Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,402 of 7,401
Have just received a DianaV1 and need recommendations for a balanced cable, please.
Perhaps somebody out there wants to sell his/her‘s?

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #2,405 of 7,401
Have just received a DianaV1 and need recommendations for a balanced cable, please.
Perhaps somebody out there wants to sell his/her‘s?

I bought a cable from Moon Audio - Blue Dragon Cable.
I dont like those cables which are handcrafted... the 2.5mm jacks to the headphone are to big for me.
I want to sit on my couch in every position without big jacks touching my shoulders.

The Dragon Cable has little jacks like the original cable.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,406 of 7,401
I bought a cable from Moon Audio - Blue Dragon Cable.
I dont like those cables which are handcrafted... the 2.5mm jacks to the headphone are to big for me.
I want to sit on my couch in every position without big jacks touching my shoulders.

The Dragon Cable has little jacks like the original cable.
Vielen Dank für den Tip...und Grüße nach Düsseldorf.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,407 of 7,401
I’m interested in learning more about that “portable stack” too, it looks fun. Do you charge each component separately?
Ok the Oriolus Transportable Stack(Oriolus BD20 DAC -> Oriolus BA300s mkii PreAmp -> Oriolus BA20 Amp) is around 10-15% more transparent than the Headphone out of a RME ADI-2 FS AK4490 edition. I am actually floored by its performance. It's so transparent that the cable connecting the modules matter 20-30% in detail retrieval.
The tonality is sweet because of the tube amp.
That said, it needs some tweaks to perform the best - the opamps(4 on the DAC + 4 on the Amp) needs to be changed and a heatsink must be applied on them.
Honestly, I would not recommend this over something like the RME ADI-2FS. This is for those who need maximum performance while on the go and don't mind modding equipment.
Just get the RME ADI-2FS or something if you are just looking for the best out of the box experience.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #2,408 of 7,401
Ok the Oriolus Transportable Stack(Oriolus BD20 DAC -> Oriolus BA300s mkii PreAmp -> Oriolus BA20 Amp) is around 10-15% more transparent than the Headphone out of a RME ADI-2 FS AK4490 edition. I am actually floored by its performance. It's so transparent that the cable connecting the modules matter 20-30% in detail retrieval.
That said, it needs some tweaks to perform the best - the opamps(4 on the DAC + 4 on the Amp) needs to be changed and a heatsink must be applied on them.
Honestly, I would not recommend this over something like the RME ADI-2FS. This is for those who need maximum performance while on the go and don't mind modding equipment.
Just get the RME ADI-2FS or something if you are just looking for the best out of the box experience.

Thank you! I’m actually interested in a transportable solution and don’t mind modding hardware. I also own the ADI-2FS! Would you mind sharing or PM’ing the opamps mod and the heat sinks? I suppose this would be a step up from the WA-11? I just ordered the BA20 to test with my HipDac!

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,409 of 7,401

What gives you the indication that those mods need to be made? Is it still the best transportable solution even without potentially modding?

What cables did you use between them?

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,410 of 7,401
Thank you! I’m actually interested in a transportable solution and don’t mind modding hardware. I also own the ADI-2FS! Would you mind sharing or PM’ing the opamps mod and the heat sinks? I suppose this would be a step up from the WA-11? I just ordered the BA20 to test with my HipDac!
Lmao comparing this to the WA11 is an insult to this. This is at least 2-3 times the performance of the WA11(DAC + Amp)

The DAC has 2 dual Opamps in the I/V stage and 2 single or one dual(User Choice) opamp/s in the LPF stage.
For I/V I chose the MUSES01 which is considered to be one of the best for this stage and for the LPF, I chose the MUSES03 in 2xsingle Opamp mode.
For the I/V stage, Burson V5i-D might potentially be another good candidate. For the LPF stage, MUSES02 is another great choice if you want more bass.
PS: I can't guarantee if the V5i will fit.

They offer an OFC Cable with the amps which seem to be pretty well made. However, changing it to a JPS Labs Superconductor just increases detail retrieval by easily 20-30%.

The BA300s mkii cannot be easily modded. Someone like Romi can probably change the opamps at the bottom, they are the SOC type.

Just at this point, the output from the BA300s PreAmp surpasses the ADI-2 FS in my opinion.

