Detroit Bailout now over 95 BILLION dollars
Feb 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to blame someone for the demise of the US car industry look to Harvard and Yale. These are the 'geniuses' who don't know a spark plug from a big end yet these guys have been running the show for he last 15 years. Listen MBA boy, a guy with 20 years design or engineering experience is a valuable asset NOT a liabilty!

Why are engineers liability? because they are on the right side of the balance sheet, filed under expense initially, only to reduce the shareholder's equity later on => epic liability.

Generally all employees are liability, unless you actively engage in the manufacturing/production of the inventory, only then will you be an asset. (so some engineers may be assets, but most are not)

Why would anyone from HBS want to work for GM? assuming not coming from HBS's executive MBA program.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that people in cars are inattentive. I can't tell you the number of times I was almost killed by idiots on cell phones in cars while riding on my bike. I still ride on trails, but riding around in the city is a deathwish.

Yep. My daughter was almost run over a couple of days ago. Some idiot blew through a stop sign and slammed on the brakes at the last moment. He came within a couple of feet of hitting her. Of course, he was yapping on his cell phone. I freaked... I stood in front of his car so that he couldn't drive off and screamed at him for about 30 seconds. The only other time someone almost ran over us, it was also someone yapping away on their phone. This one was much closer; she only missed me by three or four inches. She didn't even notice and just kept driving obliviously.

This is really a sore point with me, as California has passed a law that forbids driving while talking on a cell phone (there are exceptions, unfortunately, for "hands-free" phones). NOBODY obeys it. Everyone is so cavalier about how absolutely important their phones calls ("I'm here, where are you?") are; they don't even try to hide their calls when police are in the car next to them, and for some reason the cops don't seem to care. Can you imagine someone taking a swig of whiskey at the wheel and not trying to hide it? Well, it's been proven that driving while talking is just as dangerous as drunk driving.

angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix:

MSRP: $21,000-27,000

Value today, just 3 years later:

$11,000-5,600

No thanks. I'll stick to Honda or Subaru.

You make it seem like it's a price thing, but it isn't at all, and for the record I bought it used for $13,200 a year and a half ago. I don't care what it cost (within reason) if it is what I find does the best job. I don't buy crap with anything I buy so I wouldn't do it on my car either. I tried a few Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Pontiacs, VWs, etc and the Grand Prix won quite easily even compared to cars that were $4,000-5,000 more. The car has been perfectly reliable, just oil changes and tire rotations since I bought it. I plan to keep this car until becomes more expensive to keep up with repairs than to buy a new (used) car, which I expect will be many years from now. I could care less what the resell value is because I plan to have the car for at least 10 years, that's the point you are missing. You shouldn't buy a car based on resale value, you should buy the car you want to keep.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 70
The scariest point made in this thread, hasn't even been mentioned. Earwicker you just made Headphoneus Supremus. Congrats!

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You make it seem like it's a price thing, but it isn't at all, and for the record I bought it used for $13,200 a year and a half ago. I don't care what it cost (within reason) if it is what I find does the best job. I don't buy crap with anything I buy so I wouldn't do it on my car either. I tried a few Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, Pontiacs, VWs, etc and the Grand Prix won quite easily even compared to cars that were $4,000-5,000 more. The car has been perfectly reliable, just oil changes and tire rotations since I bought it. I plan to keep this car until becomes more expensive to keep up with repairs than to buy a new (used) car, which I expect will be many years from now. I could care less what the resell value is because I plan to have the car for at least 10 years, that's the point you are missing. You shouldn't buy a car based on resale value, you should buy the car you want to keep.

I agree with you keeping a long time, but you're missing the point. You said you'd get a different car when the cost to repair > a new car. My point is this is going to happen much sooner with a car that won't be worth anything. If you get something that retains its value, there is more incentive to keep it maintained because you aren't just throwing money into a vacuum.

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

I agree with you keeping a long time, but you're missing the point. You said you'd get a different car when the cost to repair > a new car. My point is this is going to happen much sooner with a car that won't be worth anything. If you get something that retains its value, there is more incentive to keep it maintained because you aren't just throwing money into a vacuum.

The value isn't all that different after 10 years. I searched 1999 (10 years ago from now) Accord LX 4 door, standard options 100k miles and Grand Prix GT 4 door standard options 100k miles. The KBB excellent on the Accord was 5,900. The Grand Prix was 4,500. $1400 is a decent amount, but in the end I'd rather have $1400 less money and have driven the car I WANTED for 10 years. You also have to consider parts cost, I don't know how parts are now, but previously Honda parts have always been much more expensive than domestic parts. The difference could easily make the final expenditure actually favor the Grand Prix.

For completeness,

1999 Accord MSRP: $15,200 - $24,300
1999 Grand Prix MSRP: $19,560 - $23,985

The Accord has a lower end because they nearly strip down the car. The lowest model Grand Prix has a good set of default options. The Accord actually is more expensive on the top end by $315.

I still don't understand why you think the Grand Prix will be worthless when the Honda will still be very valuable??? I would imagine that after about 10 years both cars would be more expensive to repair than they are worth and would both need replacing.

More completeness:

2006 Honda Accord LX 4dr 50k KBB Excellent: $13,700
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr 50k KBB Excellent: $12,600

Looks like they are losing value at nearly the same pace. You make it seem like the Honda keeps it's retail value while the Pontiac is 1/2 price the second it drops off the new car lot.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #39 of 70
Just wait my friend. I used to be into domestics, and got bit HARD by the (lack of) resale value, and learned my lesson. Now I stick to other stuff, unless there's a real deal somewhere.

Feb 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #40 of 70
I'm not sure how to explain it any other way, I don't care about resale value. I care about driving the car I want to drive. This should be obvious by what crowd a site like Head-fi attracts.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 70
if i ever get a car, it will have to be small, good on petrol and probably diesel. so... it won't be american. the chevy volt looks okay but i really don't like american cars' interiors: too much plastic and strange button arrangement.

however, by the time i am ready, perhaps they will hire engineers again or interior designers as they are too ugly. im thinking vw polo or something.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i ever get a car, it will have to be small, good on petrol and probably diesel. so... it won't be american. the chevy volt looks okay but i really don't like american cars' interiors: too much plastic and strange button arrangement.

however, by the time i am ready, perhaps they will hire engineers again or interior designers as they are too ugly. im thinking vw polo or something.

vw_polo_gti_4.jpg

Plastic

American car:

1234485648_9ff242f380_o.jpg

Not seeing much difference, except the first car is much more boring. I wonder if VW engineers set out to try to cram as many buttons as close together as possible on that center console.

Center console from same American car:

pontiac_grand_prix_sedan_2008_dashboard_instrumentpanel.jpg

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #43 of 70
The VW looks more refined. Pontiac just looks blah...

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VW looks more refined. Pontiac just looks blah...

Plastic is plastic. He didn't say anything about style. The VW may look more refined, but it has zero personality at all, plus having gotten used to the angled console I can't imagine having a flat console again. It is super annoying trying to drive another car that doesn't have it.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #45 of 70
I think Ford and Chevy should change their names to make people think they are Japanese cars.

I suggest Ford change their name to Hondo and Chevy changes its name to Toyoto.

Most Americans will be fooled into buying them. That will be the only way they can compete with foreign cars and keep the money in the US ecomomy.

On the current plan we will the get the same old crappy unrealible, fix or repair daily cars that do not appeal to most consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back