Desktop Amp/DAC vs. Micro Amp + Micro DAC
Jan 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Mr.Sh0eWax

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm having a little trouble deciding what amp/dac combo to buy to drive my D5000s. I know there's ton's of these threads about the D5000s, and that SS seems to be the preferred option for synergy with these headphones, also SS seems to fit my desired sound a little bit better than tubes (from what I've read).

So right now I'm leaning toward picking up a set from HeadRoom, but I'm not sure which to pick up. Right now I'm weighing the options between getting the Desktop Amp/DAC, but also want to hear more about Micro amp/dac combo. What do you guys think, what's the better option? What are the differences, other than being split apart? Any advantages/disadvantages I might not be aware of yet - since this will be my first amp? My budget is right around $800.

Right now I'm using a Yamaha Surround Sound receiver to drive my ATH-900s and unfortunately the Denons are sitting on the shelf waiting for some proper power.

Please feel free to comment on my situation in general, if you wish.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I listen to alternative, classical, hip/hop, jazz, pop (insignificant amount I would say), reggae, rock. I know it's broad, perhaps I can focus down a little bit if someone asks. Obviously different HPs will be better for some of the genres, and I will be expanding my collection. So the amp will be driving different phones other than the D5000 but I want primary focus to be the D5000s for now.

EDIT2: Also I realize that I've probably given a bit of background info that isn't really necessary, since I'm mostly wanting to hear about desktop vs. micro, but I thought I'd be thorough. Even though I'v been a member forever, I don't post much around here...

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 48
Sound-wise there is zero difference, same componentry, the only difference is 1 box and better connectivity options on the Desktop.

Regardless, HeadRoom pairs very well with Denons, as does Musical Fidelity and Audio-GD.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 48
I was in a similar position as you are when I was trying to decide between the Ultra Micros and the Ultra Desktop. I think at the end of the day, your best bet is to go for the desktop amp.

The cost difference isn't much when you consider you're getting all the extra in/out options. If you look at the price of all the adapters it starts to add up real fast. Furthermore, if you choose to go with the Astrodyne power supply in the future, you'll only need one for the Desktop vs the Micros, saving yourself $120.

The new price of 799 on the Desktop is a relative steal compared to the 999 it was a few months back.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 48
Yeah, seems like a good decision.

With regards to the components inside, the two are identical correct? I was a little concerned, not really worried, but concerned about having to get the right cabling and unnecessary connection points between DAC and Amp thats also why I was leaning toward the Desktop unit.

In terms of power supply, is there a significant improvement when using the DPS vs. Astrodyne? I don't know if I'll have enough $$$ to spring for Astrodyne right away but I also considered skipping it entirely and getting the DPS, eventually.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 48
Separate. Always separate. Audiophiles want two boxes. Not one. Always separate.
It is said that too much components in one box will interfere with each other, and slash or, the one box with too much components can pick up more external interference than having two boxes.
Always separate. Always.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Separate. Always separate. Audiophiles want two boxes. Not one. Always separate.
It is said that too much components in one box will interfere with each other, and slash or, the one box with too much components can pick up more external interference than having two boxes.
Always separate. Always.

you may be right or wrong........but I agree 100 percent I don't like combo anything!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sh0eWax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, seems like a good decision.

With regards to the components inside, the two are identical correct? I was a little concerned, not really worried, but concerned about having to get the right cabling and unnecessary connection points between DAC and Amp thats also why I was leaning toward the Desktop unit.

In terms of power supply, is there a significant improvement when using the DPS vs. Astrodyne? I don't know if I'll have enough $$$ to spring for Astrodyne right away but I also considered skipping it entirely and getting the DPS, eventually.

Pretty sure everything that matters on the inside is the same. I haven't done a true A/B of the Astrodyne vs. DPS so I can't offer much more than a summary. The DPS seems to offer an overall improvement in sound quality. The highs are slightly more extended, bass is more controlled, soundstage is widened. Is the improvement worth the money? That questions is too subjective for me to give a good answer. If you're in the US, take the 30 day audition and decide.

As for going with separates, we're talking $300 components here. Low quality interconnects will probably create far more interference than putting the components together. If this was a 2k plus system then I could understand.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 48
Well, that's good food for thought.

Anyone care to comment on what kind of synergy I should expect with the D5000? Has anyone thrown this combo together before? Any perspective?

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry, but this is a bit of an oversimplification.

Have you heard the Wadia 861SE one-box cd player?

Or some of the new digital input speakers?

The only thing for sure about buying separates is that your sepnding more on enclosures. Sound quality could go either way.

In fact, one might just as easily assume that if two functions are in the same box the manufacturer made sure thay work well together.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 48
Well I think I've decided to go for it, it will be a good starting point at least - until my tastes develop further, or my wallet fattens up; whichever comes first. Is HeadRoom offering any discounts for HeadFi members anymore?

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Well, that's good food for thought.

Anyone care to comment on what kind of synergy I should expect with the D5000? Has anyone thrown this combo together before? Any perspective?

I've used the Desktop with my D5000, it synergizes EXTREMELY well. Both have a somewhat laid back sound but the Desktop helped to control the bass and overall balance the headphone a little more.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the Desktop with my D5000, it synergizes EXTREMELY well. Both have a somewhat laid back sound but the Desktop helped to control the bass and overall balance the headphone a little more.

What was your reasoning for ultimately switching to the Compass?

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Well I think I've decided to go for it, it will be a good starting point at least - until my tastes develop further, or my wallet fattens up; whichever comes first. Is HeadRoom offering any discounts for HeadFi members anymore?

Anyone have anything to add before I pull the trigger on this thing. Waiting 1 - 2 weeks for a new toy is going to suck!
atsmile.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 48
Well, the order is in. I decided to go with the Desktop Amp/DAC. For some reason the single package appeals to me, and I'll use it as a starting point to begin experiencing other DAC & Amp pairings. Now for the 1-2 week wait.
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 48
I'm in the exact same boat with my D2000s. I know I want HeadRoom... I've purchased from them many times before, they're an American company, and I LOVE their customer service. So many people around here suggest these Chinese components that you need to buy off of eBay, or a site that is written with broken English and I have to say that stuff like that worries me. I love to know there's a solid warranty behind something. Maybe that's being paranoid but, for me, it's really important.

**off the soapbox**

In any case, I've been trying to decide between the desktop or the micro stack for a month. When you actually do the math, the stack (with a 6 inch Cardas interconnect) costs about $85 less which, for a poor college kid, is quite substantial. But I keep wanting the desktop for no real good reason. The D2000s "naturally" have an 1/8" jack, I'm not looking at getting the Astrodyne PS (a guy at headroom actually advised me to skip that and get the DPS... he said the Astrodyne is more for traveling convenience), and I keep reading around here that they have the exact same components.

Ultimately, I just like the thought of having the bigger, more impressive looking desktop. Maybe it's silly to want something more expensive solely due to personal opinion, but hey, no one around here can say much
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus, I'm thinking that someday I'll have headroom upgrade either the amp and/or the DAC to the max modules and I'm not sure they can do that with the Micros. Desktop, here I come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back