The BA20 amp has 4 single opamps(or 2 dual) in the Amp section and 4 single opamps in the Buffer section.
For maximum transparency, the Buffer Section should be bypassed, they provide 4 bypass modules for the buffer section.
I currently have the stock OP1611 opamps in the amp section and waiting for 4 more MUSES03 opamps.
I also plan to make bypass modules for the Buffer Section using OCC Ag(just short pin 3 and 7 using wire).

For Heatsinks, I am using the smaller black heatsink from these and applying a 1mm thermal pad on top of the heatsink. This transfers the heat to the metal case and also secures the heatsink.

Now I need another Superconductor wire, damn....

What gives you the indication that those mods need to be made? Is it still the best transportable solution even without potentially modding?

What cables did you use between them?

The main problem I had with the DAC was that I thought the midrange lacked body with the stock opamps(I guess slightly V shaped). I am mostly looking for a great midrange in anything I listen to. The MUSES opamps completely solve this.
I would actually say this will still be the best transportable solution without modding. I had the WA11 and I would say even stock this is miles ahead.

BD20 -> BA300s = Superconductor
BA300s -> BA20 = stock OFC
BD20 -> Diana V2 = Superconductor

I was looking for a reference system for when I am travelling. I once carried a LCD 4 + AMP + DAC internationally and it was not fun. This is probably it.

PS: Funny story, the TSA agent checked the LCD 4 for drugs lol

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2,411 of 7,401
One more thing this stack has over the ADI-2 FS is bass timbre. ADI-2 FS bass sounds a little dull and slightly wrong tonally. This is apparently common with the AK4490 DAC.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #2,412 of 7,401
If anyone is looking to drive a Diana V1/V2, I found the JDS Labs Element II DAC/AMP to be an amazing match and doesn't break the bank. Plenty of power to spare and very clear, airy, well separated and detailed presentation. I would absolutely go with this unit if you intend on buying the Ifi xCAN (bluetooth) and using at home.

I may argue that they have different propositions but for my use (home), I would certainly go with the Element II as the best all a-rounder on a budget so far.

Still waiting for the RME ADI-2 DAC and the GS-X Mini to arrive.

I want to have the following comparison:

Diana V1 DAC/AMP Combo Audio Comparison
- JDS Labs Element II (on its own)
- RME ADI-2 DAC (on its own)
- AK SP1000 + IFI xCAN

Then.... the GS-X Mini Comparison

- JDS Labs Element II + GS-X Mini
- RME ADI-2 DAC + GS-X Mini
- AK SP1000 + GS-X Mini

I have heard so many good things about the GS-X Mini matching with the Diana and the Focal Clear that I am trying to hold my expectations and see... My GS-X hasn't shipped yet (expected this week) and my RME should arrive next week.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,413 of 7,401
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #2,414 of 7,401
One more thing this stack has over the ADI-2 FS is bass timbre. ADI-2 FS bass sounds a little dull and slightly wrong tonally. This is apparently common with the AK4490 DAC.

While I agree RME produce a little dull bass, I don't think that happen to all other AKM4490 devices too.

If anyone is looking to drive a Diana V1/V2, I found the JPS Labs Element II DAC/AMP to be an amazing match and doesn't break the bank. Plenty of power to spare and very clear, airy, well separated and detailed presentation. I would absolutely go with this unit if you intend on buying the Ifi xCAN (bluetooth) and using at home.

I may argue that they have different propositions but for my use (home), I would certainly go with the Element II as the best all a-rounder on a budget so far.

Still waiting for the RME ADI-2 DAC and the GS-X Mini to arrive.

I want to have the following comparison:

- JDS Labs Element II (on its own)
- RME ADI-2 DAC (on its own)
- AK SP1000 + IFI xCAN

Then.... the GS-X Mini Comparison

- JDS Labs Element II + GS-X Mini
- RME ADI-2 DAC + GS-X Mini
- AK SP1000 + GS-X Mini

I have heard so many good things about the GS-X Mini matching with the Diana and the Focal Clear that I am trying to hold my expectations and see... My GS-X hasn't shipped yet (expected this week) and my RME should arrive next week.

can not wait for this comparison, GSX Mini still on my curious list.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,415 of 7,401
While I agree RME produce a little dull bass, I don't think that happen to all other AKM4490 devices too.
I have heard just 1 other AKM4490 device but this is something I read about online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back