Desktop Amp/DAC vs. Micro Amp + Micro DAC
Mar 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a 1/4 connection have better sound than a 1/8 adapter connection for phones? I just like the 1/4 plug better cause its huge/heavy duty looking.

The size of the connection should make no difference in sound quality. You would only lose some signal if you had to use a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. In that case, as long as you're using a quality adapter like Grado or Sennheiser, you won't notice any difference. However, using a $1.20 adapter found on eBay could cause some noticeable sound degradation.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Does a 1/4 connection have better sound than a 1/8 adapter connection for phones? I just like the 1/4 plug better cause its huge/heavy duty looking.

If both plugs are properly connected, I can't say that I've heard a difference.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sh0eWax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the order is in. I decided to go with the Desktop Amp/DAC. For some reason the single package appeals to me, and I'll use it as a starting point to begin experiencing other DAC & Amp pairings. Now for the 1-2 week wait.
frown.gif

With the Desktop, you can always upgrade your electronics and/or DAC (not that I'm saying that you'll need to.)

The upgrades will get you to the Ultra Desktop Amp. This is a great option to have should you ever get the urge.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Desktop, you can always upgrade your electronics and/or DAC (not that I'm saying that you'll need to.)

The upgrades will get you to the Ultra Desktop Amp. This is a great option to have should you ever get the urge.

For anyone that's interested, I also checked on upgrade pricing today, since it's not listed online. The Ultra DAC upgrade is $600 and the Ultra amp upgrade is $300, however, I think you might need to upgrade the PS when stepping up the the better amp module. Is that correct? Anyone?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #35 of 48
^^^ Thanks. I'm assuming that if you buy an ultra it comes with an astrodyne PS that yes you will probably have to or need an upgraded PS. So to upgrade you just ship your unit back to Headroom and they just swap the guts out? Have you been thinking of upgrading to the Ultra?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #36 of 48
Yep, that's the process you go through. And actually, I just ordered my Desktop
icon10.gif
I'm planning on upgrading in the future though... that's why I got the Desktop over the stack.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #37 of 48
Unlike headroom in years past, most of their product cycles is getting shorter and shorter. To be fair, it is an industry phnomenon. But when I purchased my Cosmic amp, they came out with a reference module upgrade a year later, and then another reference module upgrade in another year or two later. Now, most of their product cycle do not even last more than a year or two. Not to say any upgrade component inside. But this is not Headroom fault, new chips, new processor etc coming out faster than ever which allow newer and better product to be available faster and cheaper. Just look at the BUDA or UDA, and compare that to the MAX amp or blockhead MAX of two years ago (I still wish headroom will come out with awesome case like that), the price is down by more than half and the quality is up significantly. So if you are planning on upgrade in the future, it may not have any upgrade for your particular model down the road as newer model can be had for lower cost and better function. For economical sake, I still belief the best value lies in the used market. For example, I upgraded to the BUDA/UDAC/DPS trio from my Ultra Micro Stack. I was only able to sell my ultra micro stack for around $600.00 when I paid around $1400.00 for it. But my system is partically 90% new. So if you can find what you want used, you will get the best value for the most function. But one can never go wrong with the Ultra Micro Stack.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

^^^ Thanks. I'm assuming that if you buy an ultra it comes with an astrodyne PS that yes you will probably have to or need an upgraded PS. So to upgrade you just ship your unit back to Headroom and they just swap the guts out? Have you been thinking of upgrading to the Ultra?

You don't need an upgraded power supply with the Ultra. I tried mine with an Astro and it sounds just fine. It just sounds even better with the Desktop Power Supply. Let your wallet be your guide.

I love my Ultra. But the regular desktop is exceptional and upgradeable. You won't go wrong with it either.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 48
never heard the headroom PSU, so I can't comment on the sound improvement with it against the astrodyne. I have the astrodynes for my ultra micro stack and it really great and powerful. the PSU upgrade is something I would wait with..unless you have the money right away. see how things go with the astrodynes first.

if you have the money,get the "ultra" desktop...don't even think about it.
if you don't get the regular desktop and maybe upgrade it later if you want.
as I said before,I am pretty sure the regular desktop is a serious mind blower too,but the headroom max electronics simply sound astonishing so it is a worthwhile investment.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #41 of 48
I'd personally not get the DPS for the Ultra Micro Stack. An Astrodyne for each Micro unit works fine. I've used both and I couldn't appreciate a difference.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd personally not get the DPS for the Ultra Micro Stack. An Astrodyne for each Micro unit works fine. I've used both and I couldn't appreciate a difference.

I also think that way. although,I never heard the DPS it seems that the tiny micro's don't need more than the ASTRO, one for each unit.
the ultra desktop is perhaps something different because it combines the dac and the amp in one box with only a single ASTODYNE unit,so maybe the DPS can make a noticable difference in that case.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #43 of 48
Do you think the Astro would make any noticeable improvement in a non-ultra micro-stack?

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #44 of 48
A well regulated linear power supply will likely make almost any circuit sound better regardless of the size or complexity. I would recommend the DPS for even the standard Micro Stack but of course it always comes down to budget.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #45 of 48
I guess my question was more of... how much better is the Astro than the regular PS?

Am I getting 95% with the stock PS and I'll see 97% with the Astro and 100% with the DPS?

I'm just trying to justify the cost... $110 is not worth 2% to me but if the DPS will give me 100% from both my amp and DAC... that might be worth it. (even though it costs nearly 3/4 of the entire microstack)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back