out the product page.

1. Made in the USA
  2. The thinnest boutique headphone in the world sculpted from aircraft grade aluminum for incredible strength

I was thinking if that amount of that particular type of aluminum factors into the high cost, a Boeing 747 must cost around 537 billion to make?

//content.invisioncic.com/Mnhlcanad/emoticons/4224.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #269 of 7,422
  Apart from the price ($3k?) to go outside with this headphone (as suggested on the beach ... sand dust and salt water sprey
eek.gif
... for sure any damage will be under warranty as it was recommended use
rolleyes.gif
), this is an open headphone or am I missing something, so you'll get full environment noise along with high fidelity sound from you high rez player. Yeah, well not everything folks imagine makes sense to me.
biggrin.gif

Yeah the beach thing is a colour option.  They're an open headphone so not for out and about.  More like a high end headphone for plugging directly into a DAP.  Good for people who move around a lot for work or want to get into the high end without buying desktop gear.  

If it sounds as good as, or better than it's similarly priced competition, plus weighs less, plus is easy to power, then what's the problem?

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #270 of 7,422
  Yeah the beach thing is a colour option.  They're an open headphone so not for out and about.

The quote from the product page says otherwise. It was already shared, but I'll quote it again:

"Designed for the person who appreciates the finest, Diana brings a classy way to wear the world's finest headphones while traveling, relaxing on the beach, or just plain looking good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back