Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Aug 15, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,471 of 2,316
Cool. Actually am thinking of getting the Hugo 2 to double up as outdoor and indoor use.
And also being an owner of the DTR1, was wondering how they stack up to each other, and from another user's view, whether it's worth getting.

Given the Hugo 2 is quite a bag full of coins, i'd seek some perspective. :relaxed:

IMO, you can’t go wrong with CH2 especially when you also have a DTR1 :).
CH2 it’s not perfect but the SQ it’s really very special.

Please be aware you won’t be able to feed the CH2 with the DTR1 because CH2 doesn’t have analog input.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,472 of 2,316
IMO, you can’t go wrong with CH2 especially when you also have a DTR1 :).
CH2 it’s not perfect but the SQ it’s really very special.

Please be aware you won’t be able to feed the CH2 with the DTR1 because CH2 doesn’t have analog input.

Thanks! Really appreciate the input. :relaxed:

Yeah. The Hugo 2 will be more for digital inputs. The DTR1 is good enough on its own.

Making some adjustments to my usage and settling down to something compact enough and sonically not missing anything i'm enjoying on the move. And it's odd there's no equivalent to the Chord Hugo 2. Helps that the Hugo 2 has been getting nothing but praise in the community.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,473 of 2,316
The DTR1 is good enough on its own.
Yes,.....but with its fantastic LO and a potent amp, the DTR1 unleashes sound fury:musical_score:

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,474 of 2,316
Yes,.....but with its fantastic LO and a potent amp, the DTR1 unleashes sound fury:musical_score:

hehe ... definitely. in the season of travelling light, so the HDA-HA2 is on holiday.

The DTR1 is perhaps the longest i've held a music player. 14 months and still going strong.
Still loving it today as much as the first day.

Looking forward to the H1 Honey .... :L3000:

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,475 of 2,316
hehe ... definitely. in the season of travelling light, so the HDA-HA2 is on holiday.

The DTR1 is perhaps the longest i've held a music player. 14 months and still going strong.
Still loving it today as much as the first day.

Looking forward to the H1 Honey .... :L3000:
Same boat here ahahah :wink:

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,476 of 2,316
I’m not saying DTR1 is better than CH2 because that is highly subjective.
I said I stopped thinking in getting another CH2 since I got the DTR1.
It’s different.
Both are very organic, very “bold”, very analog.
The sound is full and with a lot of details in both.
And DTR1 is highly portable. It’s amazing have such a sound quality in your pocket.
Never heard the Hugo2 but „bold“ is not a word I would combine with the DTR1, also not necessarily „analog“. I would say it’s clear, precise. If someone would want a bold or analog sounding device she/he should look elsewhere IMO.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,477 of 2,316
Never heard the Hugo2 but „bold“ is not a word I would combine with the DTR1, also not necessarily „analog“. I would say it’s clear, precise. If someone would want a bold or analog sounding device she/he should look elsewhere IMO.

Maybe wrong choice of words as English is not my native language.
I meant is not “digital”. Remember me the time I used to listen to vinyl.
I can hear all the textures. Precise is a good word.
CH2 has even more detail, IMO.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,478 of 2,316
My idea of « analog » sounding :grin:
FFAFDDFF-8FEB-4907-8994-1D204F7EB743.jpeg

DTR1 vs. Calyx M = 2 different sound signature for a common philosophy: sound first

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,479 of 2,316
I'm now listening to the DTR1 with the Etymotic ER2XR - quite an amazing combination. I bought the ER-4S about 20 years ago and always enjoyed them. There must be a problem with one of the transducers (incredible that they made it this long) and they are not repairable anymore. Etymotic said they would give me a 20% discount for the ER4SR (my wife and I are longtime customers) but I might just stick with the ER2XR - looking forward to more listening. Thanks for the tip about the ER2XR, F700!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #1,480 of 2,316
Im.png

Unfortunately, it was not possible to upgrade from 3.8 (2020021202) to version 4.0. I also found it impossible to change the firmware at all. Tried 4.0, 3.8, 1.1 - Flash drive (4 GB formatted fat32 - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool). DTR1 freezes with black screen when trying to update. After reset (by reset button), it returns to 3.8 firmware. Wrote to Anson. In a reply letter, he asks where did he get it (apparently the firmware)? A strange question - obviously on the forum - hints that the firmware is not "official" and sends me to a local distributor (since the player was not bought from him, but on ebay). Are there options to unlock the player for firmware?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,481 of 2,316
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well?

