Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #1,336 of 2,313
Please help with sorting of files

I got my DTR1 delivered yesterday and I have copied 500mb of music to the memory card and the DTR it plays just fine. They are sorted like: each folder-band-album-songs 1 to x = lots of folders and each track like its sorted on the original CD.

The DTR sort files alphabetically and thats NOT what I want. It gets confusing when listening to a live album when the playing order is not what the band was playing the concert like.

Is there a configuration I can do to get sorting numerical instead of alphabetical? Or is there another way to get around this issue?

cheers
Ferrum

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,337 of 2,313
I have a problem with my dtr1. DTR1 does not turn on. I have not used the player for about two weeks, battery must've discharged during this time. Strangely dtr1 continues to charge after being fully charged. I was unable to turn on dtr1. I sent it to Anson for repair. Am I the only one who has such a problem? :slight_frown:

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,338 of 2,313
I believe I'm getting mine today (have been waiting forever-shipping is a mess since the COVID-19 situation started, seemed to be stuck in Los Angeles for weeks, but tracking says I get it today). Have been loading up an SD card to prepare...

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,339 of 2,313
I have a problem with my dtr1. DTR1 does not turn on. I have not used the player for about two weeks, battery must've discharged during this time. Strangely dtr1 continues to charge after being fully charged. I was unable to turn on dtr1. I sent it to Anson for repair. Am I the only one who has such a problem? :slight_frown:
Sorry to hear that. Never experienced such thing since the purchase in May 2019. I have to admit I am listening to it 5 days a week and always look that the battery has 2 bars left before shutting it down and charging again. Well, you have sent your unit to Anson. He will take care of you and you will get a functionning unit back in a few days or maybe weeks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,340 of 2,313
Sorry to hear that. Never experienced such thing since the purchase in May 2019. I have to admit I am listening to it 5 days a week and always look that the battery has 2 bars left before shutting it down and charging again. Well, you have sent your unit to Anson. He will take care of you and you will get a functionning unit back in a few days or maybe weeks.
I'm considering to buy a backup player (qls 360), because in my case I was left without music on the go and it sucks. I hope it all works out. :fingers_crossed:

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,341 of 2,313
I'm considering to buy a backup player (qls 360), because in my case I was left without music on the go and it sucks. I hope it all works out. :fingers_crossed:
Yes, right decision. QLS 360 certainly is not the worst choice :wink:

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,342 of 2,313
Help determine which sound is better - mojo or DTR1.
Three people for the prelude, one for the mojo, two more were undecided.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,343 of 2,313
It did come today, just got to listen a small amount. Pushy little bugger, no? (not in a bad way, but the music just jumps out). I have to play with settings a bit (was listening to an old Final Audio Heaven V, I think it needs lower gain than it was set to. The lowest volume setting was still loud)..
What happens if you add their amp?

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,344 of 2,313
It did come today, just got to listen a small amount. Pushy little bugger, no? (not in a bad way, but the music just jumps out). I have to play with settings a bit (was listening to an old Final Audio Heaven V, I think it needs lower gain than it was set to. The lowest volume setting was still loud)..

hey man, are you on the the latest firmware? the bit where music jumps out, I have not experienced that. Been using it since mid last year as well.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,345 of 2,313
My English being basic, what do you mean by pushy little bugger? I understand this statement as being positive, like it's a small powerful device, something you did not expect at first. If not, please correct me.

With sensitive and low impedance IEMs, the DTR1 is going loud enough, no amp (HA-2) required. With BA IEMs, even if sensitivity is high and impedance low, the DTR1 might cause hiss, which can be solved by adding the aforementioned amp. Quite a paradox, but it works, I have tested myself. The HA-2 is highly recommanded for full-sized headphones and demanding IEMs, no matter the drivers. It opens the soundstage a bit and slightly improve imaging and also resolution. Not night and day difference, but it's there, at least from my personal experience.

