Denon?
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jlox1

100+ Head-Fier
Well it's finally happened I have became a Denon fan-boy and I havent even heard a pair of their headphones yet, but if their comfort and sound is anything better or parallel to that of the Creative Aurvana Live! then i'll be in love. I came to ask, whats the best Denon's I can get preferably between 100$-200$ as I haven't yet had reason to leave that comfortable price range where you can get a terrific pair mid range headphones that can be driven without amping. I did plan to get a cheap fiio e6 soon though for portable uses. But for  now I just wanted to know more a put Denon from you guys, liked do they deliver good bass, good isolation? Do they leak?? Are they as comfy as they look? Also I know about the D7000's and all the ones directly out of my price range so can we refrain from making me feel inadequate lol? Thanks in advance. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 16
The Creatives Aurvana Live is a rebrand of the Denon AHD 1000/1001.  Same drivers just a little different cup shape.
I bought a 1000 at full price maybe 2 years ago...$150, since then I have recabled them using a AHD 2000 cable I got off a guy who had Moon do his 2000s.  Hands down my favorite set of cans. I've gone thru quite a few sets of other companies which are long gone. But not my Denons.  They are the perfect sound I prefer. 
 I've tried and owned much higher end sets but the Denons are my go to cans..
I know they upgraded their lineup awhile back but can't really comment on them as I never made the upgrade.
You can still find the AHD 1000/1001s on ebay from time to time, but you'll pay full price $150 or better.
If you can get the Aurvanas for even $99 I'd jump on them. Hell they can be found on Amazion for $49 all the time.
I had the AHD 2000s for a short time but sold them, I still liked the 1000s better as crazy as it sounds.
Great headphones for sure

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 16
Moon Audio still has the discontinued AH-D1001's and I think there is a discount/coupon deal going on.  While they share parts/build with CAL's, they are not identical twins masquereding under different brand names.  The D-1001's are probably the most even sounding entry level 'phones you can (still) buy.  A taste of hi-fi on the cheap.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 16
Denon AH-D2000 $215 shipped at J&R

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Moon Audio still has the discontinued AH-D1001's and I think there is a discount/coupon deal going on.  While they share parts/build with CAL's, they are not identical twins masquereding under different brand names.  The D-1001's are probably the most even sounding entry level 'phones you can (still) buy.  A taste of hi-fi on the cheap.

Yeah just checked Moon, he has Black 1001s for $150, good deal as ebay has them for $213 and their Right from Japan.
The 2000 at J&R for $215 is a steal...Fools are selling them on ebay way north of $300    ,$ 215s a nonbrainer....

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
What's the point of getting the D1001 as I heard although they cost more they are inferior the the CAL!

The Denons are better then the Cals, but only slightly..To my ears they are a little more refined..I think your next option would be to go right up to the next level the AHD 1100, but I see mixed reviews on them as the Bass being more but a little more muddy..The logical step would go right to the AHD 2000s, But now you are going into a higher price range...If you can get them for $215 as the guy posted earlier, get them asap...They run in the $300s.....I remember when I bought my 2000s I paid $205  but that's before they redid the line up and the demand became higher...The were $200 everywhere,  not so much now...supply and demand brother...:)

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
The D1100 are going for 99.99 used i think thats a great deal!

Might be something to check out,  it only make sense as it's the model one up from the 1000s...$100 , you're not gonna go broke:)

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, the bass is clean, and does not cross too much into the mids, so it can be considered "good".

If you are looking for bloaty bass and/or bass that is like having two subwoofers to your head, then perhaps the AH-D2000 would not be for you.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 16
I have the AH-D1001 (bought about 2 years ago as my work phones) and I like them a lot. I wouldn't call them an accurate phone - euphonic would be a better term, I think. They're a very musical phone, easy on the ears - good detail without being shrill. Bass is decent, not excessive. An iPod drives them easily, but they do benefit from an amp. I also find them quite comfortable. I got the silver ones, but would definitely prefer them in black.

I recently got a pair of AH-D5000's, and love them. Very pricey, though.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Under the add to cart button, it says to call for the latest price. They will tell you $249 but they will bite if you say that you read on this forum that they can be had for $215.

Quote:

Weres the $215? on j&r it says $350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back