Three weeks ago, I encountered the same issues described by other members! My DTR1 (Official Firmware 4.0) failed to start, would not reset, would not update......nothing! I tried everything, but it is 'dead'!

I contacted Anson, whom was very helpful; firstly, he enquired about trying to update the firmware, but when it was clear that this could not work, he suggested I returned the DTR1 to him and he would fix it. Although appreciative, I was reluctant to return the player to China, after having two items 'lost in postal system' from there since February! As I live in the UK, Anson suggested that I send the player to Harry at GloriousSound.com in Holland, which I did on Friday. He advised that Harry would attempt to repair the DTR1, if it were software related, but that if it is a hardware issue, the player would be forwarded to Anson himself. Harry has already been in contact and seems very helpful; he said that he has "equipment/software" to fix the DTR1, but that it would definitely be sent to China if he could not get it working properly.

The question about 'official' firmware makes me wonder if these issues are possibly software related; maybe there has been a corrupted firmware update or even a virus??? However, I still think my issues are hardware connected and I will be interested to hear what happens to resolve.

Anyway, I am sure my DTR1 will be repaired, however I really hope there will be no issues of damage and/or scratches, as the player is like new. The pictures shared earlier are terrible and I hope things are sorted properly for any members affected :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your updates which have been really helpful and I will let the forum know how things proceed :)

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,482 of 2,316
Hi Guys

Hope everyone is well?

Three weeks ago, I encountered the same issues described by other members! My DTR1 (Official Firmware 4.0) failed to start, would not reset, would not update......nothing! I tried everything, but it is 'dead'!

I contacted Anson, whom was very helpful; firstly, he enquired about trying to update the firmware, but when it was clear that this could not work, he suggested I returned the DTR1 to him and he would fix it. Although appreciative, I was reluctant to return the player to China, after having two items 'lost in postal system' from there since February! As I live in the UK, Anson suggested that I send the player to Harry at GloriousSound.com in Holland, which I did on Friday. He advised that Harry would attempt to repair the DTR1, if it were software related, but that if it is a hardware issue, the player would be forwarded to Anson himself. Harry has already been in contact and seems very helpful; he said that he has "equipment/software" to fix the DTR1, but that it would definitely be sent to China if he could not get it working properly.

The question about 'official' firmware makes me wonder if these issues are possibly software related; maybe there has been a corrupted firmware update or even a virus??? However, I still think my issues are hardware connected and I will be interested to hear what happens to resolve.

Anyway, I am sure my DTR1 will be repaired, however I really hope there will be no issues of damage and/or scratches, as the player is like new. The pictures shared earlier are terrible and I hope things are sorted properly for any members affected :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your updates which have been really helpful and I will let the forum know how things proceed :)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you will get back your unit in good condition and working. Keep us informed.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,483 of 2,316
If Anson read this thread, it would be good to publish some statistics and report about the issues users came across lately and how these have been solved.
It might take some weeks or months to get them, but who will now buy a new DTR1 with so many reported issues?
I believe in Anson’s capabilities to solve problems of any kind, but we need transparency about what’s going on

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,484 of 2,316
Im.png
Unfortunately, it was not possible to upgrade from 3.8 (2020021202) to version 4.0. I also found it impossible to change the firmware at all. Tried 4.0, 3.8, 1.1 - Flash drive (4 GB formatted fat32 - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool). DTR1 freezes with black screen when trying to update. After reset (by reset button), it returns to 3.8 firmware. Wrote to Anson. In a reply letter, he asks where did he get it (apparently the firmware)? A strange question - obviously on the forum - hints that the firmware is not "official" and sends me to a local distributor (since the player was not bought from him, but on ebay). Are there options to unlock the player for firmware?
Is the player working under fw 3.8?

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,485 of 2,316
I'm now listening to the DTR1 with the Etymotic ER2XR - quite an amazing combination. I bought the ER-4S about 20 years ago and always enjoyed them. There must be a problem with one of the transducers (incredible that they made it this long) and they are not repairable anymore. Etymotic said they would give me a 20% discount for the ER4SR (my wife and I are longtime customers) but I might just stick with the ER2XR - looking forward to more listening. Thanks for the tip about the ER2XR, F700!
My pleasure :wink: this combo is a killer one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back