Denon D7100?!
Nov 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,906 of 1,920

Put up or shut up. Are you going to use measurements to disprove his point about harmonic distortion?

popcorn.gif

Reread like a billion pages back.  Been there done that.  Like I stated I really don't want to waste any more of my time with this guy nor should any other users trying to tell him otherwise.  The same thing I was told by other forum members here is the same thing I am telling others.  The moment someone comes in and posts something positive about the headphone, he MUST COME IN and shed his opinion (which no one takes) in hopes of people magically returning the headphone.  I even went as far as to call him a troll.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #1,907 of 1,920

I could sit here and disprove every single one of his posts for days and days but I'd just be wasting valuable time.  

Put up or shut up. Are you going to use measurements to disprove his point about harmonic distortion?

popcorn.gif

To save history the trouble bgtrance tried to use graphs

Here and Here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1785#post_9693750

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1800#post_9700686

MM went through the trouble of explaining why that was wrong here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1815#post_9702462

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,908 of 1,920
Well, I saw a post where he showed you graphs and you made 0 attempt to objectively interpret them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1815#post_9702659

Is saying LOL your definition of disproving a statement? Please. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,909 of 1,920

He can't and never did. Why, because the proof is far too obvious:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

up to 5% THD in the upper-bass/lower-mids, 2% in the sub bass region, 3% at 4kHz (which is where you hear a lot of female vocals and guitars). Geez, so you not only get bloated, flabby bass, they make Stevie Nicks sound like Kermit the frog (I wish I could say that's a complete exaggeration, but it isn't). :blink:

Reread like a billion pages back.  Been there done that.  Like I stated I really don't want to waste any more of my time with this guy nor should any other users trying to tell him otherwise.  The same thing I was told by other forum members here is the same thing I am telling others.  The moment someone comes in and posts something positive about the headphone, he MUST COME IN and shed his opinion (which no one takes) in hopes of people magically returning the headphone.  I even went as far as to call him a troll.

Actually, I've talked many people into not buying these headphones. I've had at least 20 PMs asking for my unadulterated opinion, and then guided them to buy something else.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,910 of 1,920
  You guys are so wasting your time with this grandpa(Magick Man), leave him be and get on with your day.  I could sit here and disprove every single one of his posts for days and days but I'd just be wasting valuable time.  Its clear he doesn't like the D7100 and he would go to ends to tell you that.  Its because of guys like him (and many more here) that people on other major tech forums bash HeadFi now.... Sorry to be so blunt.

bgtrance, let's not get too personal, all I can say, we can report you.  So please, this kind of comment doesn't do any good for you.  Trust me.

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,911 of 1,920
Actually, I've talked many people into not buying these headphones. I've had at least 20 PMs asking for my unadulterated opinion, and then guided them to buy something else.

Lol, I should have mgsd you then, bought twice, one from Amazon and Local digital store here and returned twice. That says all.

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,912 of 1,920
Same people over and over again. You made your point stating exactly same things 200 times in cycle every single positive post... do you really have nothing better to do with your life then nervously checking for new posts in the thread of HPs you dont even own? Because it certainty looks like.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #1,913 of 1,920
Updates pop up in my subscription list, just like with anyone else. It even shows me a little number telling me how many comments there have been since I was last there. It's quite sophisticated. You mean you go through, forum by forum, checking for updates manually? :eek: Now that would be nuts.

Also, "nervously"? Not so much. I just get a kick out of the illogical, unsupported claims people make in response to what I've said. No hard facts, no empirical evidence, just a lot of vitriol and personal attacks that they erroneously believe to be counterpoints. :) I would have probably abandoned all this by now if it weren't for the consistent entertainment value.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,916 of 1,920
now the AH-D7100 sounds right to me, and sooo good. Using the Cipher cable that came with the Audeze Sine - plugs straight in and with the Audeze dsp app I EQ’d it to my liking. Was thinking of selling them before, but now a new set of HP altogether.
2ns6wxd.jpg

