Describe your 'moment of audio zen'
Apr 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 24
after the gym on Saturday, the sun was shining walked back to my flat listening to Paul Oakenfold Anthems (old 2000 dance tunes, uplifting up tempo etc) Binary Finary 1999 sent chills down my spine as did many other tracks. Reliving those

Rediscovering old tunes, perfect weather, nice walk = priceless

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 24
I think it is more about the music than anything else. Last night was a good example for me. I put on "Person Pitch" by panda bear and sort of came out of my trance an hour later. It was fantastic.

I would attribute 90% of the experience to the music and 10% to my gear. Of the part due to the gear, I would say that half of it was having headphones that force you to sit and just listen rather than be active while listening. The last 5% of the total was the incredible sound.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 24
That was in 2002, when I was close to finishing the pair of ribbon loudspeakers I built from plans in AudioXpress magazine. (The book with plans is here.) I finished off one of them, hooked it to a battery to check if the polarity was correct and to see if they would work. It checked out, so I hooked it up to the cheapo Sony receiver.

Holy crap. With just one of them working, I was pulled in by the smooth mids and highs and exceedingly natural sound.

But I only had one of them together, and it was something like 2:30AM and I was too tired to finish the other one. So I went to bed and left it playing.

After I woke up, I rushed to finish the other speaker. I got it together, checked it out, and hooked it up.

It was nothing short of magic. I had never heard anything so good. They still sound good to me, seven years on. The Quads have better bass extension, but the ribbons I cobbled together for a little over $200 are still superb from the mids up.

Anyhow, the day I finished the ribbons, I went through CD after CD, hearing things I had never heard before.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #20 of 24
First time I drop the Lyra Scala on Led Zeppelin IV turning on my dads Transrotor through McIntosh Reciever, through Pipe Dreams Reference...
I was standing in front of the table through the entire first side and still let the needle skip up onto the label.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 24
Mine happened in 1974 at a friends house. I heard Genisis "Selling England By The Pound" on a set of Klipsch Cornwalls powered by a Phase Linear 400 amp and a Nakamichi 610 preamp and a Thorens TD 125 turntable with a Sounus Blue cartridge....along with some very average...you know. Haven't looked back since...accept for the ...you know.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 24
Well my grandpa always let me use his portable sony discman on trips and one long trip in 93' he gave me a discman of my own and my first cd, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band. I remember how excited I was that instead of using his for this 10+ hour drive he gave me my OWN! And that was probably only the second time I had heard the beatles I was in heaven in another world hearing that album with similar visuals you would have hallucinating since I believe lsd just opens your mind like the way your imagination was when you were very young. All in all I just remember how amazing it sounded and the whole car ride looking out the window even to this day and i was only 7 years old.

I still have the discman too this day... and thank my grandfather for getting me into music so young :p

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 24
That time that I gave all of my audio gear to the poor and sat by myself in a shack listening to crickets until I died?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back