Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #271 of 693
Low gain is not powerful ,so it is for IEM. High gain is for headphone, HD800, the knob is near 10 o'clock.

Screenshot_20230319-182254_Photos.jpg

Yes, the gold version looks good but the Standard SG1 drives my hard to drive Blon B20 Planar Magnetic Headphones quite well and having the option of 3.5mm is useful.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #273 of 693
The Special Edition Gold has twice the power of the original Pegasus and there isn't a 3.5 phone out. If I was using it for iems, I would probably go with the original non-gold SG1s. It should drive them fine and it has the 3.5mm phone out.
well said.
This is the exact reason i didn't get the Gold version, fear that the Gold SG1 would be too powerful for IEM.
The Standard version has plenty of juice on its own and sufficient to drive IEM and some headphone.
The Gold SG1 is more like Anson being really nice to us, and spoil us with some thing 'special'.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #274 of 693
well said.
This is the exact reason i didn't get the Gold version, fear that the Gold SG1 would be too powerful for IEM.
The Standard version has plenty of juice on its own and sufficient to drive IEM and some headphone.
The Gold SG1 is more like Anson being really to us, and spoil us with some thing 'special'.
I use all my iem’s and buds with the gold no problem. But to each their own.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #277 of 693
Guys how would you compare the Pegasus Gold to the Gryphon, Mojo 2? Im interested in a gold edition because my daily drivers are the Monarch 2 and they really like more power, especially for pushing their quite stubborn DD driver.
Im now using them with the Shanling M8 and love this combo but in search for something more portable. I love warm, punchy and bassier sound.
Other option for me is the Gryphon with bass boost, not interested in Mojo 2 which sounded similar to the M8 but slightly worse overall.

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #279 of 693
Guys how would you compare the Pegasus Gold to the Gryphon, Mojo 2? Im interested in a gold edition because my daily drivers are the Monarch 2 and they really like more power, especially for pushing their quite stubborn DD driver.
Im now using them with the Shanling M8 and love this combo but in search for something more portable. I love warm, punchy and bassier sound.
Other option for me is the Gryphon with bass boost, not interested in Mojo 2 which sounded similar to the M8 but slightly worse overall.
I own both. They are very close but to my ears I prefer the Gold. YMMV.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #280 of 693
Wondering what difference in sq would be between Pegasus and higher end dap, like the M8 for example. I could trade some of the detail for the musicality if its as addictive as people mention here.
Any comparisons vs Shanling, IBasso or AK daps? Hows the bass, staging and separation?
Also i have Samsung s20 phone so no LDAC available for me.
For now, my main concern would be battery life which is stated around 5-6h with 3,5h of charge- this seems just not good at all. Im getting around 9-10h from 4,4mm on the M8 and the Gryphon seems getting similar battery life.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #281 of 693
Wondering what difference in sq would be between Pegasus and higher end dap, like the M8 for example. I could trade some of the detail for the musicality if its as addictive as people mention here.
Any comparisons vs Shanling, IBasso or AK daps? Hows the bass, staging and separation?
For now, my main concern would be battery life which is stated around 5-6h with 3,5h of charge- this seems just not good at all. Im getting around 9-10h from 4,4mm on the M8 and the Gryphon seems getting similar battery life.
No LDAC? What is the codec then?

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #284 of 693
First, there should be LDAC in your phone. As fas as I know, Samsung tries to get the license for LDAC even for its Exynos-based platform flagships so there would be no difference to Qualcomm versions.

I can compare to Shanling, HiBy, Hidizs, xDuoo DAPs based on Sabre DAC chips - all more cattle-like, thin and metallic sound (brighter), especially over BT (more abrupt). Definitely, there are more evidence of converting wireless back to analogue. I wouldn't say that stage is wider or separation is better - the details do lack a bit, but the overall musicality, timbre and naturality are really among its virtues. Like comparing a high-quality tape playing (Pegasus - mellow and smooth) versus CD (recent DAPs on ESS - bright and crisp).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back