Desperate newbie in need of your help
Sep 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 39
Many people listen that way, and you might be completely satisfied. In fact, many people have line outs for their ipods that feed into amps. That would be the next logical step, if you wanted to add to it. First priority is finding something that you like listening to and would want to amplify in the first place. Otherwise, it is like wiping before you poop.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 39
EPH-100 is quite good, but come with a somewhat fun sounding sound signature that is more musical than it is technical. An excellent choice if you want an easy going IEM. SE215 isn't bad as well, but when FXD80 is also at the same price, you will lose out not to get the JVC instead.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:
EPH-100 is quite good, but come with a somewhat fun sounding sound signature that is more musical than it is technical. An excellent choice if you want an easy going IEM. SE215 isn't bad as well, but when FXD80 is also at the same price, you will lose out not to get the JVC instead.

Not sure if you noticed, but I'm not the op...

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:
Is it neccessary to use AMP with JVC HA-FXD80 to get the best sound?

Probably not, unless ye're hamstrung with an audio card that requires a medium-Z load (viz., a headset in the 100-600Ω ballpark), as does my Asus® CM1630 with XONAR® audio.  The HA-FXD80 is designed for a wide variety of consumer electronics and is rated at an impedance of 20Ω@1kHz.  Frequency response, ±3 dB, is 8 Hz - 25 kHz; maximum RMS input power, 150 mW.

(Be advised that I had to draw the specs second-hand from GeekStuff4U.com, as Google® had no manufacturer page from Japan Victor Corporation whereto to refer me.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 39
Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Tai, between the EPH-100 and the FXD80, which one are you more impressed with? IIRC, you are not as keen on the FXT90 as with these two? 

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 39
Tai, between the EPH-100 and the FXD80, which one are you more impressed with? IIRC, you are not as keen on the FXT90 as with these two? 

You are right, I am not that keen on FXT90. Don't get me wrong, FXT90 is still quite a good sounding IEM, but EPH100 and FXD80 can perform just as well with a lower price tag, so I really don't see a lot of point by getting the FXT90.

Between FXD80 and EPH100, my preference goes to FXD80 as I have explained, it is technically more accurate over Yamaha.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #26 of 39
You've piqued my interest on the FXD. I was quite impressed with the EPH-100 for its price, so a technically more accurate dynamic driver IEM sounds very interesting.
Hope you get to review them eventually.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 39
SoundMagic PL 50 is what I use, £50 and they handle my music (folk, indie, indie rock fantastically) now in no dub step expert but funt case flux pavilion ect are on my iPod and the sound magics handle that we'll enough, some more bass wouldn't go amiss but its reasonable, UK grime like Kano, scorcher, ghettos ect sounds much better on my shure srh 440 but so does everything but for cheap cheerful and BA drivers sound magic is what you want

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #28 of 39
EDIT: I had a brain-fart and didn't realise that there was a page 2. This post refers to the last few posts on page one and some of it should probably be disregarded.

Glossary of potatoo's post:
Source: the thing that plays the music
DAP: Digital Audio Player (Also, people will often use the word DAC which is Digital Audio Component)
Rockboxed (clip+): Rockbox is a change in the firmware in the chosen DAP (Firmware being the thing that kinda drives your player, controls the interface, etc. kinda like the Operating System of a computer) It is most common to do with the Sansa Clip+ MP3 player.

The iPhone is actually a decent source - It's not as common audiophile choice as it actually deserves, probably because of the possibility of receiving a call or text in the middle of your music, etc.
But nevertheless it's a pretty decent source in my opinion.
Whether you want an amp with it... well, i like having one. It's like the cherry on top of my cake, if you will. I personally recommend trying out your new earphones with just your iPhone, and if you feel like you need.. more, then add an amp :) Or try a new source, that can be exciting as well.

Hope I helped at all,
-Jaster

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 39
TDB, dac, as I understnad it, stand for digital audio converter. People usually talk about dac with desktop/stationary rigs, and talk about daps with portable rigs.

Regardless, you got the gist of it.

I kind of forgot that this thread was for a newbie (even though it is in the title
rolleyes.gif
) and probably should have explained those terms myself. My bad, OP.

P.s. there is a glossary somehwere in the wiki section of the site, I believe. Every newbiw should have it bookmarked. It helped me out a lot back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back