Diana Krall Hater's Club
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #31 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome Olblueyez - hey, have you ever heard the album ,'Sinatra-Basie' - now that's a jazz vocal album that gives me goosebumps.

"Sinatra Live at the Sands" with the Count Basie orchestra from 1966, it gets no better.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #32 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checked out Paula West, and her last album was 2001, and before that, one in 1999 and 1997. Which of those three do you recommend?

Any one of them is great, but I'd start with Restless. She's pretty amazing at uncovering lost gems from the Songbook era, but now that she's predominantly a live act, she's been known to throw "Like A Rolling Stone," "Maggie's Farm" and "God Only Knows" into her sets. It's pretty amazing that her records sound so good, seeing as she self-produced all three of them with the money she scraped together from gigs and her then day-job waitressing. Hope you enjoy them…

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #33 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any one of them is great, but I'd start with Restless. She's pretty amazing at uncovering lost gems from the Songbook era, but now that she's predominantly a live act, she's been known to throw "Like A Rolling Stone," "Maggie's Farm" and "God Only Knows" into her sets. It's pretty amazing that her records sound so good, seeing as she self-produced all three of them with the money she scraped together from gigs and her then day-job waitressing. Hope you enjoy them…

That's probably why they sound so good

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #34 of 144
Not me!
I find here music really great, and she looks stunning as well.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 144
Hm. iTunes tells me I absolutely adore Live in Paris and I liked All For You quite well. I also have picked up The Girl..., The Look of Live & Love Scents just for the sake of them being SACDs, but I rarely ever listen to them. They are all a bit dull and lifeless, way too polished and perfect for my taste, which totally contradicts their overall awesome production quality. Live in Paris is a whole different thing. She may not be the epitome of Jazz, but that is one great album.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #37 of 144
She goes around screwing up songs made famous by other people who did a much better job of it and then people pay money for that crap?????? For the fans, I recommend if you like one of her songs, you go and find out who else did that song and buy an album from one those people. Its kinda like "Do you want an album by Frank or do you want the Mikey Bubbleybutt version"? If you rather hear Beyonce do "At Last" instead of Etta James then just go ahead an open a vein now because your lost.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #38 of 144
Gosh, that Michael Bublé reference went right by me.

Factcheck: Krall was a star before she met Elvis Costello.

Confession: The three (or is it four?) times I've actually put on Live In Paris, I made it all the way through. Since I get a subset of ADD pretty quickly when music doesn't blow me away, that's saying a lot.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #39 of 144
If you hate Diana Krall, do you have to hate her husband?

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 144
I dont' like Elvis Costello regardless of his choice in wimmin - Like Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols said "Elvis Costello is a wanker - he wears glasses with no glass in them."

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #44 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you rather hear Beyonce do "At Last" instead of Etta James then just go ahead an open a vein now because your lost.

Hell yeah. The Beyonce version is da bomb.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back