Desktop amp for AD700 and K701...
Feb 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Hola everyone. My current components on my gaming rig set up for almost purely competitive play is as follows. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD card with Audio Technica AD700 cans and an AntLion ModMic. All of these were bought in the last month based on recommendations from the good people of this community. Before this last month, I just didn't really put a lot of effort into strengthening my audio components. The setup is great and I'm really impressed with the directional audio, but now that I've had a taste of how great this new found world has been, I want more.

I would love to get a desktop amp to put in between the card and the cans, but I don't make uneducated purchases and I really don't understand the concepts of amping devices beyond the idea that is makes things awesomer. Headphone specs, in general, I'm pretty weak on, so that why I'm here talking to you guys and gals. I was thinking the FiiO E09K would be a good amp, but I'd like your feedback before any action is taken. As you read above, I currently am using an AD700 and see myself continuing on with them for a couple more months. What I'd like to do is get an amp that will power the AD700 cans while I still use them, but be someone future proof when I later decide to step up to something like the AKG K701 cans.

So onto the questions I suppose. Is there a crash course someone can give me or point me to where I can get some basics of the fundamentals with headphones, amping, and their specs down? What would be a good amp for my needs? And finally a reality check... Am I being ridiculous in any way?

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 4
After going through a bit more reading, it sounds like you guys are going to recommend that there is no point in amping the AD700 due to its low ohms (whatever that is). That's fine if that's true. Assuming it is, I guess a follow up question is in order. Knowing I'm moving to a pair of AKG K701 cans or something else that's going to require a little more power, is it bad in terms of sound degradation or physical damage to use an amp that may be overpowered for a particular headphone. Again, I'll use the case of something like the E09K on the AD700 just because that's what I've looked into.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 4
It will always do the headphones good unless you want to damage them by turning the volume too high. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to hook up your headphones to a speaker amp too..

You will most likely gain a small boost in sound quality, low impedance or not.

If you want something futureproof and nice looking maybe look into the Schiit Magni?

With your upcoming headphones, what do you want to use them for, what type of music do you listen to, and what kind of sound signature do you want.

Lastly, it is very hard to judge an amp based on specs, better go for reviews. And also take what you hear with a grain of salt. People tend to exaggerate things a bit at times...

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
It will always do the headphones good unless you want to damage them by turning the volume too high. Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to hook up your headphones to a speaker amp too..

You will most likely gain a small boost in sound quality, low impedance or not.

Right on. So it sounds like I will be buying something that is made for the ones to replace the AD700.

If you want something futureproof and nice looking maybe look into the Schiit Magni?

Lastly, it is very hard to judge an amp based on specs, better go for reviews. And also take what you hear with a grain of salt. People tend to exaggerate things a bit at times...

Schiit Magni. Ok, I'll look into that one as well. I'll check out more reviews as well. It will be good if I can find something that compares desktop headphone amps since it's sounding like specs don't matter too much.

With your upcoming headphones, what do you want to use them for, what type of music do you listen to, and what kind of sound signature do you want.

I love the sound I'm getting out of the AD700 cans for competitive gaming. The soundstage is huge and the directional audio is amazing. Now if only I could have all that on a set of headphones that actually fit and were comfortable, which the AD700 is neither. That's the reason I'll be replacing them soon. Yes, I could do all of those mods out there to make them fit, but I simply don't want to. So the new headphones will be just as good for competitive gaming as well as be fully comfortable for long sessions without having to wrap a rubber band around them to make them fit right. From everything I'm reading, it sounds like the AKG K701 and Q701 are in my sight for now. I'm less concerned about music and movies with this particular purchase and more concerned about how well the soundstage and directional audio is performed when pushing out a CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back