Diabetics Represent
Feb 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 63
I take my meter to the lab with me every once in a while to have its acuracy verified. Its an easy way to confirm your test results

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #32 of 63
Also, it's worth noting that there are 2 types of blood glucose test results - plasma and whole blood. Whole blood readings are ~12% lower than plasma readings. Historically, lab results were given as plasma, while most home meters gave whole blood readings. IMHO this led to much of the confusion about the "inaccuracy" of home meters. But, that has changed. I think all the major home meters now give plasma readings, making them easier to compare to lab results. But - I seem to recall reading that ALL home meters are considered "accurate" if they are within 20% of lab readings. So, a lab reading of 100 mg/dL might show up as anywhere between 80 & 120 on a home meter!

Finally, the meter in the doctor's office is NOT a lab test - it's just a meter made tougher for constant use. A "real" plasma glucose test involves centrifuging to separate the plasma - so comparing the lab test results to the doctor's meter would also show a significant difference.

FYI - IANAD, YMMV, etc...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 63
They need to make a commitment to annihilate that damned disease, before it gets everybody. Seems like more and more have been diagnosed and the numbers just seem to be growing at an alarming rate. It's probably something in the water or the soil, and the human body is rebelling.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need to make a commitment to annihilate that damned disease, before it gets everybody. Seems like more and more have been diagnosed and the numbers just seem to be growing at an alarming rate. It's probably something in the water or the soil, and the human body is rebelling.

Theyre making too much money on the desease to just get rid of it.
If they can just control it and sell products and just keep you alive, then thats what they will do.
There are cures for many deseases, but theyre supressed.
Dont think there will be cures for diabetes,cancer, aids, or any other major killer that they can control, in our lifetimes.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, it's worth noting that there are 2 types of blood glucose test results - plasma and whole blood. Whole blood readings are ~12% lower than plasma readings. Historically, lab results were given as plasma, while most home meters gave whole blood readings. IMHO this led to much of the confusion about the "inaccuracy" of home meters. But, that has changed. I think all the major home meters now give plasma readings, making them easier to compare to lab results. But - I seem to recall reading that ALL home meters are considered "accurate" if they are within 20% of lab readings. So, a lab reading of 100 mg/dL might show up as anywhere between 80 & 120 on a home meter!

Finally, the meter in the doctor's office is NOT a lab test - it's just a meter made tougher for constant use. A "real" plasma glucose test involves centrifuging to separate the plasma - so comparing the lab test results to the doctor's meter would also show a significant difference.

FYI - IANAD, YMMV, etc...
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess i can assume you do not have a One Touch meter, because youre very strong on this subject.
Buy what you wish.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 63
If a diabetic person is either insulin resistant or does not produce insulin at all, wouldn't the best treatment be to eliminate carbohydrates from the diet?
Last I checked, carbs are in no way required in the human diet.

Has anyone considered that Type 1 diabetes can come about in the womb of a mother who eats a high carb diet while pregnant, thus taxing the babies pancreas from before birth?

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a diabetic person is either insulin resistant or does not produce insulin at all, wouldn't the best treatment be to eliminate carbohydrates from the diet?

Has anyone considered that Type 1 diabetes can come about in the womb of a mother who eats a high carb diet while pregnant, thus taxing the babies pancreas from before birth?

Neg even without carbs your body uses insulin to break down SUGARS(aka carbs) and such. I dare you to eat a diet that has absolutely zero sugars(carbs) in it. Unless all you ever ate was like.. cheese, meat, lettuce. Also your body needs insulin to keep a baseline blood sugar level. When you go for a run you burn energy so your body drops the output of insulin so you dont go low with blood sugar. Then after you are done working your body breaks down whatver you need from your system. So it releases sugars and such to replenish your system. On a diabetic we would run have no baseline so already have a high blood sugar. We would then run and we would burn the sugars in the blood. When our blood sugars started to go low due to the exercise, then our bodies would do the normal thing cept we would have no insulin and we couldn't use anything our body was producing. So our blood sugar would then skyrocket again yet we would gain no effects of the sugars. So then the body feels as it is starving as it is not getting what it needs from the blood. So then it starts to slowly turn to a negative PH so it can break down fat. Once all your fat is broken down it next moves to muscle to break down because it has been starving for so long. As all the fat it broke down could still not be used very well or at all by your body without insulin. This is called Ketone Acidosis (sp) and is a life ender for diabetics that can not keep their blood sugars in controll. As once it turns to a negative enough PH you have massive body wide organ failure.

This is also the same way the Akins Diet helps you loose weight so quickly. You force your body to go into a KA state so it will burn away fat very very quickly due to it thinking that it is STARVING.

Also with the taxing the baby before birth normally it works the other way around. The baby taxes the mothers pancreas so badly the mother becomes diabetic during pregnancy for a few months.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 63
Hello I can se that you have a large knowledge about DM and isulin, but here are some additional information about ketoacidosis
Hope it is not inapropriate and to much off topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So then the body feels as it is starving as it is not getting what it needs from the blood. So then it starts to slowly turn to a negative PH so it can break down fat. Once all your fat is broken down it next moves to muscle to break down because it has been starving for so long. As all the fat it broke down could still not be used very well or at all by your body without insulin. This is called Ketone Acidosis (sp) and is a life ender for diabetics that can not keep their blood sugars in controll. As once it turns to a negative enough PH you have massive body wide organ failure.

