Desktop amp for HD600 around $250
Jan 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Fringe

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I plan on purchasing the HD600 soon but have been a little stuck trying to figure out which amp to pair them with. I will be using my ipod with LOD/laptop and apple lossless tracks. I mainly listen to acoustic/rock music and would like the amp to give full sound,good clarity and some bass. I'm looking to spend around $250-300 and would like to keep the size down so i can bring it to different rooms. I was looking at the Maverick A1 or the Ibasso PB1 with the balanced cable or the Ibasso P4.I know the last two are not desktop amps but i have not found too much in my price range for desktops.Please no DIY suggestions. Any thoughts or comments would be great.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 17
I just picked up the Schiit Asgard to pair with my HD600s.  It's a very good and synergistic match.  Couldn't be more happy.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 17
That was one of my original picks but i have read on a few places including the schiit website that it runs pretty hot which was a little bit of a turn off for me. Are you finding it to run excessively hot?

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 17
No, I don't find it overly hot.  I think the heat is a little misunderstood.  In fact, my Woo 3 tube amp runs hotter.  I think the heat is a concern for people who've never used a class A amp before, and especially for people coming from ipods and their regular stereo receivers.  Class A amps are hot, and the Asgard is warm, but it is by far NOT the warmest amp I've ever owned or used.  It's nothing to worry about.  I think Schiit was very vocal about the heat because they probably knew newbies to dedicated headphone amps would be concerned because they've never felt their ipod get warm.

Quote:
That was one of my original picks but i have read on a few places including the schiit website that it runs pretty hot which was a little bit of a turn off for me. Are you finding it to run excessively hot?

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 17
That's good to hear thanks for clearing that up. I will have to start looking into the asgard again since it does look like a good option for me. I did notice the only input on the asgard looks like a RCA so would i have to buy a new LOD from my ipod or just get a 3.5 to RCA adapter?Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 17
I would get a the LOD adpater because that will be a clean, unamplified signal.  Using the headphone jack is amplified, and it's not good to amp and amped signal.  It will not sound as good.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 17
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 17
Kicas Caliente - works great for the Senn600/650, and is very affordable.  I replaced it with the DIY Bottlehead Crack, but the Kicas is a solid unit.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 17
That would be just fine.  I'm no believer in fancy cables because I don't think interconnects have any bearing on the sound.  Also, adapters in the line also have very little to no effect on the sound quality.  Get the cable and be done with it.  It'll work great.

I do like the appearance of thicker cables and I think they last longer, but they have no impact on sound.  I like monoprice cables.  Here's what I would get:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

Or, if your dock has a female connection, this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5596&seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Sorry i should have clarified a little bit. I meant would buying a adapter for my current LOD to plug into with a with a female 3.5 to RCA have better SQ than purchasing a new LOD with RCA inputs because I'm not looking to spend a alot of money on a new cable if i don't need to. I referenced a example of what i meant below. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks everyone for the feedback!! The Purity Audio website says they are no longer making amps so the kicas Caliente is out since I'm looking to buy new.I'm going to look into the asgard some more but i found a disturbing youtube video with the asgard nearing ruing a pair of K702 but I'm not sure if this is just internet fiction or if this was a early production problem that has been fixed on newer units.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 17
They added a relay switch to prevent this problem.  Any new Asgard made in the last few months has this correction.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback!! The Purity Audio website says they are no longer making amps so the kicas Caliente is out since I'm looking to buy new.I'm going to look into the asgard some more but i found a disturbing youtube video with the asgard nearing ruing a pair of K702 but I'm not sure if this is just internet fiction or if this was a early production problem that has been fixed on newer units.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 17
Anyone know of a comparison between the Asgard and the maverick A1 since it seems these would be the two best options and i didn't find anything from a search.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 17
While I cannot speak about the Maverick A1, I did have the Maverick D1.  I also now have the Asgard.  There is no comparison in quality in construction or sound.  The Asgard wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back