Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #2,371 of 7,374
Was hesitant between Diana Phi and Final D8000pro, but today I finally got an answer...

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,374 of 7,374
Does anyone have good recommendations on best Transportable DAC Amp to run the Diana Phi's on?

I'm searching for the best solution. I got these specifically for portable use I'm always traveling and will never have a desktop setup. So I want to squeeze all possible sound of Diana out of a Transportable solution.

Currently have seen people state -
* Wa11 (I've seen issues mentioned with the DAC and low end)
* Hugo 2 (issues with power reported)
* Ifi DSD Black Label
* AK Kann Cube (I'm very surprised not much is mentioned about this pairing. It would seem this would be a perfect pairing portable set-up. I've only seen one person mention it.)

I'm running an M15 DAP right now but I can tell these need more to run them fully. Looking to get hiby R8 when it's released but I still think I will need a good transportable that will still get better sound than a DAP would manage. Price doesn't matter too much just not looking for Sony DMP but similar gear yes. Battery powered is key factor

Had tried all of them.

So far my most favourite is WA8. Produce musical, full body, and smooth presentation for Diana Phi. If you prefer something more neutral then Hugo 2 could be a solid choice too.

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,375 of 7,374
I was looking for the same thing. Woo Audio WA11 sounded absolutely garbage to my ears - garbage DAC and low end distortion(look at ASR graphs lmao)
I just ordered the Oriolus Stack

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...amp-se02-eq-1795-bt-receiver-and-more.939282/

BD20 DAC -> BA300s PreAmp -> BA20 AMP

I'll let you know how it sounds.

Why the BA300s as a PreAmp? Just to get the tube sound in your chain? And I'm assuming this is run off a phone or are you using a dap with this chain too?

This seems very interesting. Maybe minus the second amp for me since I'll be using a DAP as source

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,377 of 7,374
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,378 of 7,374
Why the BA300s as a PreAmp? Just to get the tube sound in your chain? And I'm assuming this is run off a phone or are you using a dap with this chain too?

This seems very interesting. Maybe minus the second amp for me since I'll be using a DAP as source
BA300s is a super transparent amp and adds the tube midrange richness without changing anything else so its perfect for a preamp. Yes, it's to add the tube sound.
It'll be connected to my portable workstation. I will be using this stack + Diana V2 as a transportable monitoring rig.

I’m interested in learning more about that “portable stack” too, it looks fun. Do you charge each component separately?
The DAC can be charged using the USB in. I will be charging the PreAmp and Amp using an Anker Power Bank. I have the old BA300s and it's susceptible to mains noise so have to use a power bank. A good power bank like the Anker maintains the DC 5V voltage and is more suitable for audiophile use than any wall plug. At the end of the day, I just charge the power bank.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,379 of 7,374
BA300s is a super transparent amp and adds the tube midrange richness without changing anything else so its perfect for a preamp. Yes, it's to add the tube sound.
It'll be connected to my portable workstation. I will be using this stack + Diana V2 as a transportable monitoring rig.

The DAC can be charged using the USB in. I will be charging the PreAmp and Amp using an Anker Power Bank. I have the old BA300s and it's susceptible to mains noise so have to use a power bank. A good power bank like the Anker maintains the DC 5V voltage and is more suitable for audiophile use than any wall plug. At the end of the day, I just charge the power bank.

If I were using a high end DAP I could possibly skip the DAC in that chain. Not sure how the DAC would sound compared to my DAP.

I'm assuming you're using the second amp just for more power then the ba300s puts out? I couldn't find any info on the power output for the oriolus amp

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #2,380 of 7,374
If I were using a high end DAP I could possibly skip the DAC in that chain. Not sure how the DAC would sound compared to my DAP.

I'm assuming you're using the second amp just for more power then the ba300s puts out? I couldn't find any info on the power output for the oriolus amp
500mW from the BA20 and 350mW from the BA300s

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,382 of 7,374
Is it possible to use the BA300s after the headphone amp? For example use the iPhone > Hipdac > BA300s > Diana Phi just to add the tube warmth, or would you ruin the BA300s because of the power of the Hipdac?
Should be fine

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,384 of 7,374
Did you listen to the D800 pro? Can you tell me why you made that choice? From what I've read, it has a similar signature.
build quality I suppose. I only have two IRL friends that have the Diana phi. both of the phi failed, one has channel imbalance and one has both channel imbalance and one side of the driver would not work occasionally. this is just not the quality that a $4000 headphone should have. on the other hand, d8000pro withstand heavy-duty, torturous daily use of a guy I know from the same message group.
if I really want to buy an end-game headset, I'd prefer one with the better build quality.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,385 of 7,374
I'm getting my loaner 1266 Phi TC and Diana Phi today! I have a Violectric V281 Amp with an Ayre Codex DAC currently but am considering getting a used Chord TT2 to replace them both. I'm a guy who likes lots of bass, overall impact (as opposed to "soft" or "airy") and good amounts of detail (I just got a Fostex T50RP and am loving the treble experience compared to my Ether Flow and HD6XX). My worry is that the TT2 wouldn't pair well with the Diana Phi because they both accentuate the same lean attributes, thus overdoing it. I'm going to get a loaner V2 as well, in another week or two and that might pair better with the TT2. Anyhoo, any thoughts on the pairing of the TT2 and the Abyss products would be appreciated.
I have the TT2 and the 1266 Phi (not TC). Without knowing your DAC and being a little bit familiar with the Violectric house sound I would say this combination is very fast, very detailed, spacious and airy, not soft at all. The bass of the 1266 is phenomenal! Very muscular, defined and prominent but not overbearing. The great thing about the 1266 is that you can dial in the amount and tightness to your liking. While I like bass and treble of this combo, I find the mids to be a bit on the lean and dry side. The JPS Superconductor cable will probably help but $$$. When needed, I use a Norne silver/copper fusion cable which costs a bit of resolution and speed but gives a nice midrange.

One thing to note is that the 1266 benefited greatly from connecting it to the rear XLR sockets (more power) in terms of improved speed, tightness and staging. From what I read in the headfonics review I suppose it’s similar with the Diana Phi (they paired it with a 100W Chord TToby).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back