That's great thinking and an excellent mod that is instantly reversible too!
Don't know if Denon envisaged this as a portable headphone tho'... :ksc75smile:

Please share your listening impressions of the D7100 on Cipher cable.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,917 of 1,920
^^ Thanks Arie, not much of an audio reviewer, but the AH-D7100 certainly does benefit when using this active cable. The DSP in the Audeze Cipher cable lets one fine tune the sound to your liking. I adjusted the bass down quite a bit and then ramp up the bandwidth from there. Makes for a very entertaining listen now. Bass is now less overwhelming and thus puts the whole spectrum back in balance. The soundstage also benifits from this and with the Audeze app having a full 10 bands of EQ, everyone should be able to find the correct balance. I take note of the distortion figures and other baddies with the phones, but overall the Cipher Cable enable one to change this from a real DOG, into something quite special - that full kick-drum bass is still there, now just more in balance with the rest.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,918 of 1,920
Just reading a couple early comments here, it's funny how it mirrors the Sony MDR Z1R in so many ways. Haha.

Any D600-7100 owners I'd still recommend the Sony for a Summit fi endgame closed upgrade, Heck I bought mine exactly because it remind me so much of how the Z1R sounds.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,919 of 1,920
I had a look for my impressions notes: I had the Denons on loan from my good friend and fellow Forumer Meneer Jordaan... :sunglasses:

I was looking forward to hearing the Denon AH-D7100 Music Master Audiophile Headphone.
Having read very divided opinions online I was curious to find out if these TOTL cans really are as good/bad as advertised!

I'm not a fan of the design, much prefer the Dx000 styling. These do look like Beats. Too much plastic.
Unbecoming a flagship IMHO.
The fit is huge. Using it on smallest setting and it's spot on.
Smaller heads will not deal with these. Comfortable enough, spacious cups.
First time I put it on backwards and it felt fine...

So what does it sound like? Based on the FR graphs I'm expecting very elevated bass, sucked out mids and vicious treble.
The D7100 does not disappoint.

It's so efficient @25 ohm that I'm actually hearing some noise when playing silence on otherwise dead silent amps [NFB11.32 and Kingrex HQ-1], which doesn't happen with any of my other cans.
IEM-type efficiency in a full size headphone isn't a good thing in my book, not when one has quality amplification. That's what it's there for!

Need to run NFB11 on low gain to get any range on the pot at all.
Still, might be good out of the V20, will find out later.

Listening impressions: TL;DR : I do not like the sound of this headphone. It's a disappointment. I don't know what Denon was thinking.

In fact when I first listened to it I had to check my settings - I thought maybe Sonarworks was active and EQing it as a HD600!
Bass was muddy and poorly defined, no mids at all and shrill highs. A bit of a mess.
This doesn't sound like a TOTL headphone.

Running through the usual test tracks (Santana, Jennifer Warnes, Metallica, Acoustic Alchemy, Fourplay, NIN, Dave Weckl Band, Allman Brothers etc etc)
Deep, defined bass is missing, soundstage is actually pretty good but it's tough to pick instruments out of the mess...I mean mix.

And damn, it's hot up top.

Vocals are recessed. Listening to The Unguided and it's a wall of noise instead of the precise Nu Metal attack that a great headphone provides.
Kenny Wayne Shepherd's guitar sounds like a detuned Ukelele.

It's not a refined headphone. My K240S pretty much kills it in every department.
On a positive note, it did sound reasonably OK on some Acoustic Alchemy stuff, but that's about it.

As always, my gear, my ears, YMMV.
But yeah, disappointing.

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,920 of 1,920
I've always liked Denon's stuff. I've owned a few of their headphones in the past including Denon-AH-D5000, AH-D2000 and the AH-D1100. Also the DCD520 CD player. Always top quality products imo. Anyways, does anyone know if the Denon AH-D7100 headphone stand is sold separately from the AH-D7100 headphone? it's the coolest headphone stand i've seen and would really like one for my B&W P9 lol. Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back