Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #931 of 2,316
The majority of my listening is done at either Medium gain at maximum (55-60) or High gain at settings 35-45. This is using relatively 'inefficient' Final E5000 IEM's, but still there is reasonable headroom and that's before having my ears syringed, which I will do soon :ksc75smile:

I also believe there is a difference in sound when comparing Medium and High gain; even when played at the same 'actual' volume, High gain sounds a little fuller, weightier and more dynamic. This is obviously to my ears only and may have no actual basis :)

What is it you would like to see addressed by firmware?

Yes, im not sure if im imagining it, but i feel high gain sounds better to me too.
Volume levels are big between tracks, so that could do with a software adjustment.
But especially dsd's need the usual volume 6 step adjusting

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #932 of 2,316
Yes, im not sure if im imagining it, but i feel high gain sounds better to me too.
Volume levels are big between tracks, so that could do with a software adjustment.
But especially dsd's need the usual volume 6 step adjusting

I have no experience with DSD's at all sorry. Everything I listen to at the moment are CD converted FLAC's as I am converting my collection to disk. Are you talking about the dynamic range of different tracks from the same 'album/artist' or differences when you are listening to a compilation from different recordings?

For me, within the same 'album' I really like the differences in volume between tracks and find with the DTR1 that it is true to the original CD recording and obviously made to be this way for dramatic and creative effect. However, when listening to a 'compilation' copied from various sources, I think it is par for the course that recordings are hugely different when it comes to their 'levels' and has become the subject of much debate over many years. Personally, I don't like anything that 'limits', shapes or compresses sound, unless it is at the pre-recording stage and carried out to enhance the subsequent recording by the artists themselves or their engineers.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

My apologies if I have misinterpreted what you mean :)

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #933 of 2,316
I have no experience with DSD's at all sorry. Everything I listen to at the moment are CD converted FLAC's as I am converting my collection to disk. Are you talking about the dynamic range of different tracks from the same 'album/artist' or differences when you are listening to a compilation from different recordings?

For me, within the same 'album' I really like the differences in volume between tracks and find with the DTR1 that it is true to the original CD recording and obviously made to be this way for dramatic and creative effect. However, when listening to a 'compilation' copied from various sources, I think it is par for the course that recordings are hugely different when it comes to their 'levels' and has become the subject of much debate over many years. Personally, I don't like anything that 'limits', shapes or compresses sound, unless it is at the pre-recording stage and carried out to enhance the subsequent recording by the artists themselves or their engineers.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

My apologies if I have misinterpreted what you mean :)
Oh thanks for an interesting read, but i mean actual loudness, some tracks are very quiet next to more modern loud mastering, most daps have the option to Normalise Volume.
Otherwise, im totally up for the old school mastering, lower volumes and better dynamic range.
Absolutely in love with this dap.
Even tho i just fell in love with Plenue L, they compliment each other great

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #934 of 2,316
I found it with me, the most significant changes found it on my Ibasso Dx150 & DX90j. Well maybe that just me.
Semiconductors (op-amps, transistors and logic ICs like DACs) don't degrade their parameters with time, although they could change their parameters with different power supply voltage/quality or with ambient temperature variations, thus there is no burn-in to be observed as it might be the case with degrading characteristics of tubes in tube amps.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #935 of 2,316
Hello there. New owner here. Just to be sure what is the dtr1 dsd capability ? DSD 256? Im all stream right now (sp1000). So i will need to refill my sd card with dsd files to try and listen to my own ears if the hype is real.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #936 of 2,316
Hello there. New owner here. Just to be sure what is the dtr1 dsd capability ? DSD 256? Im all stream right now (sp1000). So i will need to refill my sd card with dsd files to try and listen to my own ears if the hype is real.
Welcome to the DTR1 owner's club. Sorry, I have no dsd files, so I cannot say.

Just an information: it is not a question of "hype" anymore, the DTR1 is an established killer dap :) - don't take me too seriously, but afaik, it's true, the DTR1 only got very positive reviews when it comes to SQ

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #937 of 2,316
Welcome to the DTR1 owner's club. Sorry, I have no dsd files, so I cannot say.

Just an information: it is not a question of "hype" anymore, the DTR1 is an established killer dap :) - don't take me too seriously, but afaik, it's true, the DTR1 only got very positive reviews when it comes to SQ
This SQ is what make me go for it. Will be difficult to wean from the stream services.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #938 of 2,316
This SQ is what make me go for it. Will be difficult to wean from the stream services.
Sure, streaming is easy and practical. I just stream via Tidal in my car or with kids at home via BT speakers, but for my listening sessions I trust my SD-cards full of lossless tracks or CD-rips. Old-school manners for an old-school dap, I guess

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #940 of 2,316
No DTR1 can't do DSD256, not even DSD128.
Really? Why ? Ak4490 is capable, right ? Whst kind of high res file this support ? I remeber see dsf in somewhere. Dsf isnt the file format of dsd ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #941 of 2,316
Mine is playing it with no issue except only it becomes lag P_20191205_135141.jpg P_20191205_135155.jpg P_20191205_135141.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #942 of 2,316
DSD128 plays fine
IMG_20191205_113841.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #943 of 2,316
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #944 of 2,316
DSD128 plays fine
Nice. Will see some of this file for my sd card. Where is the best place to buy music today in dsd format ? Im more chassical/choir listenner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back