Describing Sound - A Glossary
Feb 4, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover
..regarding the term shrill, I have no specific objections to adding the term, but it is worth noting that the dictionary definition of shrill is clear.

?? Which dictionary are you using? Not that it matters. I don't think there would be significant disagreement on the meaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover
Do others think that words should be included in this list if there is already a clear dictionary meaning relating to music or audio?

Yes, since just about all these terms are used metaphorically in ways so opaque to outsiders that we might as well include them here.

I'm tempted to invite suggestions for completely made-up words, but that would be silly.

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 235
another vote for the sticky here!!

*sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky sticky*

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 235
gotta bookmark this (sticky would make it easier!) as im tryin to read some of these threads on headfi. nice job

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #24 of 235
Thanks so much for this. It really does help.
600smile.gif

I was actually going to suggest that someone do this. The amount of terms here really can be daunting for newcomers.

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 235
thanks, but i prefer my own adjectives.

"the creamy sound willowmied* about my cranial theater, in an oleginious fog of rapture."

*term invented by douglas adams to describe the motions of a walking mattress.

Feb 4, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 235
as far as I know from recording, roll-off is the gradual diminishing presence of frequencies from a certain point up or down... as in bass roll-off it means that the bass is still present, but from a certain frequency down it is less and less present until it finally dies out completely. It is somewhere inbetween bass extension (= full presence) and bass cut-off (= no presence beyond a certain frequency)

correct me if I'm wrong though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back