DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2 CLASS A (16 - 600ohm) Portable IEM Headphone Amplifier
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #47 of 230
Have you tested the amp with the CalyxM by any chance?
No, because the Calyx M doesn't have a dedicated LO, it would be double amping. I can do it anyway if you want.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #48 of 230
No, because the Calyx M doesn't have a dedicated LO, it would be double amping. I can do it anyway if you want.
I do always double amp it with the VorzAMP Duo II (that cost twice me as much as the Calyx M right now, alas) and it works wonderful. I know, it’s not the perfect way to go but it might be worth a shot, so if you want to try it with your amp, it can’t hurt I guess (except you listen too loud hahahaha)

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #49 of 230
Double amping doesnt always mean it will sound bad.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #50 of 230
Double amping doesnt always mean it will sound bad.
Did I say that? I just have no use as the Calyx M drives everything I throw at it with ease and maestria. The DTR1 gets some benefits (soundwise) being stacked with the HA-2.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #51 of 230
I do always double amp it with the VorzAMP Duo II (that cost twice me as much as the Calyx M right now, alas) and it works wonderful. I know, it’s not the perfect way to go but it might be worth a shot, so if you want to try it with your amp, it can’t hurt I guess (except you listen too loud hahahaha)
Good to hear. I will try then. But the Calyx M never left me wanted for more so far in terms of amplification unlike the DTR1.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #52 of 230
Did I say that? I just have no use as the Calyx M drives everything I throw at it with ease and maestria. The DTR1 gets some benefits (soundwise) being stacked with the HA-2.
Well you implied. "No, because the Calyx M doesn't have a dedicated LO, it would be double amping. I can do it anyway if you want."

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #53 of 230
Well you implied. "No, because the Calyx M doesn't have a dedicated LO, it would be double amping. I can do it anyway if you want."
I see your point. Well, I did not want to say that it automatically will sound bad or makes the Calyx M sound worse, but the idea of double amping do not attract me to be honest. I had a Cowon Plenue M2 with optical/coax out, but no LO. I used to double amped the signal via the FiiO A5. For me, it did affect the sound, not for the better unfortunately. That's why, without having tried other DAP/Amp combos in double amping mode, I just do not do it. And for my tastes and needs, the Calyx M is fine as it is.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #54 of 230
I see your point. Well, I did not want to say that it automatically will sound bad or makes the Calyx M sound worse, but the idea of double amping do not attract me to be honest. I had a Cowon Plenue M2 with optical/coax out, but no LO. I used to double amped the signal via the FiiO A5. For me, it did affect the sound, not for the better unfortunately. That's why, without having tried other DAP/Amp combos in double amping mode, I just do not do it. And for my tastes and needs, the Calyx M is fine as it is.
Well, Fiio A5 isn't the best portable amp on the market, so maybe that's why I didn't sound good. Of course it also might be because of double amping. As said, I don't feel that way with the Calyx and the vorzamp. Maybe it´s also a miss and match thing. Also what headphones are used etc. etc.

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #55 of 230
Well, Fiio A5 isn't the best portable amp on the market, so maybe that's why I didn't sound good. Of course it also might be because of double amping. As said, I don't feel that way with the Calyx and the vorzamp. Maybe it´s also a miss and match thing. Also what headphones are used etc. etc.
Don't forget our own pair of ears :wink:. FiiO A5 is a quite good amp I think, even if a tad colored. The HA-2 is really impressive, with a more neutral presentation with lots of power. It also seems to tame the hiss picked by BA-only IEMs, a great addition to the DTR1.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #57 of 230
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #58 of 230
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #59 of 230
Thank you mate for checking it out for me! Do you know any reviews of the HA-2? Or is it too new to the market? I would love to read what pro reviewers say how this amp compares to other portable amps.
I did not see any pro reviews and comparisons so far. I will let you know if I do.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #60 of 230
Thank you mate for checking it out for me! Do you know any reviews of the HA-2? Or is it too new to the market? I would love to read what pro reviewers say how this amp compares to other portable amps.
"Pro" meaning paid reviewers ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back