- Diabetic ketoacidosis: It is almost exlusivly seen in DM1. It is caused by profound insulin loss. There is so little insulin that adipose tissue start to really catabolize lipids without controll, providing fatty acids for production of ketons. (Fatty tissue is the organ whis has the highest sensitivity to insulin, and it lose controlly in severe loss of insulin, such as seen in DM1, and not DM2)

This fat is released into the blood and converted into ketons or back to triglycerides by the liver

There is typically severe hyperglycemia, which cause hyperosmolarity of the plasma. Initially this is compensated for by shifting of water out of the cell and the patient has polydipsia to compensate for the polyuria. But because of nausea and vomiting as a result of the beginning ketoacidosis this mechanism fail and the depleted intravascular volume leads to decreased bloodflow to the kidneys. (it is the hypovolemia which is the reason for coma and death in most cases, not the acidosis, which many think)

Hypovolemia activates stress mediators counteract the little insulin left. (such as adrenalin, glucagon, corticosteroids etc. )

Glucose levels rise abruptly because it is not lost through the kidney any more (because of hypovolemia, blood is shunted away from the kidney. The normal protectiv mechanism by loosing glucose through the urine is removed, and glucose increase uncontrollaby).

Coma occur as a result of the hyperosmolarity and loss on intracellular volume.

Keton bodies are acids that lower pH. Causing some of the symptoms of ketoacidosis such as kussmal breathing (rapid deep breathing)

Na+ is lost from the polyuria, so is K+, but because of the low pH, K+ shifts out from the cells and severe hypokalemia do not develop. But when administrating insulin glucose pull with it K+ back in the cells and severe hypokalemia develops. This can cause arrhythmias and death.

- Nonketoic hyperosmolar coma: usually develop in DM 2 in the setting of severe dehydration. Because of the absence of ketoacidosis and its symptoms patients often presents later, and therefor have more profound hyperglycemia and dehydration. Mortality is 10x higher then for ketoacidosis.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, for the most part, the increases in incidence and prevalence are due to people eating too much and moving too little. A little lifestyle modification goes a long way here.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, for the most part, the increases in incidence and prevalence are due to people eating too much and moving too little. A little lifestyle modification goes a long way here.

That is true only for Type 2 Diabetes.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess i can assume you do not have a One Touch meter, because youre very strong on this subject.
Buy what you wish.

Actually, as I said in an earlier post, we are currently using Lifescan One Touch meters. But - it's not because they are "more accurate" than the FreeStyle or the other top brands - it's because we like the form factor, the strips are readily available and my daughter likes the colors they come in. We've used all the different brands at one time or another. My "strong" response was to the statement that ONLY the One Touch are accurate - that's not been my experience. YMMV.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know of NO science that supports this belief. And, as the other poster mentioned, ALL foods are eventually broken down into sugars before being used by the body. Both insulin and sugar are required to feed the body, and proteins and fats will eventually be converted into sugars before being using by the body. Type 1 diabetes is not some sort of social or modern phenomenon that can be prevented or eliminated by changing lifestyles.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello I can se that you have a large knowledge about DM and isulin, but here are some additional information about ketoacidosis
Hope it is not inapropriate and to much off topic.

- Diabetic ketoacidosis: It is almost exlusivly seen in DM1. It is caused by profound insulin loss. There is so little insulin that adipose tissue start to really catabolize lipids without controll, providing fatty acids for production of ketons. (Fatty tissue is the organ whis has the highest sensitivity to insulin, and it lose controlly in severe loss of insulin, such as seen in DM1, and not DM2)

This fat is released into the blood and converted into ketons or back to triglycerides by the liver

There is typically severe hyperglycemia, which cause hyperosmolarity of the plasma. Initially this is compensated for by shifting of water out of the cell and the patient has polydipsia to compensate for the polyuria. But because of nausea and vomiting as a result of the beginning ketoacidosis this mechanism fail and the depleted intravascular volume leads to decreased bloodflow to the kidneys. (it is the hypovolemia which is the reason for coma and death in most cases, not the acidosis, which many think)

Hypovolemia activates stress mediators counteract the little insulin left. (such as adrenalin, glucagon, corticosteroids etc. )

Glucose levels rise abruptly because it is not lost through the kidney any more (because of hypovolemia, blood is shunted away from the kidney. The normal protectiv mechanism by loosing glucose through the urine is removed, and glucose increase uncontrollaby).

Coma occur as a result of the hyperosmolarity and loss on intracellular volume.

Keton bodies are acids that lower pH. Causing some of the symptoms of ketoacidosis such as kussmal breathing (rapid deep breathing)

Na+ is lost from the polyuria, so is K+, but because of the low pH, K+ shifts out from the cells and severe hypokalemia do not develop. But when administrating insulin glucose pull with it K+ back in the cells and severe hypokalemia develops. This can cause arrhythmias and death.

- Nonketoic hyperosmolar coma: usually develop in DM 2 in the setting of severe dehydration. Because of the absence of ketoacidosis and its symptoms patients often presents later, and therefor have more profound hyperglycemia and dehydration. Mortality is 10x higher then for ketoacidosis.

Thats is awosem info. It was always explained to me in hella stupid terms when I first got it at 14. Hence from what i said above but this is really good info to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back