Desktop Amp/DAC vs. Micro Amp + Micro DAC
Mar 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 48
LoL, its funny to read what I wrote before.

I ended up going with an Ultra Micro Stack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said you got the desktop!

I know, I know.

A couple days after placing my order I let my urges get the better of me and I upgraded my order. Haven't looked back since. This stick is probably a little bit more versatile in the end, and the upgrade cost wasn't enough to deter me.

Sorry for misleading ya'll!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 48
So HR must have just recently stopped making the Ultra Micro Amp? Its not available anymore :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 48
Yeah, discontinued. I got one of the marketing dept.'s units when they were on the B-stock page. Anyway, all that has been covered in another thread i think it was titled "where's the ultra micro" or something of the sorts...

EDIT: no sorry just titled "Ultra Micro Amp."

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 48
Congratulations -- with the $200 price drop, the Desktop is an even more attractive choice!

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 48
if you can,go all the way and get the ULTRA desktop. the best headroom has to offer in electronics and you got all you need in the package. i didn't understand if by saying "desktop" you meant to the ultra version or the regular desktop which i'm sure is also a mind blower, but stretch it to the end if you can.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 48
I understood the OP to say that his budget was $800; the Ultra Desktop is twice that.

The regular desktop is a terrific deal at the new, reduced price.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 48
Yes, I have the regular desktop with a DPS and am enjoying it quite a bit with the Senn HD650. I'm "almost" convinced that this setup will last me quite some time, but there's always a linger of a doubt if I could get even better sound somehow... But overall very happy

So to the OP or whoever else knows, is the discontinued Ultra Micro Amp equivalent to the Ultra Desktop kinda like the regular Micro stack is equivalent to the regular Desktop?

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to the OP or whoever else knows, is the discontinued Ultra Micro Amp equivalent to the Ultra Desktop kinda like the regular Micro stack is equivalent to the regular Desktop?

Yes. The only differences I'm aware of between the two levels is the inputs and outputs, as well as being in two separate cases.

So Ultra micro stack = ultra Desktop amp (in terms of innards both have the "Max" modules).

And Micro Stack = Desktop Amp (both have the "Home" modules).

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #27 of 48
Here is what Headroom told me about the two:

The Ultra Desktop amp has the Max DAC installed. This is basically identical to the Ultra Micro DAC. The only difference is how everything is laid out. Otherwise these sound exactly the same because it would be damn near impossible to hear the difference.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #28 of 48
For what it's worth, I talked to a guy from Headroom today. I was caught between the Micro stack and the Desktop amp/DAC. Note: not the Ultra stuff, just the basic models. Here are all of the differences between the two options:

• The Desktop has a different layout... It's upgradeable because it's setup in a modular fashion. The Micro is very specifically built and they can't really "swap" anything out.

• The Desktop has a better DAC than the Micro DAC. Let me say that again. The Desktop has a better DAC than the Micro DAC. Everyone seems to say that they're the same, but I was informed that the Desktop has a better, Brown-Burr chip (sorry, I don't know more detail than that).

• The Desktop has the added convenience of one box, a 1/4" jack, the brightness switch, and the extra analog input.

In addition to that stuff, I have my own speculation. Most people around here tend to say that separate is always better. Personally, I don't get that or agree with it. I understand that more components in a small space could be cause for some interference, but don't you think Headroom would sort that out? Here's why I think the Desktop would have a cleaner signal:

Desktop
DAC --> solder joint --> wire or trace --> solder joint --> Amp

Micro stack
DAC --> solder joint --> wire -->solder joint -->TRS connection --> solder joint --> 6" mini-mini --> solder joint --> TRS connection --> solder joint --> wire --> Amp

Now, that's theory, NOT practice. I don't think you could tell any difference, in reality. I ended up purchasing the Desktop Amp/DAC today based off of my bullet points. I don't see any reviews for the Desktop around here, so I'll write one when I receive it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what Headroom told me about the two:

The Ultra Desktop amp has the Max DAC installed. This is basically identical to the Ultra Micro DAC. The only difference is how everything is laid out. Otherwise these sound exactly the same because it would be damn near impossible to hear the difference.

I have both the Ultra stack and Ultra Desktop. I can't tell the difference. Wonderful sound from them. My only beef with the Micro units is the 1/8" headphone plug. I don't like them. A 1/4" connector is far better for me.

I wish the 1/8" plugs on the Micros worked like my Ed8's extension. When I plug the Ed8 into the provided extension cable, there's a snap and the connection is nice and firm. The typical 1/8" connection isn't at all like this and on the Micro Units, they have a habit of loosening up. Otherwise, they're great units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back