Determining the greatest headphone of all time, with poll
May 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
For some, my included poll may be a little strange because I group completely unrelated headphones together. When you vote, please write a post below specifying which headphone of the grouping is your favorite. A few months from now, if this thread sustains, I will put together a chart, and we can determine a list of head-fi's top 10 favorite headphones.

May 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 44
Hmm... That's a tough choice. From what I've heard, I haven't found a best. What I have found is that the high end phones from each company represent different flavors, and it may just depend on what sound signature I feel like listening to. I'm sure a lot of people have found their favorite flavors, but personally, I'm still listening around.

May 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 44
I honestly don't think too many people have heard enough to really give an informed opinion on the subject... But if you can, power to you
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 44
SR60 is one of the absolute worst headphone I ever heard
smily_headphones1.gif

edit:

Okay for classical German Maestro. 450 Pro was good on my old DACs but the 435S with oval pads is god on the DAC19 as long as there is no vocals in the mix. The perfect person child between the K701 and HD 650.

Otherwise as allrounders Ultrasone as in Pro 900/Edition 8 still impresses me more then the other headphones I own or have owned.

May 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 44
Whatever headphone I own.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 44
my vote is for sr60.
it's the best because without it many of us wouldn't be here now...

let the little guy win it!!!!
wink.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't think too many people have heard enough to really give an informed opinion on the subject... But if you can, power to you
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard them all except the HE5-LE, and I don't have an informed opinion. I own, or have owned, most of them. The "best" simply depends on what mood I'm in at the time, and thus which pair I happen to put on. One head, one pair of headphones. Whichever one I'm listening to at the time sounds way better than all of the rest. It's not that complicated. If it sounds good to you, then it is good. There is really nothing to "determine" here IMO.

May 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard them all except the HE5-LE, and I don't have an informed opinion. I own, or have owned, most of them. The "best" simply depends on what mood I'm in at the time, and thus which pair I happen to put on. One head, one pair of headphones. Whichever one I'm listening to at the time sounds way better than all of the rest. It's not that complicated. If it sounds good to you, then it is good. There is really nothing to "determine" here IMO.

Ahh, but best and greatest are two very different things.
tongue_smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 44
maybe i'm confused, but i don't think the poll is trying to determine the "greatest headphone of all time".

after all, it says "my favorite is _____".

i think if people respond honestly, the results can be pretty surprising.
after all, the R10 may be one of the greastest of all time, but it's pretty hard to be someone's favorite when they haven't heard it. nor will they ever, probably. (myself included
wink.gif
)

May 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 44
Out of everything I have heard (HE60s/O2s/650s/K701/1000s etc) the L3000s were it for me, too bad they are way out of my price range but have AD2000s coming so that's always something to cheer me up
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some, my included poll may be a little strange because I group completely unrelated headphones together. When you vote, please write a post below specifying which headphone of the grouping is your favorite. A few months from now, if this thread sustains, I will put together a chart, and we can determine a list of head-fi's top 10 favorite headphones.

I do appreciate the DT48 mention, & feel they have some attributes on par or better (see my DT48/K1000 comparison blog for IE) then some of the better headphones you listed. But I wouldn't consider them the best ever by a good margin, or 2nd, or 3rd. Too polarizing, unconventional, & pedestrian sounding.. Even as great as their technical merits are IMO, (especially for a headphone that was created in 1937, with a 73 yr run,) they are still 2nd tier to phones like the 4070. The only truly hi end headphone I heard were the K1000, so I'm between a rock & a hard place, so take my pick with a grain of salt.. I'm going with the K1000.. It seems the goal of modern headphones is too replicate a good speaker system, & the K1000 is 2nd to none in this area. I'm surprised that STAX isn't getting more votes.

As far as the Beyer candidates, I think you hit the nail on the head. The 3 best. T1, then arguments can fly between the DT48/DT880/600 for second & 3rd place.. Your list is very fair & diverse..Kudos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back