Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #316 of 693
Really it is poor design to colour an amp or other source like device. They should impart absolutely nothing into the sound. Why on earth when you have end devices like headphones where sound tunings are almost unavoidable and make sense, and or access to DSP would you want an amp/DAC to colour the sound?

Technically that is really a sign of poor engineering. An amp and DAC must get out of the way. Period. That is what they should do. Nothing more. Amplify a signal or convert a signal, not alter it.
I hear you, but I think it is the end result that matters.

As I understand it, some of the tweaking available to us (such as Eq.) reduce the sound quality, so having a device which maintains the sound quality while giving us the tonal flavour we want, must be a good thing.

Judging by most here, I would say, it is clearly not "poor engineering" to give so many people the tonal flavour they like, whilst maintaining such good sound quality. I have more neutral devices, but I keep going for the Pegasus SG1, when I want to listen to music.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #317 of 693
I hear you, but I think it is the end result that matters.

As I understand it, some of the tweaking available to us (such as Eq.) reduce the sound quality, so having a device which maintains the sound quality while giving us the tonal flavour we want, must be a good thing.

Judging by most here, I would say, it is clearly not "poor engineering" to give so many people the tonal flavour they like, whilst maintaining such good sound quality. I have more neutral devices, but I keep going for the Pegasus SG1, when I want to listen to music.
I would agree that saying "poor engineering" was perhaps not the most accurate way to characterize this situation. I think I can walk it back a little and say with more confidence in being reasonable that it was a deliberate, and for some, maybe many engineers, not a decision that they would make.

I get that designers are always trying to find a way to stand out in the crowd, and sometimes they elect to colour a device that arguably should not be the target of such a design decision. Ultimately I do take and like your point that for you, and others, they have really enjoyed the final results.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #318 of 693
I would agree that saying "poor engineering" was perhaps not the most accurate way to characterize this situation. I think I can walk it back a little and say with more confidence in being reasonable that it was a deliberate, and for some, maybe many engineers, not a decision that they would make.

I get that designers are always trying to find a way to stand out in the crowd, and sometimes they elect to colour a device that arguably should not be the target of such a design decision. Ultimately I do take and like your point that for you, and others, they have really enjoyed the final results.
I agree that coloring the sound isn't a professional way to go. But i wouldn't say that the Pegasus sounds colored. It just has a very strong dynamics and slight warmth due to a smoother treble (a decision of an engeener to avoid artificial BT timbre in trebles). The result is very surprising for me, i really didn't expect such overall quality. I was prepared to put the Pegasus on classifieds after a couple days of fun with it but I'm actually selling the Shanling M8 instead.
The Pegasus gold has more power, better dynamics, warmer treble and sounds less analytical. The bass is also way deeper and more punchy but it doesn't overwhelm lower mids.
The M8 is more transparent but the Pegasus doesn't lack much detail in comparison.
The sound is more fun on the Pegasus, even the stage seems slightly deeper (the width is very similar).
Objectively the M8 sounds better but also worse hah, hard to describe. And the M8 is the best dap I've heard below 2k dollars.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #319 of 693

My sincere respect to you. You make your point with maturity, having a discussion and recognising the other point of view without degenerating the entire discussion into a slanging match, which often happens on audio forums.

Much respect to you! We are here to share opinions not fight each other.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #320 of 693
The Monarch 2 became bassheads with the Pegasus. There was not even one point they lacked incredible bass depth, no matter what i throw at them (listening the whole day).
But the best thing is that the bass has fantastic quality. Is fast, layered, punchy, deep, never floods the mids. Seems like Monarchs mid bass neutrality works very well with Pegasus.
The only big con is battery life. I think the gold version is able to push max 4h of playback. I ordered a very small power bank with 14000 capacity so i can make a neat stack when needed.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #321 of 693
I’ve managed to buy a used sg1 off eBay for a good price. I’m looking forward to it :)

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #322 of 693
My sincere respect to you. You make your point with maturity, having a discussion and recognising the other point of view without degenerating the entire discussion into a slanging match, which often happens on audio forums.

