Desktop Audio Setup. HELP!
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 23
If you have any idea what sorta sound signiture do you like? Brighter more foward sound or maybe something warmer and more euphonic?

I like a very detailed soundstage that doesn't lack bass. That being said, it's important the bass isn't overdone.

Have you ever given the 1More Quad Driver a listen? I really like them, but they could use a tad more bass (which I believe most In ear headphones could benefit from)

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 23
If you're mostly PC gaming then I'd highly suggest getting a custom 5.1 surround setup, like my original one which cost me under $800. No headphone can ever dream of competing with that obviously lol. You might like the speakers (at least in 2.1 mode) more for music as well due to their presentation/sound stage and the presence of a subwoofer.

As a (mostly) FPS a speaker setup is not an option. I need to be able to track people through walls using sound, which for me at least is a nogo with speakers :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 23
I will second the NFB 11.28 and don't worry about the odd ordering method. They are very legit (watch any review of any of their products). As of gaming cans I am still looking for the perfect pair. Right now I am using AKG 7XX but there is not enough bass and I want closed cans because I game in the same room as my wife. I have on order the modhouse Argons. I can let you know about them when they get here in a few weeks.

Thanks for your reply!
I would be very interested in hearing about the new set of heasphones you've ordered once you've had the chance to test them a little. So please write a reply or a pm once you've got them at hand :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 23
Thanks for your reply!
I would be very interested in hearing about the new set of heasphones you've ordered once you've had the chance to test them a little. So please write a reply or a pm once you've got them at hand :)
At a budget of roughly 1K I wanna say go with something like the Focal Elex and an AGD amp/dac combo like the NFB 1.28 (as purpleangel said). It has plenty of bass, good extention, and nice imaging. The soundstage isnt that wide maybe slightly more so than the HD600. It lends itself to the full spectrum nicely and the imaging is good for positional audio so it should tick most the boxes. There is other choices in this range like the AD2000 but that lacks a bit of bass get up and go.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 23
As a (mostly) FPS a speaker setup is not an option. I need to be able to track people through walls using sound, which for me at least is a nogo with speakers :)

It's a no go with speakers you have used. Surround sound is obviously FAR better for this than a headphone, as you will have separate speakers to your sides/behind you, and speakers are just capable of far better sound stage and imaging due to their inherent design. Cheap powered stereo speakers obviously won't demonstrate this, but it's pretty clear to see that being surrounded by speakers is best, versus stereo headphones. Two channels vs five or seven, being surrounded by speakers and actually having sound coming from your sides and rear vs having two speakers directly over your ear trying to simulate sounds coming from your sides and behind you.

In all honesty headphones are for on the go music listening, studio monitoring, and budget at home music listening and nothing more. This is coming from someone who has listened to all sorts of top tier headphones, and has owned a Stax SR-007 setup for a year and a half or more, and lower end stuff like the Sennheiser HD 6XX, AKG K7xx, Beyerdynamic DT 880, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #21 of 23
It's a no go with speakers you have used. Surround sound is obviously FAR better for this than a headphone, as you will have separate speakers to your sides/behind you, and speakers are just capable of far better sound stage and imaging due to their inherent design. Cheap powered stereo speakers obviously won't demonstrate this, but it's pretty clear to see that being surrounded by speakers is best, versus stereo headphones. Two channels vs five or seven, being surrounded by speakers and actually having sound coming from your sides and rear vs having two speakers directly over your ear trying to simulate sounds coming from your sides and behind you.

In all honesty headphones are for on the go music listening, studio monitoring, and budget at home music listening and nothing more. This is coming from someone who has listened to all sorts of top tier headphones, and has owned a Stax SR-007 setup for a year and a half or more, and lower end stuff like the Sennheiser HD 6XX, AKG K7xx, Beyerdynamic DT 880, etc.

I outright disagree with this statement. And I will never NOT go for a headset while gaming.

With a headset I:
- Don't bother my neighbors.
- Don't bother the people I'm in voice chat with.
- Got proper noise cancellation.
- Got better tracking of enemies.

And more.

I'm not going to discuss this further. I however thank you for your input.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #22 of 23
At a budget of roughly 1K I wanna say go with something like the Focal Elex and an AGD amp/dac combo like the NFB 1.28 (as purpleangel said). It has plenty of bass, good extention, and nice imaging. The soundstage isnt that wide maybe slightly more so than the HD600. It lends itself to the full spectrum nicely and the imaging is good for positional audio so it should tick most the boxes. There is other choices in this range like the AD2000 but that lacks a bit of bass get up and go.

Say I buy the NFB 11.28. What closed back headset would you recommend? The reason I want closed back headphones, Is because I'm worried about sound leeking and a lack of noise cancellation. How big of a problem is this in your opinion?

The Focal Elex isn't available in Denmark and the AD2000 is hard to come by while being an open back headset.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #23 of 23
I outright disagree with this statement. And I will never NOT go for a headset while gaming.

With a headset I:
- Don't bother my neighbors.
- Don't bother the people I'm in voice chat with.
- Got proper noise cancellation.
- Got better tracking of enemies.

And more.

I'm not going to discuss this further. I however thank you for your input.

A surround sound speaker setup provides objectively much, much better tracking of enemies and it's not even debatable, it also doesn't even take experience to see this (as I said, sounds from behind you and to your sides ACTUALLY coming from behind you and to your sides, versus an emulation coming from two speakers/channels right on your ears which is just so limited and silly in comparison). Disagreeing with facts is not wise.

Also, any decent cardioid mic won't disturb anyone in voice chat. I use a 5.1 surround system with a Blue Yeti microphone on cardioid mode, others in games and chat rooms (be it Discord, Ventrilo, Steam, anything) can't hear anything despite my less than modest volume levels.

Likewise, I live in New York City so neighbors don't get any closer than that, yet they aren't bothered despite me not having acoustic sound dampening on that wall and despite me using less than modest volume levels; you have to go REALLY crank it (to volume levels that easily damage your hearing) to bother neighbors and I'd need a second subwoofer to bother anyone next door (and my current subwoofer is a 12" 300W RMS one, 720W peak).

I can see you want to believe what you want to believe and don't want to argue further, but I am just laying down (obvious) facts to dispel misinformation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back