Diana Krall: The girl in the other room
Apr 29, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
So nerdy Costello got the hottest chick in the music world huh? I didn't know that but it makes me feel all warm inside. I picked up The Look of Love not too long ago on SACD and the cheesy orchestrals made me dislike it, but I'll probably pick this up.

She is hot isn't she... and that voice... Costello is a very lucky man.

BTW where the hell is the DVD-A version?!?

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 70
Nope, Love Scenes, When I Look In Your Eyes and Look of Love are all on DVD-A. This album (which I just picked up as a regular CD
biggrin.gif
) has also been released on SACD hybrid (but they didn't have it and anyway itwould have been $4 more...) but where's the damn DVD-A!?!

-EDIT-

The album is very good btw, I highly recommend it to anyone, even if they only slightly like jazz.

May 1, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #34 of 70
No STRINGS???? Whoa, I'm all over this album now. After that syrupy string stuff, I was about to give up on her!

May 1, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #35 of 70
I got the standard redbook version and only listened to it once so far, but I like it a lot. Nice departure from her previous work, but not too different. Made me think of what Norah Jones' second release could have been.

May 1, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #36 of 70
Uh oh, I don't like Norah. It's not too mellow is it?

May 1, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Uh oh, I don't like Norah. It's not too mellow is it?

Not even close. Diana Krall has a voice that has depth and strength that Norah Jones' voice will never have.

May 1, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #38 of 70
krall's style is not mellow. on "live in paris" you can hear her sort of grunting out the beat during the opening keyboard passages of a couple of songs. a little startling at first, but not off-putting. her phrasing is totally different from jones'. i happen to like both, but then i even like karen carpenter's voice and phrasing. uh, gee, there's no smilie for ducking and running.

May 1, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by earful
i happen to like both, but then i even like karen carpenter's voice and phrasing. uh, gee, there's no smilie for ducking and running.

I loved Karen's voice, and Norah's Jones' also, so I guess I'm gonna love Diana Krall's. Thanks for the info, this comparison helps people like me decide.

May 1, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I loved Karen's voice, and Norah's Jones' also, so I guess I'm gonna love Diana Krall's. Thanks for the info, this comparison helps people like me decide.

You can hear 30 second sound samples here and decide for yourself.
cool.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
You can hear 30 second sound samples here and decide for yourself.
cool.gif

Thanks for the link Arnett. Once I have a quiet second I'll pop in their.

May 1, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #42 of 70
No, the new Diana Krall CD is not mellow, or any more or less so than her other work. It's just a bit more varied in style, not just more of the same, and it all sounds good & well recorded.

May 3, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Count me in on getting a copy of this CD and SACD. I just love Norah Jones and am really curious about all the hype about Diana Krall now. Thanks for the info guys. you just cost me another $25.
wink.gif

You could even make a better move and skipp the «Krall phase» and go direct to the original: Shirley Horn....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amicalement

P.S. S. Horn: The Main Ingredient (Verve 314 529 555-2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back