Desktop DAC / Amp for IEMs?
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

delancyst

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, what's a good desktop usb dac/amp that can drive sensitive IEMs well (already have a schiit lyr for headphone duties)?
Have been looking around, seems like the ALO Pan Am is highly recommended, but I'd prefer one that can be powered solely by USB.
Any issues that I need to watch out for, ie. listening while charging problems, etc?

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 9
I reckon http://www.jdslabs.com/products/84/c5d-amplifier-dac/ should be on your list. 

Quote from website:
Smart USB Charging
Powered by a large 1200mAh Li-Ion battery, C5D quickly charges from any USB port (computer, tablet charger, cell phone charger, etc.). A single LED indicates battery status: solid green while on, blinking while battery is low, or blue while charging.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 9
  Hi guys, what's a good desktop usb dac/amp that can drive sensitive IEMs well (already have a schiit lyr for headphone duties)?
Have been looking around, seems like the ALO Pan Am is highly recommended, but I'd prefer one that can be powered solely by USB.
Any issues that I need to watch out for, ie. listening while charging problems, etc?

You already decided to buy an amp? Or asking if you need one?

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 9

You already decided to buy an amp? Or asking if you need one?

Currently own a Schiit Lyr which from what I know is not recommended to drive IEMs.
I'm looking to buy an amp/dac, specifically just for IEMs

So far, I've short listed...
-AQ Dragonfly
-Apex Glacier
-Alo Pan Am "needs additional power supply :frowning2:"

What do you guys recommend? I'm limiting my budget to $500

Portable or not doesn't matter since I'll be primarily using it on a desktop, as long it is small and can be powered solely by USB.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 9

Currently own a Schiit Lyr which from what I know is not recommended to drive IEMs.
I'm looking to buy an amp/dac, specifically just for IEMs

So far, I've short listed...
-AQ Dragonfly
-Apex Glacier
-Alo Pan Am "needs additional power supply :frowning2:"

What do you guys recommend? I'm limiting my budget to $500

Portable or not doesn't matter since I'll be primarily using it on a desktop, as long it is small and can be powered solely by USB.

I wouldn't recommend any for IEMs.

But there are plenty of other members who'll have suggestions.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 9
  hmm, any reason why they aren't suited for IEMs?

If your current source is adequate (doesn't have a very high output impedance) and the volume is suitable, the IEMs are receiving all the power they need.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 9

If your current source is adequate (doesn't have a very high output impedance) and the volume is suitable, the IEMs are receiving all the power they need.

my source would be a PC which only has an onboard soundcard. 
if just using onboard audio, I would need a 1/8" extension cable to reach the back of the PC.
hence would rather go for a dedicated amp/dac setup.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 9
my source would be a PC which only has an onboard soundcard. 
if just using onboard audio, I would need a 1/8" extension cable to reach the back of the PC.
hence would rather go for a dedicated amp/dac setup.

Alright. That clears it up. Usually IEMs are used with portable devices, hence my question.

I would suggest amps with power supply. Some can be charged with usb but have their own batteries. Good to isolate the dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back