Designing my own Headphones
Dec 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #152 of 165
Very interesting thread so far. I do hope you are fully recovered now from what sounds like not that pleasant a time.

Onwards and upwards to your DIY headphones! Its threads like this which (almost!) inspire me to try something myself.

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #153 of 165
Yes Daveze those are the bottom of coke cans. Some will laugh and say impossible but we will see. I'm trying to make the phones as cost effective s possible. As this is an experiment, let's see what happens.

Hi Ross1, yes still some issues but much better than I was. Thanks for the good wishes :O)

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #154 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by valveman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes Daveze those are the bottom of coke cans. Some will laugh and say impossible but we will see.

With that amount of mass to move, it will take a lot to drive them, but if it works...

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #156 of 165
Yes the mass was a consideration but if you increase the size of the voice coil and/or the magnet (Nyodimium) and generate a larger magnetic field, the extra mass should not be a problem. The reason I'm considering this is to prevent the ripple effect that occurs in membrane type transducers. If you are able to maintain a rigid form, the sound pressure should remain consistent and instep with the program material. This is why some manufacturers use titanium. Besides here is an opportunity to learn something new and to drink some pop in the meantime while thinking outside the box.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #157 of 165
I once took some cheap 3" full range drivers and replaced
the cones with the bottoms of aluminum cans!

Didn't sound too bad, more transparent through the mids. I'm
sure if I had really driven them hard I would have started to
hear breakup on the high end.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #158 of 165
I am now making a diaphram using the pressure method. I have a positive mold in the shape of the diaphram I want. Next I use a piece of stiff foam rubber and a vise. The vise will apply presure and the foam will help to mold the material into the shape of the diaphram. Pictures soon.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #162 of 165
This is great. I'd love to see a boutique/DIY headphone market turn up like there is for amps.

I don't think the big manufacturers can justify the cost of developing and marketing interesting new headphones. It will probably have to be done on a much smaller scale.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #163 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I continue to follow your progress with a pleasant mix of curiosity and respect.

For our sake, can you expand on your experiences with the coke can bases?

Thank you for the continued interest. First the designing of drivers has required more experimentation than initally thought but having fun doing it while learning volumes. As for the coke bottoms, they turned out to have too much inertia and created problems with recovery. i.e. could not return to neutral position fast enough causing standing waves to occur.

More to come, getting closer
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #164 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is great. I'd love to see a boutique/DIY headphone market turn up like there is for amps.

I don't think the big manufacturers can justify the cost of developing and marketing interesting new headphones. It will probably have to be done on a much smaller scale.

Another head fier is making a headphone.. High end electrostats.. Still in development.. Won't name him unless he ok's it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back