Describe your 'moment of audio zen'
Mar 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ka-boom

500+ Head-Fier
The moment it all sounded so perfect.

When the right selection of hardwares + the perfect song in an ideal format = true listening zen.

Do you ever just step back and realize how far technology has come in terms of producing top notch audio listening, from small relatively cheap players, multiple high quality formats, through sophisticated headphones these days? Especially noise canceling headphones, what a cool use of science and technology! Hurray for science.

*this message brought to you by one happy camper listening to Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971 on his Cowon iAudio 7, 320kbps, and Panasonic RP-HC500 cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 24
Have you ever seen a photo or color illustration which has two kinds of black, perhaps a deep blue-black or brown-black, and a true black? That's the way it was once with my Stax rig, listening to the beginning of a song by the Finnish band Loituma [best known for all the leek-spinning vids on You Tube, but I am a true fan (saw them live in Minneapolis)], and before the vocalist began to sing, I was distinctly aware of her mouth opening. Wow. It was like a change in the silence, or the black if you will.

If we are to call it Zen, then for me, it is the sense of the space the recording is taking place in, and other subtle aural clues.

Laz

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 24
mm love loituma, things of beauty is a good album.
@ ka-boom, my audio zen is when I get a new piece of hardware and like its sound. Then 5 minutes later i start finding things i dont particularly like.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 24
as much as i hate to admit this, my magic moment, was back on the turn of the nineties, with an aiwa casette walkman and some stock buds.

the tape was a mix tape of some obscure ambient set, i think by DJ Sy or alike

and to this day i have never beaten, equalled or gotten near the experience i had that night

ashamed to say that this immature daliance with LSD in my youth led me on this quest for high quality audio experiences, never have i had such an immersive, liquid, enveloping and atmospheric run in with music as i did via my walkman whilst under the effects of a solitary 'purple shield' blotter dose.

the music became alive and danced and echoed with peculiar intensity, texture and unashamed dominance and ridiculous holography as it coarsed through my ears into my auditry system, something i will never experience again no doubt, and yet memorable with clarity to this very day!

glad in a way that one encounter with a drug, left no ill effects but spawned another addiction which although more costly is infintely more rewarding
wink.gif

don't do drugs kids!
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 24
The first time i listened to E5C, i was shocked!

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as i hate to admit this, my magic moment, was back on the turn of the nineties, with an aiwa casette walkman and some stock buds.

and to this day i have never beaten, equalled or gotten near the experience i had that night

ashamed to say that this immature daliance with LSD in my youth led me on this quest for high quality audio experiences, never have i had such an immersive, liquid, enveloping and atmospheric run in with music as i did via my walkman whilst under the effects of a solitary 'purple shield' blotter dose.

the music became alive and danced and echoed with peculiar intensity, texture and unashamed dominance and ridiculous holography as it coarsed through my ears into my auditry system, something i will never experience again no doubt, and yet memorable with clarity to this very day!

glad in a way that one encounter with a drug, left no ill effects but spawned another addiction which although more costly is infintely more rewarding
wink.gif

don't do drugs kids!
ph34r.gif

Great post. As a former raver/club kid, I had a similar experience that I somehow forgot that you just reminded me of. Many moons ago laying alone on my bed in the dark one night, kicked on one of Oakenfold's Global Underground CD's on an Aiwa shelf unit, "Everytime" by Lustral came on and I swear I had a sober out of body experience. Amazing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 24
"21st century schizoid man", the opening track of "In the court of the crimson king", it was the first needledrop i had when trying my new amp with the 225, ever since it has been one of my benchmarks for "audio zen", drums and sax at the beginning sounded perfectly balanced, then Lake's distorted vocals kicked in...and was done
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 24
James Zabiela - Renaissance The Masters Series Disc 1. last Sunday, I was so tired after a long weekend at work. I just lay on my bed in that half asleep reverie listening to it. amazing!

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mm love loituma, things of beauty is a good album.

In the Moonlight is quite good also, but there has been nothing new for a long time. I remember that at the end of their set at the Nordic Roots Festival, the one girl (the one I have a crush on) was putting the instruments away (no roadies) and seemed put out. I don't suppose they got near the reception of a JPP, Vasen, or Varttina.

edit: In the Moonlight has the instrumental track The Bells of St Michael which is so close to my idea of acoustic psychedelia, or I suppose it could be zen too. I just wish it made up the entire album.

Laz

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

don't do drugs kids!
ph34r.gif

heeheheheee...cool...I'm feelin ya...I'm feelin ya

I have to say though I came real close the other night with The Prodigy's Invaders Must Die through the D-7000 via Classe CDP-202 and Woo WA6.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 24
I remember many, many years ago clearing out my piggy back and heading down to the local market which had a little music stall to buy my very first album and walkman. I handed over probably £20-25 back then and got in return a cheapo walkman, 4AA batteries and my very first cassette album: Europe - The final countdown.

I hurried home and unpacked it, put the batteries and tape in and connected up the comfy padded earphones. I lay down on my bed and pressed play.... Wow was my first impression as the intro to "The final countdown" started up, it sounded absolutely fantastic, i lay there and listened to both sides with the occasional air guitar accompaniment threw in for good measure.

That was the start of it all for me, every other week i was back to buy more albums not forgetting the endless packets of batteries
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 24
lol...killer! I remember those days well lisnalee. Hard to believe we can now carry around over three hundred ALAC complete albums in a tiny rectangle box and including the portable amp it's way smaller than the old "walkman". Whoa...that seems like forever ago.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol...killer! I remember those days well lisnalee. Hard to believe we can now carry around over three hundred ALAC complete albums in a tiny rectangle box and including the portable amp it's way smaller than the old "walkman". Whoa...that seems like forever ago.

Indeed how things have changed. We just take for granted being able to carry round hundreds on songs on something that you can surf the web with and probably make phone calls on.

This is were i start to show my age, that defining moment for me was way back in 1986/7 so over 20 years ago for me.

The market has been revamped since then and had a roof put over it a few years ago but sadly the little music stall is long gone, i kinda miss it..
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 24
The first time I took my Sony MZ-S1 and plugged in my KSC-50's, "ZENNNNNN!!!"

I also had a serious Zen moment once I upgraded from my old portable amp and Echo Indigo to an EMU 0404 and a Head-Direct EF1. Man, what an upgrade.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James Zabiela - Renaissance The Masters Series Disc 1. last Sunday, I was so tired after a long weekend at work. I just lay on my bed in that half asleep reverie listening to it. amazing!

X2, I discovered James Zabiela via head-fi. I love both Renaissance "Masters Series" discs 1 and 2, brilliant work! In addition to 'Masters Series", I highly recommend checking out Zabiela's "Utilities" and "One+One". Zabiela is an explorer, an innovator, he's truly special and timeless, get your groove(and gear) on !!!!!!!!!
dt880smile.png

5139ZfZdGML._SS400_.jpg

510JZMF5FBL._SS500_.jpg

41F2tn-et1L._SS500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back