Detroit - Ann Arbor meet. Let's make it happen... Again!
Feb 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #181 of 197
Yeah, optical input is what I need. The DAC's LED switch stays red (indicates no signal), the toslink fiber is glowing red, and the Windows sound control panel shows a changing sound level when I hit the test button. I'll try updating/rolling back my laptop's Realtek sound drivers next

aboxman: ideally it would just be the connector. I doubt you would let me buy your adaptor for $2-4... as I would just cut off the 2.5mm and solder on my RSA plug

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #182 of 197
I would try uninstalling your laptop's realtek and using the windows universal drivers. Realtek drivers cause massive performance issues with my notebook. Also obviously make sure you are outputting on SPDIF and not to your regular speakers/headphones. This would require setting your SPDIF device as default output.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #183 of 197
Man, I'd love to make it to this, but my cousin's wedding is this Sat..

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #184 of 197
  1. If you are coming, PM me (jude) to let me know (including any guests you may be bringing). This will give me an idea of how many are showing up. I will also respond with an address for the meet, but will not include specific directions (because, in this age, you can use Google Maps, or your car's navigation system, for directions to that address).
  2. If everyone on Kibble Fat's list ends up showing up, it's going to be pretty crowded, so expect to be standing when you're not listening to a rig.
  3. Doors will open at 9:00 a.m. I will not be there long before that, so, for your own sake, please do not show up too early. The meet will run until about 6:00 p.m., or until the last person leaves--whichever comes first.
  4. The AC outlets are spaced far apart in places, so please bring extension cords (if you have them), and definitely power strips.
  5. I will be providing coffee, cold drinks, and lunch. If you are a vegetarian, please include that in your PM to me. Given that I will likely be going with (good) pizza, the only special dietary requirement I can meet will pretty much just be vegetarian. If you have very specific, special dietary needs, still let me know, and I'll see what I can do. (NOTE: A hankering for Fleming's steaks does not qualify as a special dietary need. 
    wink_face.gif
    )
  6. I will have a roll or two of blue tape and permanent markers that you may want to use to label your gear. (Hint: Write on the tape before you stick it to your gear.) I've found this blue tape to be safe for most surfaces, but, if you have any doubt, do not stick it to your gear.
  7. Please read and heed the meet guide (below), which was originally written by SiBurning for the New York Meet(s).

HELPFUL GUIDE FOR THE UNINITIATED (& friendly reminders)

(This list was published by SiBurning, and was built upon lessons learnt by the NYC crew, thanks guys)

Personal Hygiene is important.
  1. Wash your hair and your ears.
  2. Avoid the use of products like hair gel, hair spray, mousse, etc. Seriously, some of the headphones you'll have the opportunity to try cost more than a good used car. We don't want your hair gunk on our headphones, thanks.
  3. With all the gear & other members, it gets warm in the room. Dress accordingly.
  4. Again, it can get warm in the room, so don't forget the deodorant (THIS goes for oldtimers as well). Baby powder & cologne are not adequate substitutes.

The most important thing of all is to have fun.
  1. Meets are great, so be prepared to have a great day with fellow Head-Fi members.
  2. Bring whatever gear you want. If you don't have any, that's OK. Just bring your ears.
  3. You can try whatever gear you want, but be polite, ask permission, don't be a gear hog, etc.
  4. If you have any questions about gear, look for the owner and ask. Or just ask whomever is listening (after they're done).
  5. Do not be shy.
  6. Mingle.
  7. You will (almost certainly) find everyone to be very friendly & helpful. 
  8. Most of all, enjoy yourself and take the opportunity to hear gear you normally wouldn't get a chance to, or are thinking of buying.

Get organized.
  1. Take a mental (or written) list of what you want to hear. If you do this before the meet, leave some time to look around and listen to some surprises.
  2. You'll be overwhelmed with the amount of gear that will be at the meet.
  3. Read the impressions thread afterward. You'll realize you missed listening to something you wanted to hear.
  4. Time flies at these meets.

Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.
  1. Treat all gear with the utmost respect.
  2. Ask if you're not sure how to operate any gear, or you're just curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way around. Don't just assume that everything works the same way. Just ask, it can save a lot of heartache.
  3. Respect the owner's wishes.
  4. Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
  5. If you have any doubt or questions, ask.
  6. Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner.
  7. Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
  8. Do not remove any cables or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
  9. If you do take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, try to remember where you got it from, and bring it back when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter. 
  10. If you listen loud, remember to lower the volume for the next person.
  11. If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #186 of 197
Somebody asked about some LCD 2's (properly driven) being at the meet. Well, I can bring my LCD 2's, and I have a rockhopper m^3 which I'm not sure will meet approval but I'm more than willing to let them (LCD-2's) be plugged into other amps. I can also bring Beyer DT1350 and DT880, and the TTVJ Slim +DAC, with an LOD for an iPod.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #187 of 197
Let the final countdown commence!

Just a reminder: I'm aiming to be there right around 9 with a bunch of Panera bagles.

It's gonna be a good time! Make sure you pace yourself and listen to what you set out to :) Time definitely does fly at these meets.

Oh, and THANK YOU musicman59 (aka Jose). I got my new LCD-2 Rev2 yesterday and went to his place last night where he reterminated a cable with an RSA balanced plug so I can use them with my SR-71B. He did a beautiful job and I'm very pleased with it.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #188 of 197
I've got an RSA plug and some cable ready for assembly, there's just one ingrediant missing... a female 4-conductor mini ! :rolleyes: If anyone has one I can buy for less than $5, I'll solder it up right quick at the meet. My last resord is to crack open an old cell phone

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #189 of 197
I'll be there...

I'm bringing the following gear:

Senn HD-800 and HD-600
Grado HF-2
Beyerdynamic TP-50 and DT-770

MF V-Cans, V-DAC, V-PSU, V-Link

HRT Music Streamer Pro DAC

HRT Head Streamer DAC/Amp

HRT iStreamer DAC

Blossom 0169 Balanced Amp with Cary PS Upgrade

RSA SR-71B Amp

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #190 of 197
Ill bring d5000, and audio-gd compass.  Why not... also will bring re-2 and klipsch s4i if anyone really wants to hear those.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #191 of 197
Has anyone been PM'd with the location? I PM'd jude but I got no response yet so I still have no clue what the address is.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #195 of 197
just got home from work going to bed lol.  I normally sleep until 4pm I'll set it for earlier and see if I make a late appearance.  TBD.  Have fun guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back