Detroit Bailout now over 95 BILLION dollars
Feb 21, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Total Bailout Bill: $97.4 Billion, with a 'B' - Autoblog

Wait though, that was the last time. They promised.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 70
I know...it's a mess. However, if the big 3 should happen to go under, the supplier network will follow in very short order. Detroit will look like Beirut and manufacturing for much of the rest of the country will look like it has in Detroit for the last 5 years.
frown.gif

I don't like the buyout at all. I think that in some respects that bankruptcy is the only thing that will ultimately allow the big 3 to make the changes that are needed to become profitable again. That said, I think the buyout might end up being the best option to fix a bad situation, unfortunately.

The whole situation sucks.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 70
Buy American!

(That wasnt political,was it?)

But really, if us Americans dont buy American, then we are sending what little money we have left out of our country.

We need to give our own people jobs, and buy from mom & pop stores again, instead of Walmart type stores, and get our money moving again and stimulate this economy.

Yes i like some products from other countries, but right now we have a depression forming. Its a little past a recession i think.
Alot if jobs here are laying people off, and i hear in Detroit, one in three homes are in foreclosure.
So what do we do?
These handouts from our broke government can only do so much.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 70
Don't look at me folks I drive a Ford truck and I'm not even American!

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: I.O.U.S.A.: The Movie

I'm going to watch that but all I have to say about fixing this and most all financial problems is down with fractional reserve banking and the sham central bank that is the private for-profit 'federal' reserve system.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 70
Here's the big problem: our totally unwieldy Federal income tax system has forced American citizens and businesses to send somewhere between US$10 and US$16 TRILLION in liquid assets out of the country using legal loopholes into offshore finance centers (OFCs) located in places like the Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Panama, Singapore, Switzerland and so on. The reason is simple: keep these assets out of the reach of the IRS.

Shouldn't these assets be sitting in American financial institutions and not in OFCs, where they do no good to the American economy? Maybe it's time to seriously look at changing our income tax laws so the incentive to "offshore" our financial assets for tax avoidance reasons goes away. There are many proposals to make this happen (lower top marginal rates with much fewer deductions and tax credits, flat tax of 4-6%, or even replacing the Federal income tax system with a true consumption tax system like the FairTax concept), but something HAS to be done to bring back that a large fraction of that US$10 to US$16 trillion sitting in OFCs in a positive incentive fashion, providing a gigantic liquidity boost in our financial system that could easily pay for helping the Big Three automakers and then some!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 70
If you're not afraid of a long, detailed, informative non-'infotainment' explanation of what's wrong with the financial system watch this:

Free Movies & Documentaries - The Money Masters (1995)
(You can ignore some of the conspiracy-ish type stuff which is just speculative although some of that stuff is based in fact. Most of it is very straightforward and verifiable from other sources.)

Just be prepared to be really pissed off.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 70
Makes me pretty glad that British Layland died its death in the mid '80s. Wouldn't want the tiny billions going on the Trident Replacement and our two new aircraft carriers having to be dumped into the giant billions pot along with the bank bailouts.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 70
I know very little about business and finance except from what I read from the New York Times everyday. I do think that my position though is quite unique. I work in a high-end restaurant directly across the street from the NYSE and I often run the private parties for these big investment banks. Because of this, I am privy to some very confidential conversations and what I hear, to tell you the truth, makes me sick. The cavalier attitudes and sense of entitlements that these Wall Street tycoons have is astounding to me. To bring the opening post into what I've just said, is that as much as this bailout money disturbs me for the auto industry, at least the auto industry is producing something useful that people need. We are talking about good old-fashioned goods and services, not derivatives and futures. So as much as I hate the idea of giving bailout money to anyone, I am much more measured in my opinions about the auto industry. Not so with the financial industry. As far as I'm concerned, Wall Street can burn.

There is one more thing I would like to share with everyone. Since I work across from the NYSE I am pretty good by now at feeling the temperature and climate as to what is going on. Folks, it is going to get a lot worse so brace yourselves. I see it getting worse every single day there. It's scary. I, for one, do not know how much longer I will have a job.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just read that the Pontiac division of GM will be phased out completely soon. Gone. First Oldsmobile now Pontiac. I hope the entire thing doesn't keel over.

That would be bad. Buy American.

... and that is why I started the thread about the Chevy Volt. This car might just make or break Chevy and could really effect millions of lives.

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #15 of 70
When I was shopping for a car a couple years ago I couldn't find any import I was satisfied. I ended up with a 2006 Pontiac Grandprix and I love this car. It does everything I need and more. Comfortable, quiet, quick, and good mileage. I owned a 1990 Accord before my Grandprix and never thought I'd own a domestic car, but I kept my mind open when I started searching and in the end the decision was very easy to buy American this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back