Deoxidizing question
Jun 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
Hey guys, had a quick question in regards to deoxidizing when it comes to the pins on tubes. I ordered my first tube amp and wanted to be prepared in the case that I need to clean the pins on the tubes for the Little Dot MKIII I'm about to receive. I hear a lot of people talking about DeoxIT, but I wanted to know if there was a specific type of that I need? I know that the DN5, for instance, is nonflammable. Is that something that I need?

On top of that, what is the Pro Gold stuff? Do I just rub it on the pins after I clean it and let it dry? Is it worth getting? Thanks! I posted this thread because most of the stuff I found in search was talking about cleaning headphone jacks and things of that nature. Wanted to be sure I'm good to go here.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Hey guys, had a quick question in regards to deoxidizing when it comes to the pins on tubes. I ordered my first tube amp and wanted to be prepared in the case that I need to clean the pins on the tubes for the Little Dot MKIII I'm about to receive. I hear a lot of people talking about DeoxIT, but I wanted to know if there was a specific type of that I need? I know that the DN5, for instance, is nonflammable. Is that something that I need?

On top of that, what is the Pro Gold stuff? Do I just rub it on the pins after I clean it and let it dry? Is it worth getting? Thanks! I posted this thread because most of the stuff I found in search was talking about cleaning headphone jacks and things of that nature. Wanted to be sure I'm good to go here.

You could PM ZombieX as he states to using both

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 17
Deoxit is awesome stuff.  Been using it for years.  I like this version best.  It's 100% Deoxit-

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-Electric-Connection-Enhancer-Lubricant/dp/B0002BBVN2/ref=sr_1_sc_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1340127544&sr=8-5-spell&keywords=dexoit

Pro Gold (now Deoxit Gold) is more of a contact enhancer, to be used after a good cleaning with regular Deoxit.

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT%C2%AE-Liquid-brush-applicator-solution/dp/B0015A7CYG/ref=pd_sim_MI_5

If something is really dirty, I would put on a nice layer of Deoxit, let it sit overnight, then wipe with a cloth until everything comes back clean and shiny,

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Best clean the pins with a nail file or fine wire wool first, then use some cotton buds with alcohol, and deoxit last for protection.
Deoxit on its own will/may not clean the pins.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 17
subscribed

I'd also be interested to know HOW you apply it to the pins.   The only pins I've noticed that are really harsh are the Lyr stock GE 6BZ7 pins, but it would be nice to clean those up...

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Best clean the pins with a nail file or fine wire wool first, then use some cotton buds with alcohol, and deoxit last for protection.
Deoxit on its own will/may not clean the pins.

With a nail file? That sounds really harsh. I don't feel comfortable doing that, honestly. I actually haven't gotten a look at the pins I need to clean first, it's just something I want to do to make sure everything is as good as it can be. I'm getting some tube noise right now, but I also have it right next to a wireless router and plugged into a full 12-slot power strip on an ungrounded outlet. So I'm fixing all of that and also cleaning the pins. Going to buy the stuff linked above in the coming days.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 17
A nail file does sound rather harsh.  Maybe for getting off big chunks of corrosion, if that's what you're dealing with.

I collect old 8-bit Nintendo games.  I got a copy of the Legend of Zelda off ebay and the contacts were all green, chunky, and corroded.  I put on a nice layer of Deoxit, let it sit overnight, then went at it with some q tips and a bit more Deoxit until I was down to clean, shiny copper. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
With a nail file? That sounds really harsh. I don't feel comfortable doing that, honestly. I actually haven't gotten a look at the pins I need to clean first, it's just something I want to do to make sure everything is as good as it can be. I'm getting some tube noise right now, but I also have it right next to a wireless router and plugged into a full 12-slot power strip on an ungrounded outlet. So I'm fixing all of that and also cleaning the pins. Going to buy the stuff linked above in the coming days.

Quote:
A nail file does sound rather harsh.  Maybe for getting off big chunks of corrosion, if that's what you're dealing with.

I collect old 8-bit Nintendo games.  I got a copy of the Legend of Zelda off ebay and the contacts were all green, chunky, and corroded.  I put on a nice layer of Deoxit, let it sit overnight, then went at it with some q tips and a bit more Deoxit until I was down to clean, shiny copper. 

Why not, no harsh at all and highly recommended this cleaning method. I clean those oxidized tube pins with some of my wife's nail file, too
biggrin.gif
.  There are plenty of very fine, plastic make and elastic nail file for the ladies to polish and buffing their nails to shine. The file surface is very smooth feel, though. I have very good result with nail file then clean with alcohol. Nail file not only make by metal, which can be a lot of materials and have this job done nicely, why not try on your cheap tube and see how it works.
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 17
As Danny mentioned, I am talking about very fine nail files, used diligently.
I've used them for a long time on a variety of tubes including 9 pin very successfully.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 17
Well that's interesting. I'll definitely have to experiment, then. I haven't even removed the tubes from the Little Dot yet. I don't even know how! So this will be interesting once the stuff comes in.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 17
Another way I clean pins is using Flitz paste with cotton buds.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 17
So I'm going to use the DeoxIT linked, but what about the gold? The one that's linked ... I don't think I want to spend that much. Is this the same stuff? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8EA7A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1V3F5YZFEVUG6 I don't have a ton to use it for so I figure that would be enough if it's the same thing.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Looks like the gold in your link and the gold in my link are the same stuff- liquid formula / 100% solution.  The only difference is size and price.

I like Caig labs, but they offer a crazy array of products.  Cleaners, enhancers, and protectors in liquid, aresol, 5% solution, 100% solution, in bottles, sprays, pens, wipes...  :)

Here's the simple version- I like Deoxit (the red stuff) and Gold in liquid / 100% solution.  Go with whatever size fits your needs and budget.   

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 17
Will be using the red stuff linked and the gold stuff I linked. Getting 'em soon, hoping that it will solve my issue with tube noise on my stock tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back