DFW Meet #5. Summer 2007! (Dallas + Ft. Worth)
Jul 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #106 of 146
Nice! I've been looking forward to hearing those.

You'll have to fight Dan M. for them back after he gets a listen.

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Sadly my X-DACv3 won't be able to make it on account of it's just been sold, but I'm using the money to buy an Ultrasone Edition 9! So that'll be at the meet. I'm sure a lot of you are dying to hear that one.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #107 of 146
That's unfortunate! We'll miss you.

A few things I forgot to mention are that I'm bringing a Sonic Impact Super T amp, and also I'm wondering whether or not we'll have an internet connection. I'm looking at subscribing to NAXOS Music Library (a very large, mostly classical and jazz music server), and if we'll have a connection I might go ahead and purchase the subscription this week. So, my updated and probably final list of gear is as follows:

Ultrasone Edition 9
Lavry DA10
Digigram VXPocket V2 soundcard
HD545
HD25-1, but unfortunately without the foam
4ft. Cardas cable with mini-plug for the Senns
Pickering Model PH-4955 (very large headphones from the 70's)
pair of Magwires with Eichmann bullets
Sony Vaio laptop running Foobar and possibly with a NAXOS Music Library subscription (Digigram soundcard will be used)
A Sonic Impact Super T amp, just in case someone has some speakers or a K1000

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #108 of 146
Bummer. I hope everything works out OK for you.

I was looking forward to seeing your headphone rack/stand. Do you have any pictures of it?

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I just found out that I won't be able to attend. Something urgent has raised it's ugly head, and I can find no way around it. It pains me to miss this meet. Hopefully we'll have another in 6 months time or so.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #109 of 146
STEAXAUCE! I am really excited to hear that you will be coming with some ED9's! I promise to not be a hog but I can't wait to hear them. I see from your profile that in addition to headfi and high end headphones, we share another interest... very cool. Looking forward to meeting you, as well as all the other "locals" who hang out here.

Let's see, now all we need is someone with R-10's or L3000's to come to the meet and I will be a REAL happy camper!

Thanks for the heads up "Guitarplayer" about the ED9 post. FYI: Your Crynosures are out of this world amazing. I re-worked the placement of some of my gear and the Bocchino ends fit perfectly now on the Benchmark Dac1. See ya Sat.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #110 of 146
I think I'm just going to split the time that my MPX3 SE is available into using two different tube sets. The first will be the WE 396A + Sylvania 6BL7GT and the second will be a Sylvania 7N7 + Tung Sol 5687 with "d-getters". I'll probably keep all the other tubes and other stuff at home. Unfortunately, it takes my DAC about 48 hours to really warm up ... oh well
wink.gif

If possible, I'd like to hear the ED9s in both tube configurations.. also, I'd like to take a peek at the Naxos Music Library subscription, so I'd be interested in if we'll have Internet as well.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #111 of 146
I'm also looking forward to hearing the Edition9 with the MPX3. I noticed that NAXOS offers a 7-Day free trial, so I'll probably do that before the meet. Hopefully the free trial allows for 128kbps streaming instead of just 64kbps. 128 is quite a bit lower than I'd like, but 64kbps is too low, especially for meet impressions. If you're just interested in checking out the library though, maybe you should do the 7-day free trial.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #112 of 146
swt61: sorry to hear you won't be arriving! I had looked forward to meeting you . . . does this mean Kasp3r's ride is gone?

steaxauce: the Baylor library has a large collection of Naxos that you can utilize this weekend. I appreciate being able to use their "Anthology of Chinese Classical Music," by the Hugo Masters, for referencing specific instruments.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #113 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
swt61: sorry to hear you won't be arriving! I had looked forward to meeting you . . . does this mean Kasp3r's ride is gone?

steaxauce: the library has a large collection of Naxos that you can utilize this weekend. I appreciate being able to use their "Anthology of Chinese Classical Music," by the Hugo Masters, for referencing specific instruments.

Yes swt61 was my ride to the meet, but its alright i can always attend the next one.
icon10.gif

Have fun guys!

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #114 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I just found out that I won't be able to attend. Something urgent has raised it's ugly head, and I can find no way around it. It pains me to miss this meet. Hopefully we'll have another in 6 months time or so.

OK, I'll leave the box full of exotic wood at home...

Truly, we'll miss ya. Perhaps next time, or some of us come to Houston?

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #116 of 146
Would someone who is coming to the DFW meet be willing to allow me to roll a 12au7 tube or two at the meet? I have a Decware Zbox tube buffer that came with a stock 12au7. It sounds wonderful but I keep thinking I may be able to squeeze a bit more out of it with a tube upgrade? The tube sits on the front of the face plate for easy "plug and play" acess.

I would sure appreciate learning more about tubes for this little box from those with tube rigs. Thanks.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #117 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would someone who is coming to the DFW meet be willing to allow me to roll a 12au7 tube or two at the meet?

I can bring some 12AU7,12AT7,12AX7, etc... they will work fine with the Zbox. I may be able to dig up a nice Siemens 12ax7 (ECC83) with ribbed plates and a RCA clear top 12AU7... I probably have a dozen or so various singles...

be careful what you wish for in the land of NOS tubes
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #118 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be careful what you wish for in the land of NOS tubes
wink.gif

No kidding - maybe I should bring the xf3 Mullard el34... if only I knew how to bias them.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #119 of 146
Quote:

I can bring some 12AU7,12AT7,12AX7, etc... they will work fine with the Zbox. I may be able to dig up a nice Siemens 12ax7 (ECC83) with ribbed plates and a RCA clear top 12AU7... I probably have a dozen or so various singles...

Thanks Luvdunhill, I really appreciate it! I am also looking forward to hearing some nice tube rigs. I love my maxed HR home amp but you never know with this hobby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back