Much respect to you! We are here to share opinions not fight each other.
That is very kind of you. I do try to communicate with others here, and even when we have differences, I always hope that at the core, we treat each other with respect and try to always remember that we are all in this and other similar communities because we love music, and we love the experience of the gear that helps us enjoy it. Never something that should result in slanging each other. Same goes for you by the way, rather than responding to my original post with derision or anger, I thought your response was conversational, respectful and dignified. Much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #323 of 693
I agree that coloring the sound isn't a professional way to go. But i wouldn't say that the Pegasus sounds colored. It just has a very strong dynamics and slight warmth due to a smoother treble (a decision of an engeener to avoid artificial BT timbre in trebles). The result is very surprising for me, i really didn't expect such overall quality. I was prepared to put the Pegasus on classifieds after a couple days of fun with it but I'm actually selling the Shanling M8 instead.
The Pegasus gold has more power, better dynamics, warmer treble and sounds less analytical. The bass is also way deeper and more punchy but it doesn't overwhelm lower mids.
The M8 is more transparent but the Pegasus doesn't lack much detail in comparison.
The sound is more fun on the Pegasus, even the stage seems slightly deeper (the width is very similar).
Objectively the M8 sounds better but also worse hah, hard to describe. And the M8 is the best dap I've heard below 2k dollars.
You people are making me wish that I needed a dac/amp so that I could try this one. I have actually followed this and the original device thread with great interest as I am pretty confident that while I have no need, I will probably still get a device such as this again. As I said, a great deal of pleasure in this hobby is the joy of trying new gear regardless if we need it or not.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #324 of 693
You people are making me wish that I needed a dac/amp so that I could try this one. I have actually followed this and the original device thread with great interest as I am pretty confident that while I have no need, I will probably still get a device such as this again. As I said, a great deal of pleasure in this hobby is the joy of trying new gear regardless if we need it or not.
I'm coming from a very pure "audiofile crap" status after owning many high end daps like shanling M9, sp1k, sp1km, M8, dx320 with some amps (EXN, 13), kann Max, sp2kt, trying many others like sp2k, Sony 1z, Fiio m17, sr25II and many many others. And honestly having great iems, like the Monarch Mk2, the Pegasus sounds almost as good as the others high end daps but with even more dynamics and deeper bass. Sure the quality of notes isn't as sophisticated as on the top of the line daps but the thing is that this qualities don't differ as much as people think.
So I'm staying with the sg1 Gold and I'm having a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #325 of 693
Guys, daps sound like CRAP in comparison to the Pegasus.
Every dap I've had/heard played mainly with midrange. Daps don't even compare to the Pegasus'es presentation. Pegasus has the sound quality of a full blown class A desktop amplifier. There is no comparison even.
After listening to my least midrangy dap and going to the Pegasus, the quality is on a different level entirely. The Pegasus crashes this dap easily.
Daps suck!

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #326 of 693
Totally agree with you. The bit rate of LDAC could reach 990K, but it is very sensitive to the distance. My use scenario needs to move constantly, so the effect is not good. I have dongle that can support Aptx HD. The effect is obviously better than LDAC(with Phone), but the size is inconvenient to use with mobile phone.

1678179366754.png
A little late to the party - have been trying out the new A2DP stack from here : https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/
LDAC via the built-in Bluetooth for a very low price and not extra dongle - even tweaking the SBC codec work wonders on non-LDAC devices.

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #327 of 693
A little late to the party - have been trying out the new A2DP stack from here : https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/
LDAC via the built-in Bluetooth for a very low price and not extra dongle - even tweaking the SBC codec work wonders on non-LDAC devices.
How did you get LDAC with iPhone? I meant this for @BladeRose

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #328 of 693
I'm coming from a very pure "audiofile crap" status after owning many high end daps like shanling M9, sp1k, sp1km, M8, dx320 with some amps (EXN, 13), kann Max, sp2kt, trying many others like sp2k, Sony 1z, Fiio m17, sr25II and many many others. And honestly having great iems, like the Monarch Mk2, the Pegasus sounds almost as good as the others high end daps but with even more dynamics and deeper bass. Sure the quality of notes isn't as sophisticated as on the top of the line daps but the thing is that this qualities don't differ as much as people think.
So I'm staying with the sg1 Gold and I'm having a lot of fun!
I’ll never buy another dap. I’ve gone the way of dac/amp & phone via Bluetooth. The sound on the SG1 is so good and there’s others that are excellent as well. The sound I get even over Bluetooth is good enough for me and I have my light fast phone as the source. Theses 3,000.00+ daps are insanely expensive.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #330 of 693
Mine arrived today and it sounds so good with the grado hemps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back