Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 26, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #2,461 of 7,416
Sorry if this has been asked before, but with Abyss' track record, do you think that it's possible for a Diana Phi TC to be released sometime soon-ish?

I want an Abyss 1266 Phi TC but the Dianas are much more practical with fit and comfort. However, I don't want to drop that sort of money only for them to utilize the TC drivers soon. I guess I could always sell, take a loss, and then buy Diana TC's should they ever happen.
It is unlikely that modified (as the current Diana Phi driver is smaller than 1266) Phi TC drivers will sound the same in a Diana frame as the 1266 frame. The size of enclosure, distance from ear etc. will change the sound, better/worse will be subjective but different almost certainly. Therefore if the sound you seek is a 1266 Phi TC then purchase it. If the form factor doesn't suit you, then purchase something else. It is an assumption to believe that a Diana Phi TC will sound better than a current Phi, different probably, but better?

I have a Diana V1. I have no desire to chase a V2 nor Phi, as the sound of the V1 with my gear sounds superb. Is the V2 and/or Phi better, possibly; almost definitely both will sound different, and to some/many better. They certainly are "better" according to Abyss, but you would expect that. I guess my point is that Abyss will one day release a Phi TC or some other magic driver in a Diana or similar form factor, they would be silly not to, as Diana targets a different or extended market to the 1266 alone. And if Abyss doesn't release a Diana Phi TC or similar, another manufacturer will release something else targeted at the same market which will be the next TOL killer. So Jeweltopia grab a Diana Phi if that is your preference and don't worry about the imminent release or not of a Diana Phi TC, because if you are thinking that way you will upgrade whenever Abyss releases the current Diana Phi "killer" (and they will). At some stage one has to say I am happy with the sound of what I have, or alternatively you will continue to trade sound nirvana and chase the unicorn; a mythical beast that doesn't exist. And even if did exist, in the world of headphones there will always be a " better " unicorn released.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #2,462 of 7,416
It is unlikely that modified (as the current Diana Phi driver is smaller than 1266) Phi TC drivers will sound the same in a Diana frame as the 1266 frame. The size of enclosure, distance from ear etc. will change the sound, better/worse will be subjective but different almost certainly. Therefore if the sound you seek is a 1266 Phi TC then purchase it. If the form factor doesn't suit you, then purchase something else. It is an assumption to believe that a Diana Phi TC will sound better than a current Phi, different probably, but better?

I have a Diana V1. I have no desire to chase a V2 nor Phi, as the sound of the V1 with my gear sounds superb. Is the V2 and/or Phi better, possibly; almost definitely both will sound different, and to some/many better. They certainly are "better" according to Abyss, but you would expect that. I guess my point is that Abyss will one day release a Phi TC or some other magic driver in a Diana or similar form factor, they would be silly not to, as Diana targets a different or extended market to the 1266 alone. And if Abyss doesn't release a Diana Phi TC or similar, another manufacturer will release something else targeted at the same market which will be the next TOL killer. So Jeweltopia grab a Diana Phi if that is your preference and don't worry about the imminent release or not of a Diana Phi TC, because if you are thinking that way you will upgrade whenever Abyss releases the current Diana Phi "killer" (and they will). At some stage one has to say I am happy with the sound of what I have, or alternatively you will continue to trade sound nirvana and chase the unicorn; a mythical beast that doesn't exist. And even if did exist, in the world of headphones there will always be a " better " unicorn released.

I didn't say anything about the TC sounding better than a Diana, or vice versa. Also didn't say anything about the TC drivers in a Diana sounding better than the current Diana. Abyss themselves have stated that TC is the most advanced iteration of their line, and, I was just asking if there were plans for that to be used in a more practical physical frame, such as the frame of the Diana Phi. I'm not chasing any unicorn or musical nirvana, I know that every high end audio company releases new flagships every now and then and I'm never struck with the urge to upgrade or chase the newest model. To be honest, I've heard the original 1266 (non CC or TC version) and loved it, but, have never heard the CC or TC version, as well as any of the Dianas. I do know someone personally who has owned a 1266 CC and when they upgraded to a 1266 TC, they personally told me that the TC felt more refined than the previous iteration. Thus, I was simply asking if Abyss had plans for a TC Diana. If they do or don't, it's of no consequence to me. I've auditioned headphones in the 5-6K range, yet my "unicorn" (my favorite headphone, that is) to this day is still my Sennheiser HD800S, which has my number one spot. My post wasn't about me chasing any unicorn or about my wallet getting an urge to upgrade every time a company released something new. I was simply asking if there were any plans for a Diana TC and my post was as simple as that -- nothing else was implied, and, there was nothing to be read between the lines.

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,463 of 7,416
Yesterday I got a special adapter cable for my setup to use the balanced mode.