In my case, Final E5000, Etymotic ER2XR, Sony N3, Pears SH-2 (2BA) and Blon BL-03 all benefit from the HA-2.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,346 of 2,313
I'm not sure if I'm on the latest firmware, @dogtagkz, how do I tell? I didn't actually mean it as a criticism, it was just surprising to me (I think it is very nice sounding). I did have to play with the gain a lot-often it was very loud with my iem's, and it seemed not to be consistent. That is, with the same iem, I could manage on low gain or medium gain, and it differed with different albums. So that one album needed low gain with volume up quite a bit (medium gain would be too loud at the softest setting), while changing the album meant changing the gain back to medium. I do like the sound of the player-I'm listening now, line out, into an old Philips clock radio/CD player I have here, and it sounds very nice (better than the internet radio I had on before, by a long shot). I so far only used iem's-the Final Audio Heaven V, and the 3003 akg 3003i (both of which had good notices when they were current, and both of which are no longer out there). I'm having trouble negotiating the UI, as well; the instructions they include are quite sparse. I seem to have it set to only play the first tune of an album, then it shuts off. I wanted to have it play random songs from the whole SD card here-couldn't get it to do it. (it does read these cards amazingly quickly-I have a 1 TB card, which I filled about half of, and it seems to update instantly).
I'm actually not a stranger to this kind of UI-the Pono, which I've been using for a while, is similarly NOT Android, and requires scrolling and playing around (it does have a touch screen, though that is often more trouble than a help).
Any place I can get more info on using this thing?
Jack

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,347 of 2,313
I'm not sure if I'm on the latest firmware, @dogtagkz, how do I tell? I didn't actually mean it as a criticism, it was just surprising to me (I think it is very nice sounding). I did have to play with the gain a lot-often it was very loud with my iem's, and it seemed not to be consistent. That is, with the same iem, I could manage on low gain or medium gain, and it differed with different albums. So that one album needed low gain with volume up quite a bit (medium gain would be too loud at the softest setting), while changing the album meant changing the gain back to medium. I do like the sound of the player-I'm listening now, line out, into an old Philips clock radio/CD player I have here, and it sounds very nice (better than the internet radio I had on before, by a long shot). I so far only used iem's-the Final Audio Heaven V, and the 3003 akg 3003i (both of which had good notices when they were current, and both of which are no longer out there). I'm having trouble negotiating the UI, as well; the instructions they include are quite sparse. I seem to have it set to only play the first tune of an album, then it shuts off. I wanted to have it play random songs from the whole SD card here-couldn't get it to do it. (it does read these cards amazingly quickly-I have a 1 TB card, which I filled about half of, and it seems to update instantly).
I'm actually not a stranger to this kind of UI-the Pono, which I've been using for a while, is similarly NOT Android, and requires scrolling and playing around (it does have a touch screen, though that is often more trouble than a help).
Any place I can get more info on using this thing?
Jack
Post nr 1265 a few pages back might help you in organizing your music. In settings menu, you can choose to have your music played through folders, meaning not stopping after one song or one album. Random play actually is quite easy. On the main screen, choose the second menu from the left. You have all your music stored in alphabetical order. Activate Shuffle mode in settings and then play your music from the aforementioned menu. It will work. Fw also is mentioned in the settings. First option -> Informations. You should have 3.8 at least. In order to update firmware, Dethonray's website gives you clear instructions how to do it (beware SD-Format).

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,348 of 2,313
I'm not clear on this (I looked back at post 1265), pardon my slow take on it. You created a master folder called "artists", another called "album", another called "genre", then dragged all the music in these folders? Did you have to do anything with the naming of the albums themselves?

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,349 of 2,313
I'm not clear on this (I looked back at post 1265), pardon my slow take on it. You created a master folder called "artists", another called "album", another called "genre", then dragged all the music in these folders? Did you have to do anything with the naming of the albums themselves?
Easy no problem. I will post pictures tonight, but yes, you have to write all the folders, it's a bit time consuming, but afterwards it's done once for good

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #1,350 of 2,313
@doctorjazz - there are many ways to organize a library, you know it. What follows is my system, the one which perfectly works for my listening habits. The DTR1 sometimes requires patience and dedication to get the best out of it (like a lot of things in life). Not the perfect UI, but a stable one.

1) Create folders in your SD card and then use the fourth icon from the left on the main menu (in red) - please read the end of my post before organizing your sd-card

IMG_20200619_204405.jpg

2) I have mixes (electronic music compilations, which require gapless playback) and single tracks stored under 2 dedicated folders (1A mixes & 1A various). Then, below these 2 folders, come all the artists names (first artist is named "36" - very nice ambient producer actually)

IMG_20200619_190737_resize_97.jpg

3) Ok, now, for example, the selected artist is "Cocteau Twins"

IMG_20200619_190841_resize_34~2.jpg

4) Clicking on this folder brings me to the album selection (sub folder) from the artist

IMG_20200619_190849_resize_22~3.jpg

5) Finally, clicking on the album brings me to the tracks of the album (sub sub folder)

IMG_20200619_190858_resize_22.jpg

This "system" requires to organize your music the exact same way on your sd-card!

I hope I could help you a bit further.

Yes, it is a bit of a hassle. I have now 5600 tracks on the player and it demands a bit of patience, also by adding new music (I do it twice a week). But hey, it is the hobby of ours :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back