Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 22, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #286 of 694
So i ordered the Pegasus Gold. Lets see how it will stand against the Shanling M8. At most you will soon see it on classifieds (but i hope not :))
Highly unlikely. I own one. I own five portable DAC/amps and the M17 and the DX320 and it’s my fav.

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #290 of 694
Which soft version gives the most bass and the smoothest sound with the Gold edition?

I messaged Anson about firmware for Gold and turns out firmware on Gold is special edition and not regular edition. He said it's OK to try regular firmware but apparently "timbre and output" won't be great. He kindly sent over Gold firmware in case I wanted to try regular firmware anyway and flash back to Gold firmware. I might try that later, for now I'm enjoying very much the sound as is.
For this reason I've never updated to any of the 2 different firmware versions that are available on the Dethonray website.

Like @povidlo said, You can email Anson and he will give you the firmware for the Special Gold so you can try all the different flavors and find a sound to your liking.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #295 of 694
@povidlo might know. I don't know if he tried out all the different firmwares. I have not.

The original has 2.8V (32Ω) and I think the Gold is 6V (32Ω).
@Kordonrules is the only one who has both versions as far as i know (besides Anson lol). I haven't tried standard firmware on my Gold.

Gold's 4.4mm is quoted at 4.8V (32Ω), while other versions are quoted at 2.8V (32Ω). I assume these are vrms values but it has been mentioned they could be vpp?

Power and volume range are very good. There's enough play in low gain on the volume pot for not hard to drive single dynamic iems like xelento and ie900. At the same time, there are no issues driving various difficult loads like r70x and e5000 in high gain. I heard honey h1 had some issues with volume knob and volume adjustment so i was a bit worried on that front when getting SG1 but Dethonray really nailed on the volume control on this one- it's unique and useful.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #296 of 694
The sound between the two versions is very close with the gold to my ears being slightly more robust, more musical with more depth. And obviously significantly more power.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #298 of 694
@povidlo Does the volume on your SG1 Gold have a delay when you turn it up? Mine does. When I turn it up it's about 2 seconds before the sound goes up.
Both versions have that with the gold being a few milliseconds longer. No clue why.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #299 of 694
From what I understand, volume knob is intended to work like that. Dethonray calls it Touch&Feel. Basically, volume changes once the knob is settled in new position. It doesn't adjust while turning, unless there's a large turn. There's very good resistance on the knob, it feels great to adjust it slowly. This mechanism is pretty unique, none of my other knobs behave like that. For me, this plays important part in overall charm of this unit.

1679498073860.png

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #300 of 694
From what I understand, volume knob is intended to work like that. Dethonray calls it Touch&Feel. Basically, volume changes once the knob is settled in new position. It doesn't adjust while turning, unless there's a large turn. There's very good resistance on the knob, it feels great to adjust it slowly. This mechanism is pretty unique, none of my other knobs behave like that. For me, this plays important part in overall charm of this unit.

1679498073860.png
One of the best knobs I’ve ever felt. Umm, that sounds weird lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back