I am really impressed, the sound is so much better in balanced mode.
But why does balance mode sounds much better?
I think, thanks to my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R it sounds better coz it has for each channel an own DAC.
Input -> DSP -> 2 DACs (one for L-, one for R-Channel).

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,464 of 7,416
Yesterday I got a special adapter cable for my setup to use the balanced mode.

I am really impressed, the sound is so much better in balanced mode.
But why does balance mode sounds much better?
I think, thanks to my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R it sounds better coz it has for each channel an own DAC.
Input -> DSP -> 2 DACs (one for L-, one for R-Channel).
What adapter are you referring to?
this is likely a difference in power delivery

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #2,465 of 7,416
What adapter are you referring to?
this is likely a difference in power delivery

The ADi-2 Pro is a fully symmetrical dual mono DAC with two fully symmetrical mono AMP.
Using is the balanced mode is highly recommended if you ask me.

The adapter is self made to utilize the dual mono outputs from the ADI-2 Pro to one balanced connection.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #2,466 of 7,416
The ADi-2 Pro is a fully symmetrical dual mono DAC with two fully symmetrical mono AMP.
Using is the balanced mode is highly recommended if you ask me.

The adapter is self made to utilize the dual mono outputs from the ADI-2 Pro to one balanced connection.
I’m aware, I had one.
You’re still likely hearing the result of more power.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,467 of 7,416
Hi guys!
I have a chance to buy demo Diana V1 for my desktop tube set up... can you compare sound to lcd-3/lcd-x or any of Kennerton headphones? Will it be next level cans after lcd3fazor? Those I had so no problem to compare for me...
I like heavy metal, deathcore and rock music..
It would be great to hear you comparison or thoughts...

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,468 of 7,416
Hi guys!
I have a chance to buy demo Diana V1 for my desktop tube set up... can you compare sound to lcd-3/lcd-x or any of Kennerton headphones? Will it be next level cans after lcd3fazor? Those I had so no problem to compare for me...

Personally it's an easy choice go to Diana V2 instead of LCD3/X.

Had wrote a little comparison here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dia...byss-headphones.777618/page-121#post-15561998

Sorry, my comparison and my experience was with V2, not V1, so perhaps not helping you completely.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,469 of 7,416
Sep 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,470 of 7,416
Thanks! But it’s only V1 that available for me now

Are you able to try them? People found the fit of V1 worse then V2 but I personally found them more comfortable than the revised headband.
The comparison that @TheMiddleSky with the V2 seems like it would be very similar to the V1. So I would think the difference would be minor aside from fit... but maybe someone else compared V1 and V2

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,471 of 7,416
Hi guys!
Have the Diana V1, Kennerton Thridi and just sold my LCD-3.
Well, I do listen to rock but the hardest would be Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin...still, the difference between Diana and LCD-3... they are worlds apart on the sound/tonality spectrum.
Diana has stunning clarity and is sort of neutral; compared to LCD-3 it might be considered bright. The Diana bass is good but can‘t be compared to 1266 or Lcd-4/3 bass.
LCD-3 has the creamier midrange and overall darker tonality, also can be conceived veiled sometimes when not driven properly.
In your case I would prefer Lcd-4 or Abyss1266 just based on your favourite musical genres.

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #2,472 of 7,416
Have the Diana V1, Kennerton Thridi and just sold my LCD-3.
Well, I do listen to rock but the hardest would be Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin...still, the difference between Diana and LCD-3... they are worlds apart on the sound/tonality spectrum.
Diana has stunning clarity and is sort of neutral; compared to LCD-3 it might be considered bright. The Diana bass is good but can‘t be compared to 1266 or Lcd-4/3 bass.
LCD-3 has the creamier midrange and overall darker tonality, also can be conceived veiled sometimes when not driven properly.
In your case I would prefer Lcd-4 or Abyss1266 just based on your favourite musical genres.
Wow that was straight in the heat!! Never thought I a meet guy with same cans!!!
thanks a lot for comparison and I can see that Diana isn’t best choice for my genres and I also was looking on lcd4...
What about short notes on Thridi / Diana? Just interesting

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,473 of 7,416
Wow that was straight in the heat!! Never thought I a meet guy with same cans!!!
thanks a lot for comparison and I can see that Diana isn’t best choice for my genres and I also was looking on lcd4...
What about short notes on Thridi / Diana? Just interesting
The Thridi to me is a *clearer* LCD-3 and as such closer to DianaV1 but then again the Diana and 1266 have this special Abyss tuning that is really addictive. It is a powerful and sort of pristine clarity. Personally I think the 1266( in the CC or TC iteration) is the best sound I have heard.
I traded my SR009S and KGST for it...no regrets.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #2,474 of 7,416
Does anyone know if the stand-alone SR25 DAP can sufficiently run the Abyss Diana Phi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back