Detailed Sennheiser HD580/600/650 Mod Tutorial
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears that it is an absolutely brilliant mod, unless you hold the judgement of Senn's engineers over the opinions of some guys on the internet, a mod that will lift the veil and open up the heavens, until the moment that trebles beging bouncing around inside your ears, smearing the details beyong recognition. In other words, we have the usual consensus.

I'm rippin' them suckers outta there now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

In that case, don't MOD anything, cause Sen, Grado, AKG, Sony, AT, know whats best in terms of personal preference for musical enjoyment.. No krammer mod either.. Thats bad.. Its not what the Koss engineers intended!!

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case, don't MOD anything, cause Sen, Grado, AKG, Sony, AT, know whats best in terms of personal preference for musical enjoyment.. No krammer mod either.. Thats bad.. Its not what the Koss engineers intended!!

It was humor, Bubba. Here, have another:
biggrin.gif

A serious question, though: is the replacement of the grilles with the 600 style supposed to change the sound, or is it just an aesthetic thing? And I know it wasn't covered here, but it seems that many recommend replacing the stock cable with the new 650 cable. What's the difference?

Inquiring minds and all that...

Tim

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #49 of 53
The outer foam on my 580s degraded over time. I found out about this mod because I was looking to replace the original foam. With the excellent instructions available, I removed the outer foam and I found that what I had thought was fine sound was now even better. Much better. Treble, staging, presence all improved. No drawbacks at all for me. IMHO, I think some people give the original engineering team too much credit. If they had really thought out this foam business, they would have used a material that lasts longer on a product that performs this well. Btw, I listen almost exclusively to classical music, mostly recordings of live performances.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I would say there is big difference of sound signature after this mod. For some people, they would describe it as the "veil" is gone.

There is no veil.

By the way, doesn't that cable cost as much as the cans? Will the cans really be as good as cans that are twice as expensive, with this cable swap?

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, doesn't that cable cost as much as the cans? Will the cans really be as good as cans that are twice as expensive, with this cable swap?

If you have a $5000 cd player, how expensive interconnects can you buy? Some have $15000 worth of equipment to go with HD650's, so the one cable might be worth it. It's all in the big picture, synergy and personal opinion/taste.

Just my $0.02.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 53
A serious question, though: is the replacement of the grilles with the 600 style supposed to change the sound, or is it just an aesthetic thing? And I know it wasn't covered here, but it seems that many recommend replacing the stock cable with the new 650 cable. What's the difference?

The most interesting question looks like was ignored... Me too, I would really like to know these.

May 11, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #53 of 53
This is about my beloved HD600 which I had only for a few months. First of all I'm driving them with balanced setup from Pono Player and they sound exceptionally smooth, silky, detailed, highly dynamic, luxurious, just perfect to my ears.
Everyone seems to be talking about the veil sound and lack of bass. I agree to a certain extent about the bass in sub levels, but veil ? 
Instead of removing a little foams from the back of the driver I have replaced them with a thicker foam, the bass became so much tighter and sound even more neutral. It was very easy to do using the magnified glass.
Also the foams inside ear cups were replaced with a little cut outs from my wife's stalkings (she is very generous). The very thin material stays perfectly in place by pressing the ear foams and provides excellent protection for the drivers with minimum obstruction for the sound.
Those two little modifications made HD600 even more spectacular to my ears. Bare in mind we all hear music differently, these are just my observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back