Denon Mini hifi amp v headphone amp
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

supergolf

New Head-Fier

I am considering spending some money on some amplification on my AKG K518 headphones.

I currently have a Denon Mini Hi Fi - UD - M30.  This is connected to my Dell Vostro Laptop 1500 via the 3.5mm headphone jack, so I don't think the quality is that good and there is alot of static listening at higher volumes.

I am using high quality recordings with Foobar.

Would getting a dedicated headphone amp like the Fiio E7 connected through USB connection be alot better than the mini hif amp I am using?

Would the sound quality improve alot?

Would there be less static?

Any help appreciated. thanks!

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi, I have only time for a short answer:

Yes, the E7 will make quite a difference. With the E7 you are replacing the onboard DAC on your Dell, the crappy headphone out on your dell, the amplification of the Denon (and the cables). All with one device, digital information goes into the E7 gets converted and amplified and goes directly into your headphones.

Much higher quality sound can be expected. :wink:

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 7

thanks for the reply.  I am thinking about running the Dell vostro  > USB > E7 > Denon Mini Hi Fi.  this will probably give me some good quality listening. 

Quote:
Hi, I have only time for a short answer:

Yes, the E7 will make quite a difference. With the E7 you are replacing the onboard DAC on your Dell, the crappy headphone out on your dell, the amplification of the Denon (and the cables). All with one device, digital information goes into the E7 gets converted and amplified and goes directly into your headphones.

Much higher quality sound can be expected. :wink:

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Ok, "sounds good" :wink: LOL

But you have to order this item as well:

http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=22&MenuID=020303

This is the L7 from Fiio, this will enable you to get an un-amped line out from the E7 into your Denon. If you use the Headphone out from the Fiio E7 (the two on top) you will have a double amplification, one in the Fiio E7 and one in the Denon. Not necessary good for sound quality. 

The L7 is currently only 9,95 US on Amazon. It offers you USB in and 3.5mm out unamped so it uses only the DAC portion of the E7.

I have that too, for me I have MacBook Pro USB into -> E7 (with L7) 3.5mm to RCA into -> Schiit Asgard -> Sennheiser HD598 or Ultrasone Pro750. The Schiit sounds better than the E7 amp, but the difference is not gigantic however I LIKE the Asgards sound much better.

So if you buy the E7 make sure you order the L7 with it. And please let me know the difference between E7 amp and Denon amped sound.

All the best,
K

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 7

That sounds good but I don't know if I want to spend another ten pounds to get a better signal to the Denon.  

Out of interest.  Is there any configuration such as buying the L7 which will allow the Fiio E7 to extract a 5.1 digital sound from my Laptop and also send it into an optical cable as 5.1?   In case I want to use my laptop to watch movies with surround sound in the future. 

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and should just buy an X-Fi HD USB instead? (which doesn't get as much praise as the E7 for a headphone amp)

Cheers!

Quote:
Ok, "sounds good" :wink: LOL

But you have to order this item as well:

http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=22&MenuID=020303

This is the L7 from Fiio, this will enable you to get an un-amped line out from the E7 into your Denon. If you use the Headphone out from the Fiio E7 (the two on top) you will have a double amplification, one in the Fiio E7 and one in the Denon. Not necessary good for sound quality. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi!

Well, you can just use the E7 alone. USB in from your PC and you plug in the headphones into the E7. That should be the best sounding solution. As I said before, you don't need to put it through the Denon at all if you are listening to headphones.

The E7 is really good as DAC/Amp and I use it daily in the office with a variety of headphones and thanks to it 2 headphone outs it is also quite "social". There is nothing wrong with the amp of the E7. I just mentioned my Schiit Asgard before, because it does sound better but not by much. 

The E7 does make EVERYTHING sound better for sure.

Hope that clarifies it a bit. Only IF you want to use the E7 as DAC ONLY you need the L7. If you just as a package, then you are fine without it... :wink:

All the best,
K

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Just saw I ignored the other part of your post.

So, 5.1 will not be amplified. Also there is no application to get optical out from the E7. You need a pricier DAC for that.

But I am not sure any of the audiophile DACs would know what to do with 5.1 stuff. As far as I know, it won't work and you would need a 5.1 amp... or 5.1 headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back