Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #166 of 700
How did you determine 4x power? Gold's 4.4mm is quoted at 4.8V (32Ω), while other versions are quoted at 2.8V (32Ω). That's a significant power improvement but is less than 2x, right?

Gold can drive Edition XS well, I was listening to this combo last night. It should be able to drive majority of headphones, especially portable ones. I have some demanding ones like 6XX, DT800 600, and R70x so I might put Pegasus on a stress test later but I typically listen to those headphones from my desktop amps anyway.

20230112_081324.jpg

Cool! Drive Edition XS well! You are pushing me to gold! Hahaha.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #167 of 700
How did you determine 4x power? Gold's 4.4mm is quoted at 4.8V (32Ω), while other versions are quoted at 2.8V (32Ω). That's a significant power improvement but is less than 2x, right?

Gold can drive Edition XS well, I was listening to this combo last night. It should be able to drive majority of headphones, especially portable ones. I have some demanding ones like 6XX, DT800 600, and R70x so I might put Pegasus on a stress test later but I typically listen to those headphones from my desktop amps anyway.

Based on my experience of using SG1, it should be Vpp. If Vrms is used as the measurement unit, it should be 1.1Vrms. Because I have sony 300A, 4.4 Max output is 2Vrms, the actual performance is not as good as sg1, but the loudness is good enough. Gold is 4.8Vrms, which should be 4 x. I still like to get more feedback and confirm whether gold has such a magic to drive more headphones well. lol

The reason why I really decided to try sg1 is DPPU. This kind of circuit design will be complex and costly and similar to desktop device solutions. Most companies will not design power part in a customized mode. So I think SG1 should not be bad! Actually, it's much better than I expected!

1673662711447.png

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #169 of 700
Does anyone have the Gryphon and the SG1. Comparing streaming with the Gryphon, in what ways might the SG1 sound different.
They are both really close with the Gryphon being a bit warmer sounding to me. I prefer the sound of SG1, more lively and detailed.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #170 of 700
Based on my experience of using SG1, it should be Vpp. If Vrms is used as the measurement unit, it should be 1.1Vrms. Because I have sony 300A, 4.4 Max output is 2Vrms, the actual performance is not as good as sg1, but the loudness is good enough. Gold is 4.8Vrms, which should be 4 x. I still like to get more feedback and confirm whether gold has such a magic to drive more headphones well. lol

The reason why I really decided to try sg1 is DPPU. This kind of circuit design will be complex and costly and similar to desktop device solutions. Most companies will not design power part in a customized mode. So I think SG1 should not be bad! Actually, it's much better than I expected!

1673662711447.png
Thanks for the feedback. I don't follow how you came up your conclusion as both Gold and non-Gold are quoted in V. Most likely that's Vrms. If quoting was for Vpp, they would be both quoted in that, which still shows less than 2x power increase. It might be misleading to compare to other sources based on loudness. I've had Sony DAPs as well which have low power rating but sound very loud.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #171 of 700
I find Pegasus Gold sounds V-shaped with stock firmware. Great extension on both ends. Treble is very lively and well tuned. There's unreal sparkle and air that's front and center in terms of focus. Leads to great sense of energy and powerful macro-dynamics.

Provides great contrast to my other BT dacs:
-HM1000 Red v2: gives darker, deeper, micro-dynamics focused R2R sound
-N3Pro: gives richer, lusher, thicker tube sound
-GO blu: gives neutral-warm, DSP presets fun sound

Listening to SG1 Gold can become slightly sibilant (on stock firmware) with bright headphones/earphones depending on music. Best synergy so far has been with Sennheiser HD 6XX which are dark and mid-centric. There's a huge power tap: with high gain going above 10-11am mark on the knob is too loud for most recordings.

20230123_111317.jpg

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #172 of 700
One more raving review on Youtube:

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #175 of 700
I paid for my Pegasus SG1 and I hope to review it on Head-fi.
Good to know. Looking forward to your review. I paid for mine as well.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #177 of 700
I`ll join the club, too! Mine should arrive in the next days! :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #178 of 700
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #179 of 700
Received my unit yesterday - unfortunately I am having several "start problems":

1. Balanced 4,4 mm output for whatever reason has less total volume and also less treble energy than 3,5 mm ....and the volume adjustment is sometimes "jumping". I suspect this could have to do with firmware of that I think still only the very first version is installed.

2. Well, I wanted to install the new firmware, but after downloading it, the exe file, that I am supposed to click first (according to the video guide), says: "Cannot be used on this PC." I could not figure out the problem?

3. I have some air bubbles under the glass panel of the black side of the device and one of the buttons does not „click“ properly and is harder to press than the rest of the buttons.

Anyone else with some of these problems and maybe some tips? Also wrote to Ansonn....

Otherwise the device looks and feels very impressive.... I hope I can use it properly soon and get a better picture of its sound…

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #180 of 700
Just ordered the gold from audio essence. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back