DHA3000 (+L3000)
Sep 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JimP

500+ Head-Fier
I prostrate myself at the altar of AT....

dha3000-b.jpg

Honestly I have been getting a bit burnt out and cynical with this hobby lately, even quietly mulling just bailing out. But because I've stumbled on L3000s recently which I really like, I thought I'd roll the dice one last time with the DHA3000. Not much info out there, but a few credible testimonials as to the synergy of this combo (btw, I hate the word 'synergy'!).

I've finally jerry-rigged a set-up this evening (PC FLAC - 0404USB as SPDIF conduit - DHA3000 - L3000), and...

my...

jaw...

just...

dropped.

I've finally had a "so this is what the good stuff sounds like" moment.

Minor question for DHA3000 owners - what does the Digital EQ dial do? 1 vs 2? Other dials are self-evident.

I'm not going to go so far as to say I'm done, but I'm going to settle into this for a long ride. May try to optimize the feed into the DHA3000, may play with my second system, etc but this is my MAIN SYSTEM.

I'm sure there's better (but more $$$), but with this combo, I'm not even curious about the next plateau. I'm not a gearhead or a collector, this now allows me refocus my energies back on the music. I think you'll see my postings on HF diminish, but I'll still be around periodically to tweak and possibly sell-off ancillary stuff.

Grateful for Head-Fi:

--switching me on to PC as source (had no idea!)
--numerous people I've never met in person who went out of their way to provide input/explanations/suggestions patiently whether on the forums or through PMs
--expanding my music horizon -- will spend more time in the Music forum

now back to my altar...

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 17
Congratulations!! There aren't that many amps that can best the DHA3000 out there for the L3000. I'm listening to mine right now.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 17
I have many a time been curious about this amp but stayed away for 2 reasons.

1) I think that I get excelent synergy between the L3000 and my EarMax AE.
2) I have loads of hdcd encoded discs and the dac does not decode them.

So I stay with my Jungson hdcd player and EarMax amp and belive that I'm also at the altar.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 17
You have nice phones but...

IMO,

Sell the DHA3000 and get an Aural Audition or Micro-ZOTL. They are much more outperform the DHA3000 driving L3000, and much cheaper.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Jim,

Congratulations! I do hope one day I have a chance to listen to your setup.

AND,.... if you care to compare, I can bring along my Earmax SE, with exotic tubes. My PRX-100 also sounds great for the L3000, but it is simply too heavy to lug around to your place
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

You have nice phones but...

IMO,

Sell the DHA3000 and get an Aural Audition or Micro-ZOTL. They are much more outperform the DHA3000 driving L3000, and much cheaper.

I don't think so. The Micro-Zotl is nice but not as nice as the DHA3000. I've tried the combo and remember that the Micro-Zotl was pretty nice sounding but not yet up to the DHA3000.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. The Micro-Zotl is nice but not as nice as the DHA3000. I've tried the combo and remember that the Micro-Zotl was pretty nice sounding but not yet up to the DHA3000.

Do you still remember what tubes are put on the Micro-Zotl you tried? It makes a lot different while using different input ad output tubes. However I do believe what you say.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still remember what tubes are put on the Micro-Zotl you tried? It makes a lot different while using different input ad output tubes. However I do believe what you say.

I can't remember honestly. I remember liking the Micro-Zotl a lot. IMO, the DHA3000 really make the L3000 more transparent with more airy presentation. The bass is also more controlled than being driven out of the Micro-Zotl.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 17
nc8000, the dha3000 with it's non-defeatable dac limits its flexibility and has other quirks, but I can accept them (one that bugs me also is that one of the headphone plugs is mini - really useless!) I'm sure there are other super combos for L3000, but for me and for some duration this dha3k based system will do. Ironically the built-in dac frees up my DAC1USB which I can use to fiddle with a second system.

I've thought about tube amp - stared into that black abyss - then chickened out. Maybe in distant future I pick one up used just as alternative. I'm sure the other amps suggested above are awesome (I'm not familiar with them), but again not too motivated. Hey I've just cobbled together this system, and already people are suggesting changes
blink.gif
-- I know it's all good intentioned, but exactly the reason I need to now throttle back from HF
redface.gif
, hehe

Anyone know the answer in my original post, what is the Digital EQ dial position 1 vs 2?

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 17
I know how you feel JimP. When I got my DHA3000/L3000 combo, I too, thought I was done. I stopped posting on HF for a while and just enjoyed the music.

Two suggestions -
1) Listen to it after it's been on for a while (a couple of days at least - longer if you can).
2) Don't listen to a K1000 + good 300B tube amp.

Enjoy :)

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing
Two suggestions -
1) Listen to it after it's been on for a while (a couple of days at least - longer if you can).
2) Don't listen to a K1000 + good 300B tube amp.

X2 - Sounds like good advise to me.

OTOH, nice friend you turned out to be
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif
Fing . . . You have to know that you've now just re-opened Temptations's door to Jim
very_evil_smiley.gif
Jim - sorry mate . . . seems like we never really get off the upgrade treadmill
whacky068.gif

Cheers,
Garry

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minor question for DHA3000 owners - what does the Digital EQ dial do? 1 vs 2? Other dials are self-evident.

It looks like this question was never answered. The person I bought mine from said that 1 vs 2 is exactly the same when bass and treble are in the default position. Supposedly when you start making adjustments, 2 should leave the midrange more neutral.

Somehow I thought I heard a more dynamic sound in 1 and smoother sound in 2 even in the defaul settings. I was probably just hearing things. I've just left it on 1 and no adjustments on bass/treble. I figured the adjustments are if I didn't use the L3000 as my default headphone or the recording was really lacking.

I'm actually shocked at how well this amp brought out the highs in the L3000. They weren't quite lacking before but this gives them a nice airy, sparkly sound. I can't see anyone complaining about the highs in this combo. It also gave them perfect control of the bass. Very fast and hard hitting drums for rock and very deep and low bass for electronic music.

The other things is how well the amp/dac sounds with my other headphones. I tried my Grado SR-60 and amazed at the sound. Build quality aside, you'd wouldn't think they were that cheap. I also tried my ety ER4-S and this is the best I've heard them. Even the bass sounded great without any eq adjustments. It even had pretty good soundstage. I now understand why they haven't built multi-driver headphones. I can say this because when I tried my ue10, it sounded worse than the SR-60. It also had some slight hiss. Those damn headphone are impossible to amp right. Only the HR-2 made them sound their best and I still think the ER-4S bests them properly amped.

I can't wait to take this thing to a meet and see how it sounds on other headphones. Kind of wish I still have my PS-1 to try on it. Of course if I didn't sell those, I'd never have this combo which I like more.

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 17
hey, thanks a lot, this is first response on the eq. 1 vs 2 I've gotten. I also listen to L3000 straight-up, but play with mainly bass control with other phones. I;ve reread my OP, definitely 'new toy' response, but I am still thrilled with the L3000/DHA3000 over an extended period -- and use the DHA3000 a lot more than expected, ie with a lot of different phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back