Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #244 of 7,571
Feb 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #245 of 7,571
diana_glass.jpg

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #246 of 7,571
Haha new post in the Diana thread - OH MY GOD AFTER 10 CAN JAMS DO WE FINALLY GET SOME LISTENING IMPRESSIONS??

Nope it's a picture :p

Nice picture tho

Hansotek's thoughts seem very promising but.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #247 of 7,571
Certainly does not look $3000 worth now, does it? In fact it looks like cheap Asian dollar store stuff. Better deliver the goods sonically.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #248 of 7,571
  Certainly does not look $3000 worth now, does it? In fact it looks like cheap Asian dollar store stuff. Better deliver the goods sonically.

Looks can be deceiving. Check out the product page.

1. The thinnest boutique headphone in the world sculpted from aircraft grade aluminum for incredible strength
  2. Sporty leathers and soft Alcantara®, custom exotic skins available
  3. High-tech ceramic finish keeps her looking good
  4. EMotion headband magnetically adjusts and contours your head for a perfect fit

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #249 of 7,571

Seriously, this is $3000?? The vent holes are a mess as well. And if that's intentional, I just don't know what to say. Hopefully there's $3G worth of sound. Not saying it won't happen, but...

diana5.jpg

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #250 of 7,571
Any feedback from Canjam?

Hansotek knows I had a picture of what was going on with the headband underneath the (leather?) wrap, so here ya go:

Clearly, Music Alchemist's glass mannequin wasn't attention getting enough for the booth!

So, the headband is slit up like that so it can easily bend with great flexibility without putting much bend pressure on any one point. Hansotek says it adjusts its clamp pressure kinda like those snap-bracelets from childhood, but anyway it's a unique design.

Haha new post in the Diana thread - OH MY GOD AFTER 10 CAN JAMS DO WE FINALLY GET SOME LISTENING IMPRESSIONS??

Nope it's a picture :p

Nice picture tho

Hansotek's thoughts seem very promising but.

Yeah, Hansotek was talking Saturday night how the Diana sounded awesome, fixed basically all the criticisms of the originals Abyss in finding fit, size, comfort, lower price, even other stuff like being practically indestructible. Seemed to be a show highlight. But when I went Sunday to check it out, the guy manning the booth told me they didn't have a demo, that what I was seeing was a "static model" or something. I asked in three different ways, well... the guy was really nice about explaining what the model WOULD sound like and be like. And, pointing out how it's not out yet because they keep finding more things to keep making it more ultimate – cool! Still wish I could've heard it though.

Oh, my other buddy got to hear it later that Sunday afternoon, but he can't post impressions because he works for a local audio shop. But yeah, they were impressed.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #251 of 7,571
  Seriously, this is $3000?? The vent holes are a mess as well. And if that's intentional, I just don't know what to say. Hopefully there's $3G worth of sound. Not saying it won't happen, but...

I'm not a headphone engineer, so I am in no position to comment on the vent holes. They're obviously intentional. The AB-1266 also implemented unconventional porous aluminum, making it look closed even though it's fully open.

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #252 of 7,571
I wouldn't call the vent holes a mess, they are orderly and of a functional, purposeful design. Asymmetrical, I dunno if you would accept them more if there wasn't the shallow cosmetic ones, but it's not a problem unless you don't have a taste for asymmetrical.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #253 of 7,571

There's a HINT of beats in the styling I'll give you that.  

If it's got most of the sound of an abyss + cheaper + lighter and easier fit though, then yeah I guess it is worth $3k...

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #254 of 7,571

If it's got most of the sound of an abyss + cheaper + lighter and easier fit though, then yeah I guess it is worth $3k...

If it does, yes.

Quote:

I'm not a headphone engineer, so I am in no position to comment on the vent holes. They're obviously intentional. The AB-1266 also implemented unconventional porous aluminum, making it look closed even though it's fully open.

It appears that a section of the holes are covered in white (paint?). It all looks deliberate...but odd. If it is in order to shape the sound a certain way, fine. I'm not looking for modern abstract style in a $3000 headphone, but that's just me...

Also hard to tell if they swivel for optimum fit. I assume they would at that price. But again, I've seen $50 phones that look more substantial...just sayin'.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #255 of 7,571
  If it does, yes.

It appears that a section of the holes are covered in white (paint?). It all looks deliberate...but odd. If it is in order to shape the sound a certain way, fine. I'm not looking for modern abstract style in a $3000 headphone, but that's just me...

Also hard to tell if they swivel for optimum fit. I assume they would at that price. But again, I've seen $50 phones that look more substantial...just sayin'.

Yeah, I dunno. I can agree that it does not look like the fanciest headphone.

But as I mentioned above, it's made of aircraft grade aluminum with other exotic materials, so build quality is not an issue. You'll be hard-pressed to find headphones that are built sturdier than anything by Abyss.

I'm mostly interested in ultimate performance, so the Diana is probably not something I'd buy, whereas the AB-1266 has my full attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back